The MT-07 Forum

Painting the 18 MT07

3crows

Not anything I intend to do immediately. But, I have some painting capability and equipment and have painted cars, bikes, boats etc. a few times with decent results. One of the reasons I like the Yamaha MT series bikes is that it appears all of the panels are faux covers that are easily removed and replaceable if damaged (or if I ruin them painting them). I am not talking rattle can. I am talking about using proper flex agents for plastic and adhesion promotors and using automotive /aviation grade two part catalyzed clear coat-base coat materials. Painted on or clear coated vinyl graphics. 

Has anyone removed the tank panels and tail assembly and painted them? I would powder coat the wheels to match or contrast. This is something I might do after owning the motorcycle a year or so, about the time I usually work up to yanking the OEM exhaust and getting into other mods. 

3C

• Premium Member

quite a few ppl have painted, plasi dip or wrapped the bike panels or even sharpie art...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I painted the tank plastics, including the side intake shrouds.  I sanded the intake shrouds smooth.  I just used single stage epoxy paint and epoxy primer.  All went fine.  The tank plastics, I only sanded lightly and painted directly over the factory paint.   From my experience, if you use an epoxy primer, you could do the same.  But, I'm sure other primers will work as well.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived