The MT-07 Forum

Chain Breaker + Riveting Tool

motomeek

• Premium Member

Sooooo, I try to save money by doing some things myself. 

Bought a chain breaker and riveting tool set from Cycle Gear. MISTAKE.

Used it once, had no problems... but tried to use it this weekend and broke 2 pins!!

Of course, after researching, I find that this is a common thing. Booo.

So now I'm on the search for a good quality tool to replace it with so this doesn't happen again. 

Anyone have experience or thoughts on which one I should get next?

I keep seeing the Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool  getting recommended. 

I also plan to buy a Dremel kit so I just shave down the pin heads. Anyone have a rec for that too? 

THANKSSSSSssss

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

just use the Dremel to cut through the side plates, it's fast. Don't break the tool removing the old chain. just use it installing the new chain.

• Like 2

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

54 minutes ago, motomeek said:

I keep seeing the Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool  getting recommended.

get the motion pro.   you will never regret the choice.  This is the one I use the Motion Pro Jumbo

This is a more econimical one that is as good

I can only voutch for the one I have and use, never broke a pin

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Go to Mikes XS, the guy who sells Yamaha XS 650 stuff among other things. Last year I bought his unbranded chain breaker/riveter that is the same one sold by major chain manufacturer with their name on it. It's bullet proof design is unlike the simple 'C' yoke style...worked great on my -07's 520 conversion but I always grind the end off the pins before removal to save wear and tear on the tool. Price was good also... just don't remember particulars...sorry.

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the replies! 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Bolt cutters work well too

And they're about the same price as a dremel

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Bolt cutters work well too

And they're about the same price as a dremel

SO I've heard... I just can see myself using a dremel for other purposes. 

hypnotikrobot

If you don't grind the heads first you're likely to damage the tools pin after a few uses on a quality tool. Most chain breaks have a replaceable pin as it is a bit of a wear item.

A Dremel is a wonderful tool to have around the shop. Youll find many uses for it.

Edited by hypnotikrobot
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, hypnotikrobot said:

A Dremel is a wonderful tool to have around the shop. Youll find many uses for it. 

Agreed. a Dremel is one of those tool that once you have one you just keep finding more uses for. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I'll add another vote for the Jumbo. 

I own a Dremel and a bigger grinder and never bother with them. The Jumbo pushes out those pins w/o issue. I've done a couple of chains with it and the drive pin still looks perfect -  and  there's no teeny metal filings to clean up with the grinders in the tool chest. . 

BTW, most people (me included until I did some reading) flare out the master's pins too much. You'll need the specification from the manufacturer and a caliper to measure the pin diameters before and after the squash. 

Here's a table from DID to give an idea. And this guy makes it look waaayyyy easy 

chain rivet flir.png

Edited by rick
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, hypnotikrobot said:

If you don't grind the heads first you're likely to damage the tools pin after a few uses on a quality tool. Most chain breaks have a replaceable pin as it is a bit of a wear item.

not 100% true

cheap ass chain breakers are just that cheap ass chain breakers

Grinders are for the weak and lazy

The motion pro is the best in its class, it has never failed me.

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Technique. @hyponotikrobot is right 

I have one of the Cyclegear cheapo chain tools. I've broken and reassembled.....40 or 50 chains so far? 

When I bought it I compared it to my buddies Motion Pro. Every part would interchange. That made me happy since I knew where to buy "quality" replacement pins. However, I've never needed them. The tool has been absolutely brilliant. BUT!...I don't abuse my tool by breaking the rivets, I file/grind them off first. 

My buddy with the Motion Pro keeps insisting on breaking the rivets with his tool, and he keeps bending pins. He insists because " I bought a premium tool". Alright buddy, keep buying those pins...

The tool pins HAVE to be smaller than the rivets to pass through the holes. Chain pins are TOUGH metal. You are  attempting to overpower a TOUGH piece of metal with your SMALLER pins...the smaller piece is eventually gonna fail. 

Grind the rivet heads and use a $25 tool forever. JMO. 

Edited by shinyribs

indeed, as mentioned before, i just use and angle grinder to cut the links. Unfortunately i stripped 3 of the 6 rear sprocket nuts, poor quality nuts ? and i use a easy rif 5 from afam to rivet the master link, works like a charm.

Motomeek already got the Motion pro Yaaaaa Good choice

If your breaking bending pins on a motion pro your using the tool incorrectly.  Grinding is for the weak and lazy

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 8/25/2018 at 6:45 PM, r1limited said:

Motomeek already got the Motion pro Yaaaaa Good choice

If your breaking bending pins on a motion pro your using the tool incorrectly.  Grinding is for the weak and lazy

I haven't purchased it yet LOL. But thanks for letting me know what's up. 

I was so pissed when I broke the cheap ass one, cus I knew it wasn't suppose to do that!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, motomeek said:

I haven't purchased it yet LOL. But thanks for letting me know what's up. 

I was so pissed when I broke the cheap ass one, cus I knew it wasn't suppose to do that!

Breaking pins or bending should never happen, just shows how weak the material used (Steel).  As it is either cheap chinese imitation steel made of cardboard and steel flavor like those pork dumplings from china are made of cardboard and pork flavouring made from stinky socks.

I have gone through many chain breakers because I am a CHEAP OLD TIGHTWAD, I bought the Motion Pro mentioned and never looked back, breaking chains for 10 years on the same hardware it came with.

Money spent on quality tools that are going to get use is NEVER a waste.

Having said that , in over 40years of motorcycling street and track, I have only used clip links, because they are easier to work on. Never had a breakage ...NEVER!...

Same as push/rivet pins, proper size and installation is what is needed, And change you chain when it is needed , not when it breaks.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 3 years later...

You can consider the Jeremywell chain tools kit. I was impressed by both the chain holder and breaker. It works great, and the chain has an extra tip which makes the chain link adjustment easy. It is also effortless to use and made the cutting chain quick and simple.