The MT-07 Forum

Best MT 07 FZ 07 Oil Filter is only $6

Cruizin

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1280/15040/Tusk-First-Line-Oil-Filter?v=15485

Those of you who ride dirt know of Rocky Mountain ATV.  They are an awesome retailer and they also have their own brand of parts and gear called Tusk. I buy and use a lot of Tusk products, Tusk dirtbike wheels, tools, parts and even gear. 

Tusk has been making these First Line oil filters for a while now and they are just as good if not better than OEM filters. They have my seal of approval, and at this price of $6.00 , its good to just stock up on a bunch and toss em under the bench. 

They also sell the right crush washers https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/988/49323/Tusk-Crush-Washer?v=15485

• Like 2

• Cruizin pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always used Fram. Everyone always has something bad to say about the ones they don't choose to use. Me, I say it's a waste of money to buy a $12 oil filter that I'm replacing every 3,000-4,000 miles. And for me that's not a long time. I did my 600 Mike service in only two weeks. It's an oil filter. There is no difference in performance on the street. 

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

@Cruizin Thanks for the tip!  Bought 8 of both the filters and washers to avoid shipping charge.  Used first ones on my first oil change today.  Always glad to see an oil filter recommendation from someone who has a history with said filters, especially at $6.00 each.

• Like 1

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

This thread almost slipped past me. I read once on the internet that a good oil filter can give your bike 2 extra h.p. but after I read that it didn't boost power my bike dropped 2 h.p. 😉  I'm waiting for someone to say Mountain Dew in the tank is comparable to having nitrous.  😃  (Enter DewMan)

Beemer

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Beemer said:

This thread almost slipped past me. I read once on the internet that a good oil filter can give your bike 2 extra h.p. but after I read that it didn't boost power my bike dropped 2 h.p. 😉  I'm waiting for someone to say Mountain Dew in the tank is comparable to having nitrous.  😃  (Enter DewMan)

Actually, adding Mountain Dew to the rider offers the best results. The sugar/caffiene rush will make you feel like you're using Nitrous but at much safer speeds.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the tip. Can you guys confirm that the crush washer size is 14mm on a '17 FZ-07?

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Littlebriar said:

Thanks for the tip. Can you guys confirm that the crush washer size is 14mm on a '17 FZ-07?

Yes. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 4 months later...
imherefortheride

So cheap, but what else to fill the cart for free shipping? 😆

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've used a lot of Tusk products on several dirt bikes. Things get broken and tore up in the woods. 

Tusk is usually better quality than the standard Chinesium that comes from eBay. Most of the stuff is all the same and just rebranded. 

Tusk handguard mounts exploded upon impact with a tree. Protected my hands, but it was a single use product. Disposable. The $50 I spent there was wasted. I should've spent the full $70 the first time and bought good stuff.

Tusk gaskets kit. One gasket was cut wrong and another was so thin it wouldn't work. Had to buy those two gaskets individually to make up for it, which again negated any cost savings.

The bravest I got was experimenting with internal engine parts. I bought a Tusk clutch and spring kit. It didn't fail. It was $20 cheaper than a Honda clutch, and it came with springs. The springs with the Tusk kit were incredibly stuff. Like, I'm gonna break my cable if I can even endure this, kinda stiff. So it cost the money I'd saved to go buy new springs. The clutch started slipping severely and immediately after 6 months moderate use. The previous oem clutch had lasted 5+ years. 

Yamaha branded oil filters are $8 at my local dealership. Yamaha is a brand I want to support. I'm not saying Tusk is bad. They are resellers of rebranded parts. Do your research on each individual part before "saving" money with them. 

• Like 1

Not a knock against Rocky Mountain, but I'll pay the bit more at the dealer because I want a dealer I can go to and get something like that the same day.  At times it is just worth it.  Other things I may order online.