The MT-07 Forum

2018 Yamaha MT 07 Oil Sight Glass

Old Man

Hmmmm... no oil sight glass. No dipstick on the filler cap. I'm supposed to rely on the fact that between fill-ups I am fine unless I see the oil light come on? COME ON!!! All you need is a faulty circuit and you haven't got a clue! YAMAHA... GET A CLUE! Sheesh. Now I know why it's such a cheap bike. Little by little I'm discovering the crap missing on this bike. Thanks Yamaha.

• Global Moderator

I am surprised they do not have sight glass on the 2018.  I figured they would use the same parts as the FZ models (mine has one the left side). 

• Global Moderator

@Old Man, I just looked at the 2018 MT-07 owners manual on the Yamaha website.  It says the 2018 has an oil level window on the left side of the engine. 

mjh... Thank you... took a bit of Yoga to crane my neck so I could see it. Damn thing's near the oil filter... First purchase for this bike is going to be a centerstand. I guess it's on that side because of the water pipes on the right side.

I'm old-school. My 1986 Yamaha SRX-600 has a dipstick!

I have 2018 MT-07 and went with the cheap Chinese center stand found on ebay. It looks good and works good (so far). I won't sit on the bike while on CS but its great for maintenance and its easy to get it up...………...

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Is it still the same as the FZ-07 sight glass? 

sightglass.jpg

Nice olive oil, dipping or for bruschetta? Joking!!

• Premium Member

This Helps, I have it for rear wheel removal and chain adjustments. I have the triple tree lift for the front also. look deeper and venom sell both front/rear stand cheaper than buying seperatly. https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcycle-Swingarm-Paddle-Kawasaki/dp/B00AV8HSA6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1534628688&sr=8-5&keywords=venom+motorcycle+stands I use this for almost everything else as it came with my purchase of the bike, previous owner had rear axle spools and this https://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html 

I have the stand you have from amazon. Works fine on my older bike. I wasn't sure it would work on this bike since the swingarm is curved. Have to do chain maintenance soon. I assume the stand lifts from in front of the axle adjuster and not the back by the tail of the swingarm?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Old Man said:

I have the stand you have from amazon. Works fine on my older bike. I want sure it would work on this bike since the swingarm is curved. Have to do chain maintenance soon. I assume the stand lifts from in front of the axle adjuster and not the back by the tail off the swingarm? 

I use that venom stand regularly on mine. No issues. I place the pads just ahead of the axle. spacers.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thanks for the advice. 

anyone know the thread size of the drain plug? I'd like to get a magnetic one. Especially while she's new. 

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Thanks for the advice. 

anyone know the thread size of the drain plug? I'd like to get a magnetic one. Especially while she's new. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

51 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Thanks for the advice. 

The search bar up at the top right of the forum probably will give you the answer to any FZ07 question that you may have.  Everything has been tried and posted about on this forum since the day it was released in 2014. 

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

If you put the bike in 6th gear, hit 88 mph and turn on the flashers and hold the horn button, all at the same time, it activates the Yamaha blow job machine that pops up out of the seat. 

Damn. Why didn't you tell me that before I replaced the factory seat?  😄

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

I use that venom stand regularly on mine. No issues. I place the pads just ahead of the axle. spacers.

Same as that, on the right side of the swingarm you'll see where the banana curvature as its called flattens out to give you a good lifting point, it's the only part of the swingarm (visible at least) that is almost identical on either side.

Archived