The MT-07 Forum

reserve range

mcbrien

• Global Moderator

there has to be a way to do so
i'd imagine you'd like to keep the same body panels... ish?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone, new to the forum, and went looking for this thread.

I have a 2020 MT07 and it's on around 1200km. I ride with the F trip odo to around 50km and when I fill up they usually put in around 10.5 liters. So somewhere I theoretically have 3.5 liters, but I am hesitant to push it further than 50km on the 'reserve' F odo trip meter.

My consumption is around 4l/100km (25km/l), and with that I should do 350km on 14 liters, and I do get to around 350km, but I fill up with only 10.5 liters. It doesn't make sense to me... I think I should get 1 or 2 liters of petrol and just carry it with me and see how far I can go, but that isn't a wise thing to do mechanically either...

Either the bike isn't calculating consumption correctly (as previously mentioned in the thread re. ECU etc.), the mileage/distance is less than what I actually travelled, or the tank is much less than 14 liters.

So I guess I am stuck with just filling up within 50km after the dash starts blinking at me.

Triple Jim

Agent.U1, my completely stock 2020 normally goes about 180 miles (290 km) before the reserve indicator flashes and the reserve odometer starts.  I've gone 40 miles (64 km) after that without running out, but it was pretty low.

I have a 3 liter plastic gas container  I carry in a tail bag if I think I might get caught out in the country away from a gas station.  It's pretty rugged.  I forgot to close the bag once, and the can bounced out while I was going about 45 mph.  It tumbled down the road and came to a stop, I went back and got it, and it's still fine.  It's this one, but I don't remember if it bought it from them or somewhere like Amazon.

This 3-liter fuel can from Touratech allows you to safely transport the liquids you need for your adventure - such as oil, water, or even...

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator
On 10/19/2018 at 1:32 AM, shinyribs said:

I'm a huge wimp about testing how far the reserve can go lol

Has anyone confirmed?

I was under impression .7 gals is reserve, expected to go fuel flat at reserve showing 35 miles - running at freeway speeds.

Nope. Unplanned real world test, at 30 miles engine popped first time,  got a few more starvation pops and I rolled up to gas pump with engine still running but just barely, turned it off by key, reserve showed 31.x miles

I put a hard mental stop now at 30 miles of reserve. Just my experience. Keep it simple is my only interest.

Edit 2019 XSR700 2wdw Yosh R77 ecu flash, and a lunatic controlling throttle & gearbox

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 2

Triple Jim
2 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

Unplanned real world test, at 30 miles engine popped first time,  got a few more starvation pops and I rolled up to gas pump with engine still running but just barely, turned it off by key, reserve showed 31.x miles

It might be good for us to post the year of our FZ/MT, whether the fueling is stock, and if not, what was done.  I think you're running a non-stock map, but I'm not sure I'm remembering right.

I just edited my post to say mine's stock.

Triple Jim
9 hours ago, Rider360 said:

35 miles on reserve and bike died!

Year of bike and is the fueling stock?

M. Hausknecht

The fuel tank sender unit is just an old-fashioned float on a rod. Because of the shape of the tank (narrow at the top, widest in the middle, then narrows at the bottom), the sender's readings are not linear. I also don't think the float reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank, where the outlet is located.

• Like 1

Triple Jim
1 hour ago, M. Hausknecht said:

The fuel tank sender unit is just an old-fashioned float on a rod. Because of the shape of the tank (narrow at the top, widest in the middle, then narrows at the bottom), the sender's readings are not linear. I also don't think the float reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank, where the outlet is located.

Yes, it's definitely  not linear, with the combination of the tank shape and the circular motion of the float.  They combine for a result that I didn't expect.   When filled by the book so the level is at the bottom of the filler insert, my 2020 goes 50 miles before the highest bar of the six goes out.  Then each of the others is pretty darned close to 25 miles.

Edited by Triple Jim

• Global Moderator
On 5/26/2021 at 5:08 PM, Triple Jim said:

It might be good for us to post the year of our FZ/MT, whether the fueling is stock, and if not, what was done.  I think you're running a non-stock map, but I'm not sure I'm remembering right.

I just edited my post to say mine's stock.

TrippleJ, your posts un-cover good stuff, I'm learning to pay more attention to see what your mind is working on

I now have a T7 to go with my FZ7 and was able to go 263 miles on a tank with 50 miles

on reserve and didn't run out of gas.  I have switched counter sprocket to FZ7 size. Everything else stock.

Thanks Yamaha.

Triple Jim
1 hour ago, mcbrien said:

I now have a T7 to go with my FZ7 and was able to go 263 miles on a tank with 50 miles

on reserve and didn't run out of gas. 

Do you mean 263 total, or 263 plus 50?   I'm guessing that was total.

Triple Jim
2 hours ago, mcbrien said:

263 total.

That sounds about right with your extra 1/2 gallon in that tank, but I bet you were not far from running out.