The MT-07 Forum

reserve range

mcbrien

Riding conservative I got 40 miles on reserve with a total of 228 off 1 tank of midgrade. At 7500 miles the fuel mileage

seems to be improving. Temp was 88 /90 degrees and I fill tank to the small filler hole resting on the side stand. Bike is stock except I had ecu flashed so injectors wouldn't cut off on closed throttle for better throttle response.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I wish the bike stated it was on reserve. The first time the gas indicator was blinking I thought I was SOL lol

• Haha 1

My reserve indicator always blinks when there's about 4 liters left. So from there I calculate how many KM I have left, usually 80 km as my average is around 20 km/l riding not so conservative.

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

my bikes almost two years old and ECCO is permanently displayed on my dash but I still can't trust this fuel gauge. I ride into the low fuel light for about thirty miles but that's as far as I'll go. It irritates me to then fill the tank and realize that you're nowhere near empty.That is, if you believe the owners manual fuel tank volume. 

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

Rode to the barber Festival last weekend using two lane roads at speeds under 55 mph and my first tank low fuel light came on at 120 miles. Generally, I'm good for 135 miles before the low fuel warning flashes. Stopped at a gas station at 150 miles and could only put 2.75 gallons in the tank. Weird. The next two tanks were like my normal 135 miles to low fuel but I was able to put the usual 3.2x gallons in the tank those times. I watched the tank fill up each time so I didn't shut the fuel fill off early the first tank. Strange.

• Global Moderator
On 10/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, firstyammerha said:

Rode to the barber Festival last weekend using two lane roads at speeds under 55 mph and my first tank low fuel light came on at 120 miles. Generally, I'm good for 135 miles before the low fuel warning flashes. Stopped at a gas station at 150 miles and could only put 2.75 gallons in the tank. Weird. The next two tanks were like my normal 135 miles to low fuel but I was able to put the usual 3.2x gallons in the tank those times. I watched the tank fill up each time so I didn't shut the fuel fill off early the first tank. Strange.

couldve been bad gas
sometimes it happens

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

On 10/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, firstyammerha said:

Woah, I was down there, too! A buddy and I were hauling at 85mph all the way down on the interstate to make time, but we were averaging 120-140 miles to a tank. He was on a BMW S1000XR and we need to fill up at about the same time. I've gotten as much as 155ish miles out a tank, but I've yet to ever put more than 2.7 gallons in. I think the most I've ridden with the "F" light flashing is about 10-15 miles. 

I'm a huge wimp about testing how far the reserve can go lol

Has anyone confirmed that the tanks are actually 3.7 gallons?

Edited by shinyribs

On 8/17/2018 at 9:33 AM, mcbrien said:

Riding conservative I got 40 miles on reserve with a total of 228 off 1 tank of midgrade. At 7500 miles the fuel mileage

seems to be improving. Temp was 88 /90 degrees and I fill tank to the small filler hole resting on the side stand. Bike is stock except I had ecu flashed so injectors wouldn't cut off on closed throttle for better throttle response.  

This is encouraging to me. I want to get the ECU flashed for the fuel cutoof/ twitchy throttle reason, but I read too many horror stories about fuel mileage suffering. Some as low at mid 30's! I've never gotten anywhere near 200 miles to a tank. 228 miles would absolutely thrill me!

The ecu typically displays my Ave MPG right around 53mpg.

Edited by shinyribs

• Premium Member

MPG is a sliding scale- depends on the "nut" between the foot/handlebar controls, its also influenced by the right wrist ability to ignore rational thought...running the FZ-07 at 100mph all day will probably net low 30mpg...even the elevation of where you live will effect MPG... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Rode 60km with fuel light, filled up 13 liters, there was 1 liter left. Makes sense, my avg fuel consumption is arouns 21km/l, 4 liters of reserve, around 80km reserve range.

AlbatrossCafe

Worst MPG I've gotten is 37. Best I've gotten is 61.

I can get 22 miles on the reserve or I can get 40. It all depends on how you ride. On this bike, you have a HUGE range of fuel efficiency. It is not uncommon to get 130 mile range out of one tank and then 200 on the next.

On my 42 mile commute, mostly between 30–75 mph, fairly conservative riding, I average 55–58 mpg, fuel gauge starts blinking around 155 miles, and I fuel up around 165-170 miles almost every time.

firstyammerha

I'm pretty steady with the throttle. Generally tooling around town in the 3500-5000 rpm range in whatever gear is appropriate . I  think I used 6000 one or two times merging onto a freeway. I believe there's a glitch in the design or manufacture of the sending unit. Switching to cars, I had a 2016 V6 automatic Mustang last year and the fuel gauge on it was the most accurate I've had on any car or bike. I like to test the depth of my vehicle fuel tanks and routinely ran the cars down to a dead engine coast into a gas station state many times. That Mustang gauge used a count down mileage remaining method display and when it got down to 10 miles remaining, I would have 1/2 gallon left in the tank based on filling the tank two times to the pump shut off and then reading the amount on the pumps display. That car also was the first car I had that delivered the manufacturers fuel economy rating which was 19/29. Miss that car and wish Ford hadn't dropped the v6 because I'd get another.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, shinyribs said:

Woah, I was down there, too! A buddy and I were hauling at 85mph all the way down on the interstate to make time, but we were averaging 120-140 miles to a tank. He was on a BMW S1000XR and we need to fill up at about the same time. I've gotten as much as 155ish miles out a tank, but I've yet to ever put more than 2.7 gallons in. I think the most I've ridden with the "F" light flashing is about 10-15 miles. 

I'm a huge wimp about testing how far the reserve can go lol

If that is 14 litres then yes it is. Ive put in 13.9 in once. Had to lift the damn thing upright but it got in there

On 10/18/2018 at 10:25 PM, sorkyah said:

couldve been bad gas
sometimes it happens

So much to work with,,, So little time :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 10/19/2018 at 8:22 PM, firstyammerha said:

I'm pretty steady with the throttle. Generally tooling around town in the 3500-5000 rpm range in whatever gear is appropriate . I  think I used 6000 one or two times merging onto a freeway. I believe there's a glitch in the design or manufacture of the sending unit. Switching to cars, I had a 2016 V6 automatic Mustang last year and the fuel gauge on it was the most accurate I've had on any car or bike. I like to test the depth of my vehicle fuel tanks and routinely ran the cars down to a dead engine coast into a gas station state many times. That Mustang gauge used a count down mileage remaining method display and when it got down to 10 miles remaining, I would have 1/2 gallon left in the tank based on filling the tank two times to the pump shut off and then reading the amount on the pumps display. That car also was the first car I had that delivered the manufacturers fuel economy rating which was 19/29. Miss that car and wish Ford hadn't dropped the v6 because I'd get another.  

Cars rarely use just the fuel tank sending unit anymore. The ECU calibrations are so accurate that they use injector duty cycle and flow rate to determine how much fuel you have consumed and then subtract that from the fuel level when you filled up last. This way the range is far less sensitive to what kind of incline you parked on or whatnot. When using the in-tank sensor alone, you just aren't going to get that accurate of a range prediction. It isn't a glitch so much as a simpler method. 

Fuel Mileage

Ya know, I have never concidered this at all.  Now I am pondering just what happens between Braaaaap and Fill up.  I keep trying to download the data forom my write wrist :) yet all I get is encrypted data. 

So I say, as long as its not like spittin sputterin and caughing I know I gots gas

• Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

firstyammerha

whatever method Yamaha uses is not quite up to the Ford standard. I think I'll  question the  membership of Stangnet.com to see what their thoughts are on the gauge in this car.  

On 10/19/2018 at 12:32 AM, shinyribs said:

The most I've ever been able to put in it (After sputtering to a stop from losing my usual game of gas light chicken) was 3.54 gallons, when really filling it to the neck. So not sure I believe the 3.7 gallons. Either that, or there's a little bit still in there that can never be used, which isn't particularly helpful either.

Most I've ever gotten out of a blinking fuel light is a full 70 miles of conservative riding, but I'm a habitual line stepper when it comes to getting gas, haha 

• Like 1

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

31 minutes ago, zombiphone said:

. So not sure I believe the 3.7 gallons. Either that, or there's a little bit still in there that can never be used, which isn't particularly helpful either.

It's not useful for the range, but it keeps the pump cool, which saves you a few hundred dollars in repairs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
On 11/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, zombiphone said:

The most I've ever been able to put in it (After sputtering to a stop from losing my usual game of gas light chicken) was 3.54 gallons, when really filling it to the neck. So not sure I believe the 3.7 gallons. Either that, or there's a little bit still in there that can never be used, which isn't particularly helpful either.

Most I've ever gotten out of a blinking fuel light is a full 70 miles of conservative riding, but I'm a habitual line stepper when it comes to getting gas, haha 

being from cali, i think it's a natural instinct....
pay the $4.50/gal or go a few more miles and hope its cheaper  :P

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

being from cali, i think it's a natural instinct....
pay the $4.50/gal or go a few more miles and hope its cheaper  :P

That's some real talk right there

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Global Moderator
3 minutes ago, zombiphone said:

That's some real talk right there

the international excursions didnt help in the least either....

2 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

the international excursions didnt help in the least either....

Haha - Dude, serious, South of the border, you learn to play that game whether you like it or not. I'm actually amazed I've run out of gas as few times as I have. That real time MPG mode on the dash has saved my life so many times (its super confusing and weird when you switch over to kilometers though).

I'm hoping when I manage to secure a Russian visa, it'll handle BFE siberia, too. If anyone has some good tips on fabricating a bigger tank, let me know