The MT-07 Forum

For the new riders out there, please don't treat the public roads like the track

Duke

I've always heard the saying, "It's not if you crash, it's when you crash." And I believe this to be true. 

You're going to crash/drop your bike at least once in your lifetime as a motorcyclist. When it happens make sure it's in a controlled environment like the track and you're prepared for the damage (wear full gear, have good quality insurance, etc.)!

These two videos are from Stan The Moto Man and I like that he uploaded his and a friend's crash footage to remind us all:

1. Don't treat public roads as if they were the track
  2. Wear full gear all the time

And I'll add in: crashes are expensive. You've got to repair/replace your bike, replace your damaged gear, and no riding time while you're waiting 😥

You do you and I'll do me.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Duke said:

And I'll add in: crashes are expensive. You've got to repair/replace your bike, replace your damaged gear, and no riding time while you're waiting 😥

And don't forget the medical bills, likely insurance premium increases and possible legal fees and/or jail time depending the circumstances of the wreck... wrecked or not ,law enforcement isn't going to look kindly on a high speed antics especially if others get injured. 

Repairing your bike and buying new gear could be the least of your expenses.

Stay safe out there. Save it for the track please ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Duke said:

"It's not if you crash, it's when you crash."

So do it the quick and usually not as painful way.... BUY a dirt bike! Nothing like dirt bike riding as the ultimate cross trainer for a street bike. You learn how to not panic as you are typically riding in near out-of-control situations all the time unless you are a total wuss. You learn ways to prevent wrecks. Awesome tool to teach about those things called BRAKES. You learn how to ride a bike standing up which can be helpful on the street too. You learn how to wreck properly (yes, there is such a thing) which has a lot to do with learning how to roll when you hit the ground. You learn how to slide a bike and not freak out. The list goes on - ultimately you will be a much better street rider as a result of some serious dirt bike experience. That doesn't mean you have to be a motocrosser (it's really fun if you are) but you can just go trail riding and still learn a ton of bike handling skills.

Don't forget the OTHER saying... you WILL get a ticket. Once again that goes back the total wuss scenario. Of course, if you bought a FZ-07, you inherently are not a total wuss, and yes, that ticket is waiting for you.. Be smart and don't try to outrun the cops, unless you are under 30 which means you can blame it on being young and stupid.

Almost missed this one! Also, tracks are manicured. Oil spills/debris are usually removed/taken care of on a track. On the road it's like everyone is putting everything on it to 'make sure' you wipe out. Oil spills, radiator fluid, cola, French fries, chewed tobaccer 🤠, the proverbial 🍌, etc, etc.

Beemer

I agree the street should not be used as a race track, but I think maybe a couple of things are missed from the videos or maybe they are understood and just aren't mentioned.

In the first video, the rider mentioned he followed the lead rider to closely. This implies (or maybe even admits) the rider who crashed was riding above his skill level in trying to keep up with the one in front. That said, some new riders fall into that trap of trying to keep up with the group. They get a mindset that they need to keep up when, usually, that isn't the case. Good groups will wait and make sure everyone gets to where they are going, even the least experienced in the group.

In the second video, the rider stated she felt her toe touch/drag the ground and she was like "oh s*&$". It's easy to see from the video she was pushing it and that she pushed it past her limits.

Because both riders were wearing full gear does not imply they were using the street as a race track (though the 2nd video implies that). Now, it's sad that they both crashed and the first person suffered some injury because of it.  

On 8/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Duke said:

You're going to crash/drop your bike at least once in your lifetime as a motorcyclist. When it happens make sure it's in a controlled environment like the track and you're prepared for the damage (wear full gear, have good quality insurance, etc.)! 

This statement is a near impossibility as not everyone rides on a track and you cannot control the street environment. The second sentence, imo, says you should only ride on a track because of the first sentence. Riding track only is great for some. It is not something for everyone, as motorcycling is not for everyone.

I think the overall message here, other than all the gear all the time which was stated by the OP, should be ride within your limits and your abilities. I wish both a speedy recovery from any injuries they received.

All in all, these are lessons to be learned and we can learn from others mistakes, so the video's themselves can be helpful to future riders. But can those riders who crashed actually point out their mistakes in those instances? Not just I followed to closely or my toe touched the ground and I crashed, but why those things occurred.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

I felt bad for Stan's crash because unlike some other vloggers, he rarely speeds.  Well, when he flies solo is doesn't speed much.

But that second vid- she had it coming.  She rides like a douche.  As much as a girl rider can ride like a douche.  I would never wish a crash on anyone but hopefully she'll get the hint to stop speeding for no reason, and it finally bit her in the ass. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

19 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Be smart and don't try to outrun the cops, unless you are under 30 which means you can blame it on being young and stupid.

The other day I was going 85mph in a 65 (traffic is a steady 75 there) and saw a trooper coming up from a distance behind me. I decided to slow to a respectable 73 and he sat beside me for an alarmingly long time before passing, so I really think he appreciated my courtesy. 

I turn 30 this Saturday, hahaha. 

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

Almost missed this one! Also, tracks are manicured. Oil spills/debris are usually removed/taken care of on a track. On the road it's like everyone is putting everything on it to 'make sure' you wipe out. Oil spills, radiator fluid, cola, French fries, chewed tobaccer 🤠, the proverbial 🍌, etc, etc.

Shortly after I joined on here a guy posted about wiping out after hitting a fast food bag, so that was a very well-timed reminder for me

18 hours ago, cyow5 said:

The other day I was going 85mph in a 65 (traffic is a steady 75 there) and saw a trooper coming up from a distance behind me. I decided to slow to a respectable 73 and he sat beside me for an alarmingly long time before passing, so I really think he appreciated my courtesy. 

I turn 30 this Saturday, hahaha. 

I missed this post and your BD, happy belated B.D. and I hope you had a nice one. Shortly after I first got my bike I encountered a sheriff going the opposite way on his H.D. and he pointed at me. (not the bikers, "hello" point either) I felt like the kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar, I was doing 85 in a 55 is why. Amazingly, he kept going. I saw him the other day, again, doing 15 over and he just waved at me. A real hand in the air, hello! I'm a regular almost every day on my bike on these roads so I think he remembers me, like I remember him.

I wonder if it was a biker thing and he understands how us bikers have that itch to go fast (like he probably does) or was it because I was going just half the speed over the speed limit as the speed over the limit I was going the first time he caught me speeding? I feel lucky to have such laid back sheriff's. Well, wait, there was the one dick with a hard-on for people taking pictures in public, ha!

Beemer

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Shortly after I first got my bike I encountered a sheriff going the opposite way on his H.D. and he pointed at me. (not the bikers, "hello" point either) I felt like the kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar, I was doing 85 in a 55 is why.

I'd like to think he was pointing at the bike and saying to himself. "I want a bike that nimble, lightweight and cool!" . 😁

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived