The MT-07 Forum

Upgrading chain guard to MT07 2018

adamo

Hi Guys,

did some of you by any chance try to fit chain guard from  2018 model to <=2017 models? It seems from the photos that it is a bit longer therefore it should keep the chain gunk from the bottom of the seat. I could not  find any dimensions for those parts and their differences.

What do you think?

Untitled.png

• Global Moderator

By just looking at the parts catalog it seems like it should fit.  My chain does not throw off anything so it seems like a waste of money for me.  It costs $28.19, part number B4C-21650-00-00.  

I've never had an issue with chain lube fling on this bike.

Are you lubing the chain when it's cold or warm? It should always be after a ride, when the chain is warm.

2 hours ago, stickshift said:

I've never had an issue with chain lube fling on this bike.

Are you lubing the chain when it's cold or warm? It should always be after a ride, when the chain is warm.

might be my mistake, I'm doing maintenance always on cold bike, cleaning the chain, then waiting 15-30 minutes and putting lube on, waiting another 20-30minutes before riding

I to have had an issue with chain lube on the underside of my tail section. Why couldn't they

make it longer so people could cut it off to  preference.

IMG_1419.JPG

The simple fact is that the chain guard should be a lot closer to the chain and have a mount/anchor point towards the back of the swingarm to reduce vibration. That's why they have the recall on the mounting bolts. The chain guard flexes, and in minute increments loosens the current mounting bolts/system. Older models were excluded from the recall because the chain guard was shorter and did not flex enough to loosen the mounting bolts. 

The styling on the 17 looks a lot nicer than the 18 design. All they had to do was make it

longer, not make it look like 1977. maybe  I could cut a little off the end to shape it like the

17 design.

firstyammerha

my 2016 has a shock debris deflector with a couple of the plastic pins with centers that need to be depressed to release the shocks debris deflector section of the chain guard from the swingarm. The chain guard and debris deflector are one piece.The 2018 chain guard must not have this debris deflector section or it's a separate piece from the chain guard. I'd prefer a simple chain guard without any debris deflector. One less piece to remove when swapping shocks.

Archived