The MT-07 Forum

A Noobs question on Shock and Sag number

sen07

firstyammerha

I am about Elmos weight and a month or two ago was going to pay a suspension shop to tune a old GSXR shock for my bike and riding style. I thought this guy was pretty astute based on reviews that he got on another bike forum. He said sag numbers are irrelevant basically. Then he recommended a 700lb. spring for me. That didn't sound correct but figured he was doing major changes to the damping to compensate. Before I sent the Suzuki shock to him for modding, I double checked the clearances at both ends and found the damping knob at the clevis end rubbed on the link.It would take a fair amount of Dremel work to get clearance and I wasn't confidant enough in my skills to attempt the fix. Today I'm running a 346lb. spring from a 2000 GSXR1000 on my FZ07 shock and pretty well pleased with the performance at the speeds that I run these days. In my opinion, the stock shock is oversprung for a solo rider who's not dragging the pegs at warp speed. I never checked the stock shock travel before mounting the softer GSXR spring but I bet that I wasn't using half my travel. 

Interesting the suspension expert says sag numbers are irrelevant. I hear the opposite from experts, like Patron on this form and others  like Dave Moss and Keith Cole. Do you know what your current sag numbers?

3 hours ago, elmo said:

Interesting the suspension expert says sag numbers are irrelevant. I hear the opposite from experts, like Patron on this form and others  like Dave Moss and Keith Cole. Do you know what your current sag numbers are?

4 hours ago, elmo said:

Interesting the suspension expert says sag numbers are irrelevant. I hear the opposite from experts, like Patron on this form and others  like Dave Moss and Keith Cole. Do you know what your current sag numbers?

They are irrelevant if you know what you doing. They are only used by general public as base but you don't have to be at those numbers. It is all about what bike does and what you want it to do. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2018 at 10:14 PM, howworkclutch said:

was it a cold morning? suspension behavior changes with temperature.

on my old buell, riding below 62 degrees F was harsh and miserable. Above 70 degrees F it was excellent. Between the two temps it was a mixed bag of good/bad performance.

i was at the track recently on the fz07 with ohlins shock. early morning temps were very cold and the suspension was wonky. late afternoon temps were warmer and the bike felt considerably better.

In Malaysia its rarely that cold, and i didn't feel a noticable difference during my morning commute and back at the evening. But then again im no expert

Archived