The MT-07 Forum

2016 fz-07 with 2018 parts review

derekfz

So I’m finally finished with my bike and riding again! After a few rides I think it’s time to review some of the parts I have installed. 

First up: hydraulic clutch 

the clutch works flawlessly and the pull of the lever is about the same but it has a better feel over the cable I think. 

Second up: two brothers exhaust 

oh man. This exhaust is a beast. It sounds so good and deeper & I already had an m4 slipon. I also got some significant power gains with my filters & autotune setup (had the m18 bung already on) The aluminum finish was only 550 with tax on amazon and shipped in two days. Totally worth it. 

Third up: 2005 CBR600RR rear shock with pod filters (required) 

the rear shock was probably the best upgrade of all. I bought it on eBay for only twenty dollars! Install was fairly easy with shims. Plus the dual uni filters were 30 total. So 50 bucks this bike handles like a totally different bike. Way more confident feel going into corners and bumps mid corners no long feels like a bucking bronco! 

Fourth: power commander & autotune

i know a lot of people on this forum are into ecu flashes but with this combination it’s like a different bike. I set my afr at 13.2 and 13 WOT. And this bike is so smooth and powerful now. And my fuel economy actually went up! About 165 miles to a tank now! Up about 15 miles from before. Plus the install was fairly easy and there isn’t a lot of wires everywhere like most people are afraid of.

Lastly: all the 2018 parts totaled around 500 dollars and I think improved the look dramatically.  (Now I need a windshield )the best part is I’m just happy to back riding again. Ironically my first ride there was two deer standing across my street when I got back. 

F4AAD497-5D8D-42AA-94FD-31A58D04DDD2.thumb.jpeg.6311fc662d3586525964086a25fdbdc0.jpeg

87B0B7CD-6E77-4056-AA90-D2AC0DB77174.thumb.jpeg.13e156f9617d31282e539d1c85e06190.jpeg

132106ED-F856-4CCC-B7FC-04E17BE591F7.thumb.jpeg.0df44f1f839db167dac81b331bfe7e32.jpeg

848D5CF2-1C0F-409E-ABD8-CB85DD83FD4E.thumb.jpeg.02bc9aed356b3c09a91913134bd0ae42.jpeg

16 hours ago, derekfz said:

i know a lot of people on this forum are into ecu flashes but with this combination it’s like a different bike.

I knew my FZ-07 was a completely different bike within 1 block of riding it with the 2WDW flash.

I might have tip for you for another '18 part, it seems that chain guard on '18 models is bit longer and therefore keeps all the gunk from chain where it should be and not on the bottom of the bike, so if you will have another shopping spree for '18 parts that could be a good one if it fits

On 8/12/2018 at 4:05 PM, derekfz said:

Third up: 2005 CBR600RR rear shock with pod filters (required) 

the rear shock was probably the best upgrade of all. I bought it on eBay for only twenty dollars! Install was fairly easy with shims. Plus the dual uni filters were 30 total. So 50 bucks this bike handles like a totally different bike. Way more confident feel going into corners and bumps mid corners no long feels like a bucking bronco! 

You had to remove the airbox so that the shock fits, right? Do you ride in rain, maybe those exposed filters might soak? Did you try this before the other mods, maybe there's some power loss with stock mapping?

Can you describe the shims you used to fit the shock?

4 hours ago, godoy.rafa said:

You had to remove the airbox so that the shock fits, right? Do you ride in rain, maybe those exposed filters might soak? Did you try this before the other mods, maybe there's some power loss with stock mapping?

Can you describe the shims you used to fit the shock?

Yes airbox was removed because of the reservoir and they were just flat washers. I don’t remember the exact size anymore. But the rear bolt needs to be slightly longer too so if I remember right is was a m8 by 1.5 pitch bolt. I took the bolt and the washers with me and just matched them up at tractor supply. I put three on either side of the shock in the front I I think I put three in the rear.  The ends are skinner then the shock strut so it just needs to be shimmed to fill the gap. didn’t try without a tune because I knew it would effect it so much. The filter I bought is an uni two stage uni 4182-sa the Angeled version. the red part is like a secondary cover the main filter is black. Riding in the rain is not an issue. Just cover them when washing the bike. E9211886-6A9A-45FE-8074-6C61B134869F.thumb.jpeg.bb43fa85e7f8da34d9589c1970ebb33d.jpeg

Archived