The MT-07 Forum

How do you break this baby in?

GaiusDJesse

I've got 100 miles on my fz-07 today, I never go past 6-7000 rpms. Am I doing alright? Also, when should I change my oil? The dealer told me at 1000 miles but I read that it should be done at 500 miles. 

I believe the manual says not to go over 5k RPMs and first service done at 600 miles. I think 5k RPMs is a bit absurd. It's like shift shift shift shift and you're only going 35mph. I'm at 550 miles now and will probably hit 600 miles tomorrow and then drop it off at the dealer for her first service.

• Premium Member

There's the standard factory way to break in, and also motomans method. It is pretty vital to change the oil at 600 like the manual states. Use whatever type or brand you prefer at the oil weight specified in the manual for your temp range. I like Mobil 1 10W-40.

http://fz07.org/thread/121/infamous-motoman-method-breaking-engine

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Also at 600 don't forget to adjust chain slack and sync the throttle bodies. A thorough inspection of everything wouldn't hurt either.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

I think the wording on the manual is to avoid prolonged operation above 5,000 rpm. (or some wording like that I do not have manual close by right now.) it does not say not to run above 5,000 at all. Have some fun with it. The big thing is not to run at the same rpm got extended periods.

I just rode mine the way I felt like riding it.
Yea, ride it as you normally would with 2 areas to watch out for. 1. don't stay in the same rpm for too long.
2. don't go too often in the high rpm.

I have done it this way on many of my bikes and cars with absolutely no issues.

I just rode mine the way I felt like riding it.
Yea, ride it as you normally would with 2 areas to watch out for. 1. don't stay in the same rpm for too long.
2. don't go too often in the high rpm.

I have done it this way on many of my bikes and cars with absolutely no issues.

This, with a higher concern for #1 over #2.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Guest August BB

I'm at 130 miles right now, I usually go a 15 mile route around my city, always between 3.5-5k rpm. Generally around 4k but on hills I do 5k.

But then this is my first bike I've ever owned so I'm naturally taking it easy.

• Global Moderator

Break in is officially over. Now I guess I will wait to see if I did it correctly :)
51c2a6a564d1590eac4225e2e5a26ab3_zps8f5d478f.jpg

• Global Moderator

I did a medium hard break-in. I could not decide which way to go so I did a bit of both. The guy who did my 600 mile service builds racing engines. He said they do three heat cycles and then race them. Not that he was recommending that, but he was definitely in the hard break-in camp.

Two absolutely identical bikes for sale, but on the advert
one says "run in according to the manufacturer's book"
the other " run hard from new"
which do you buy?
I know which camp I am in, now if I was going to race it
not interested in anything but speed and now then that is
another ball game.

Two absolutely identical bikes for sale, but on the advert one says "run in according to the manufacturer's book"
the other " run hard from new"
which do you buy?
I know which camp I am in, now if I was going to race it
not interested in anything but speed and now then that is
another ball game.
Whichever one I had my mechanic check out and verify was legit, and I wouldn't believe either seller ha.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply everyone, I'm at 580 miles now and getting ready for my first oil change plus that recall. I've been riding it hard and at the RPM's Yamaha recommends, a little mix. This bike is awesome!!

Ride it like you stole it! You can go above 5k rpm just not for extended periods of time. just avoid the highway and you'll be good.

The FZ-07 will be my 9th bike over the course of my 30 year span riding motorcycle. Except for 2, all my bikes were bought new.
Just ride it normally, don't keep a highway speed for too long (same rpm) and try to go through all the gears to vary the rpm.
Don't worry to push it once in a while. I've done that to all my new bikes and never had any problems. Even though the engine is new, it's already broken in at the factory.
It's not like for example,  you changed the pistons and it's the first time the engine is running.

my 2 cents

What I do is drain the junk factory oil and walk back into the house.

1. Drink a quart of Valvoline 10-40

2.Drink a shot of captain Morgans.

3.Drink a Bud light.

4.Drink a cup of vegtable oil.

5.Go outside and run two miles, in riding boots.

6.Do 56 jumping jacks

7. Do 50 pushups.

8. Wheel bike outside.

9. Fart very loudly

10. Put a funnel in the oil hole and then in full of the neighbors, pee right into the engine. Then fart again for good measure, toss cigarette at neighbors.

11. Start bike, let her warm up to 114 degrees, Spin back tire and then rip a wheelie up the street. Take her out on the highway and hit top speed.

12. Return home and consider that baby broke in!

I never prolonged the rpms above 5k but i definitely get on it. I am for the more cautious man moto method of breaking in.

"I'm not reckless. I am incredibly skilled with a bit of flair."

I completely agree with the "ride it like you stole it" method. High manifold pressures combined with low RPM's just ain't good for [strong]any[/strong] engine; much less a motorcycle engine that redlines only when approaching 10,000 RPM's.
As the old adage goes, [em]high RPM's are an engine's friend.[/em]

• 2 weeks later...
scordiaboy515

This is always a touchy subject, open to much debate.....I road all highway miles varying rpm from 4000 - 5000 for the first 250 miles, without loading the engine too much, short rides to let the engine cool. Changed the oil using Yamaha Lube 10W40 and oem filter and let her eat.....dumped oil again at 800 miles and will change every 2000 from here on, or prepping for a track day.  The first 2 oil changes I virtually had no metal particles in the drain pan.....just a little fiber clutch plate material.

Archived