The MT-07 Forum

Off- Season maintenance?

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I am approaching the end of my second season on my FZ-07. I  will have about 4K on the clock, and about 3K are track miles.  I run the "Hordpower" intake,  Akrapovic Ti, and a PCV mapped appropriately. All I've really done to the motor is oil/filter changes. Bike runs great, no issues what so ever. How often do track folks check the valve clearance on the FZ-07? I'm planning on "freshening up" my suspension, and syncing the throttle bodies over the winter. Is there anything else I should check over during the off-season?875235288_2017seasonFZ-07@DCTC.thumb.jpg.252d7fb4b4e856d51e2b626e88b59359.jpg

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I wouldn't worry about the valve clearance yet. Even with the mods you have unless you have added cams it is unlikely you're running into the rev limiter very often if ever so you're not taxing the motor much.  We checked my clearances when we decked the head and degreed the cams at around 1600 race miles. Still dead nuts on with no signs of wear or any movement. 

I would replace the brake fluid, coolant and disassemble and clean the suspension, linkages, swingarm pivot etc. If you're running the original chain and sprockets I would just about bet close inspection shows they're about shagged too. I would also disassemble and clean the brake calipers with simple green to restore their like new feel. Brake cleaner and scotchbrite pads on the rotors wouldn't hurt either. Check, clean and or replace the steering head bearings if you have time and the where with all too. 

Excepting a few bucks for the chain and sprockets this stuff is all cheap, fun and easy to putz with in garage with a couple of beers and the game on.

Your results may vary.

Please check local laws before purchase

Some assembly required

Battery's not included 

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Thanks mossrider, that's sorta what I figured.... I'm used to Supermoto bikes, where every hour of seat time = 2 hours of wrench time (why I got away from it). I did steel braided lines this year, (and new fluid), so I'll probably do fluid the following winter. How frequently do you freshen up your rear shock? I was thinking every-other-year. I run an Ohlins rear, and I'm pretty happy with it- no leaks, doesn't seem to fade? I was planning on chain & sprockets already. BTW: I'm Heading to Blackhawk Farms next Friday with ZARS. I may stick around to watch the CCS races on Saturday.... Any chance I might see you there?

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Just now, cornerslider said:

Thanks mossrider, that's sorta what I figured.... I'm used to Supermoto bikes, where every hour of seat time = 2 hours of wrench time (why I got away from it). I did steel braided lines this year, (and new fluid), so I'll probably do fluid the following winter. How frequently do you freshen up your rear shock? I was thinking every-other-year. I run an Ohlins rear, and I'm pretty happy with it- no leaks, doesn't seem to fade? I was planning on chain & sprockets already. BTW: I'm Heading to Blackhawk Farms next Friday with ZARS. I may stick around to watch the CCS races on Saturday.... Any chance I might see you there?

Alas, I'll not be at Blackhawk, we're getting ready for Pittsburgh then BIR the following weekend. Sorry. That Ohlins will be fine every other year. They take indifference better than most other shocks do.  My JRI is a little supermodel and seems to need more attention and money than avg, lol.

Archived