The MT-07 Forum

Backpack Alternative vs Strap-on Tank Bag

NikitaUCLA

Currently, I am using a regular backpack but it is really overkilled. I need something that can hold one t-shirt, my phone, wallet, and maybe a small bottle of water. I don't like those big tank bag solutions. Any ideas? 

I love my tank bag.  Hepco and Becker makes a great sloution that is easy on easy off (uses magnets).  The mount for it is very small and hardly noticeable when not using the bag. They have a smaller expandable tank bag that isn't bulky and in the way, I use it for running around town and i always have it on my long trips.  Sorry, I know you were asking about backpacks, but i cant stand having one on my back while wearing a jacket.

tank bag

Tank Ring Kit

small mounting plate:

20180711_204246_HDR.thumb.jpg.c402cb2c8749662f01367d8afb7bff3a.jpg 

18721815_1367271453358772_1278950709953298432_n.jpg

Tail bag might also be a consideration if you don't need to carry a passenger at the same time.

I have a Viking Bags medium sport tail bag to go with my Shrike saddlebags.  Never really cared for tank bags personally.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Kriega has different sized bags that can be used as tank bags or tail bags. The US10 might be a good fit for you (US5 might be a touch too small). They also have really good backpacks. R15 seems like a good size for you. Kriega products are pricey though but really good quality and all their bags can fit together as a system if need be. 

Instagram: @jayparrington 

3 hours ago, NikitaUCLA said:

Currently, I am using a regular backpack but it is really overkilled. I need something that can hold one t-shirt, my phone, wallet, and maybe a small bottle of water. I don't like those big tank bag solutions. Any ideas? 

I use one of these for dirt bike/ dual sport rides. Use it on lang day rides on the street bike sometimes, especially those days where I'd rather carry food and not worry about looking for a place to eat in a strange town. Has a bladder, so no need to carry bottles of water. The straps are super comfy and highly reflective. I'm amazed how reflective this thing is, even when filthy. Very light setup that I never notice.

There's a cargo net that stows in the bottom of the pack. You pull it out and it clips to hoops sewn around the perimeter of the bag.  Gives you a huge amount of additional storage in case something unexpected  pops up, but weighs nothing in the meantime. Brilliant idea.

There are smaller and larger sizes. The XC70 references 70oz of water the bladder holds. This is the size I have and feel it's very comfy, weight-wise.

That said, the guys here pointed me towards the Cycleguys seat bag....or something like that....google it. That thing rocks! Big enough to hold a gallon of milk, but zips down to nearly invisible when not using. Easily on of my all time mostest bestest bike related purchases. 

1 hour ago, chademinent said:

I love my tank bag.  Hepco and Becker makes a great sloution that is easy on easy off (uses magnets).  The mount for it is very small and hardly noticeable when not using the bag. They have a smaller expandable tank bag that isn't bulky and in the way, I use it for running around town and i always have it on my long trips.  Sorry, I know you were asking about backpacks, but i cant stand having one on my back while wearing a jacket.

tank bag

Tank Ring Kit

small mounting plate:

20180711_204246_HDR.thumb.jpg.c402cb2c8749662f01367d8afb7bff3a.jpg 

18721815_1367271453358772_1278950709953298432_n.jpg

Nice looking bike!

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

I use one of these for dirt bike/ dual sport rides. Use it on lang day rides on the street bike sometimes, especially those days where I'd rather carry food and not worry about looking for a place to eat in a strange town. Has a bladder, so no need to carry bottles of water. The straps are super comfy and highly reflective. I'm amazed how reflective this thing is, even when filthy. Very light setup that I never notice.

There's a cargo net that stows in the bottom of the pack. You pull it out and it clips to hoops sewn around the perimeter of the bag.  Gives you a huge amount of additional storage in case something unexpected  pops up, but weighs nothing in the meantime. Brilliant idea.

There are smaller and larger sizes. The XC70 references 70oz of water the bladder holds. This is the size I have and feel it's very comfy, weight-wise.

That said, the guys here pointed me towards the Cycleguys seat bag....or something like that....google it. That thing rocks! Big enough to hold a gallon of milk, but zips down to nearly invisible when not using. Easily on of my all time mostest bestest bike related purchases. 

The Cycleguys seat bag is pretty cool! I'm going to ask for permission from the Boss to get one. Yeah, I turned in my Man Card a long time ago.

Are you open to suggestions on small tank bag solutions? That way you wouldn't have to wear anything and I am currently using a small one that will do exactly what you require. It's very small. It's a magnetic type and will require some alterations to make the magnets useful instead of useless. it will require some rare earth magnets to be placed on the underside of the tank panels in line with where the magnets on the bag rest when mounted where you want.

It also has plastic loops at the front and rear so that mini bungee cords or straps can be used additionally to hold everything in place (I just use the front loop) and it moves out of the way easily when fueling up. you just lift up on the magnets and bag and set it off to the right to expose the fuel cap. I leave mine on and it's never in the way and no time spent messing with a bunch of hooks like on a cargo net.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OXQY1X4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0920 (2).JPG

IMG_0925 (2).JPG

Beemer

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, M7C00L said:

Not to highjack, but what intake is that? 

Hordpower Airbox 😎... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I agree with liquidmetal. I prefer a tail bag. I have a Nelson-Rigg sport tour. I think it's a model 1040? Had it for years now. Good grocery hopper, low profile, durable, straps on under the passenger seat. Can fit a full size helmet. I keep my Olympia rain suit in it and stop at the grocery store on the way to work.  Very clean look.  On this bike I might get the SW-motech  alu-rack top rack and the Quick release spoft luggage carrier just so I can take a passenger, cause let's face it, this is a fun bike to share. 

Here it is...

20180815_072057.jpg

Archived