The MT-07 Forum

Tail of the Dragon trip 8/17-19

TheRedEagle

Anyone going to be in the area for a dragon ride! 

I will be coming down form South Central PA with a few friends for a weekend of riding. Is there anyone in the area that is looking for an excuse to slay the dragon?

This will only be my second trip down but I am stoked to get back in the area. I need to get a new picture with my new bike!

NRWhiteKnight

I would love to join you, but unfortunately I have a prior commitment. Riding to the Dragon is normally a day ride for me. If I have enough notice I can make time to go ride it. I usually go at least once a year. I did not go last year and it was my intent to go this year when I still had my FZ1. Unsure if I will get around to it this year.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

13 hours ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

Riding to the Dragon is normally a day ride for me.

Wow, that must be pretty awesome to live that close to the Dragon. I was going to ask if it ever gets less exciting, but I guess if you only get there once a year then it stays pretty fresh. 

NRWhiteKnight

It's a fun ride. I prefer the Cherohala Skyway as it flows better than the Dragon. Have fun and be safe. 🙂

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, NRWhiteKnight said:

I prefer the Cherohala Skyway as it flows better than the Dragon. Have fun and be safe. 🙂

I love the Cherohala, it is such a fun and scenic ride. And I will! This is the first time to the dragon with the FZ, so it will be a very different experience than when I went with my V-Star. 

NRWhiteKnight

Awesome. For sure it will be different, what with a lighter weight bike and different seating position. I am still getting used to the lighter weight myself.

• 6 months later...
WankyMcTugger

How long is the trip? What do the accommodations look like? Are you renting a cabin and requesting people chip in, or is it a free for all?

I'm going to the dragon in May, from the 4th-11th with another group, and they rent a cabin annually and ride all day and drink all night. Is this similarly organized?

• 2 weeks later...
TheRedEagle
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, WankyMcTugger said:

How long is the trip? What do the accommodations look like? Are you renting a cabin and requesting people chip in, or is it a free for all?

I'm going to the dragon in May, from the 4th-11th with another group, and they rent a cabin annually and ride all day and drink all night. Is this similarly organized?

The trip is whatever you make it. I have gone twice, and our group always stays at the Iron Horse Lodge, a little ways off 28. We like it there because riding 28 to the dragon gives you a nice warm up. The first time I went I rented a room with two beds and split the cost with my friend. The second time I went I rented a bed in a shared bunkhouse, which was much much cheaper. Plus, it let me meet a pretty cool group of guys. But beware that unless you can fill all 4 beds with people you know, you will be sharing a room with strangers. There is a hotel/motel right at the mouth of the dragon, but we have never looked into that as an option, so I can't comment on it.

Our trip is similar to your groups. Wake up and have breakfast at the lodge, hit the dragon and surrounding areas. Make it back to the lodge for dinner and enjoy the night around the fire with a few drinks. I never drink too much because I want to be able to ride the next day with out feeling ill.

Archived