The MT-07 Forum

front brakes locked up on me on the fwy how to fix?

D.REX

7 hours ago, rick said:

And that would have been my question. 

What likely happened was that the new lever activated the piston enough to close off the reservoir, but not far enough to activate the brake. 

With pads being in slight contact all the time, there will always be some heat transferred to the fluid. Slowly, the heat expands the fluid. W/o the ability to now expand up into the master cylinder, the brakes get applied - until the system cools back down. 

Hydraulic clutch levers will usually have an adjustable pin so you can adjust "freeplay".  Brake levers have to be correct out of the box - not just fit the pivot. Only way to see this is to open the master cylinder and make sure the piston is back far enough to let fluid return. 

exactly the lever was engaging the brake slightly which caused it to heat up and expand

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/10/2018 at 10:38 AM, topazsparrow said:

I've heard of this problem actually guys. He's not lying and it's a serious problem on many motorcycles and even bicycles.

It's not actually the brakes failing here though. Predominantly the main cause is as illustrated:

image.png.86e2fc1811d41f6a343b29f97cb264d7.png

This had me dyin 🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, TylerNT02 said:

This had me dyin 🤣🤣🤣

Yamaha has been putting "spoke sticks" in the tool bags of American export bikes since the end of WWII. Let them have their vengeance.

Beemer

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived