The MT-07 Forum

front brakes locked up on me on the fwy how to fix?

D.REX

so i was on the fwy going like 80 and my front brakes locked up on me and i almost died lol pulled off the side of the fwy and bled the brakes to free up the pads.  what could be causing this to lock up its a brand new 2015 with only 2000 miles on it.  are calipers shots or need a full bleed?

Pinochio.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

It never happened, I call bull chit

pinocchio-970x545.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

38 minutes ago, D.REX said:

so i was on the fwy going like 80 and my front brakes locked up on me and i almost died lol pulled off the side of the fwy and bled the brakes to free up the pads.  what could be causing this to lock up its a brand new 2015 with only 2000 miles on it.  are calipers shots or need a full bleed?

I was also on the fwy going like 80 and my front tyre exploded on me and I almost died lol pulled off the side of the fwy and pumped it back up. what could be causing this to explode? my bike is also a brand new 2015 with only 2000 miles on it. 

We started drinkin' wasn't thinkin' too straight
She was doin' 80 and she slammed on the brakes
Got so high we had to pull to the side
We did some shakin til the middle of the night

😉  -  E.M.

Beemer

AlbatrossCafe

So you are saying you were just sitting there cruising, and without ANY hands on ANY brake levers, the front just randomly when FULL lock at 80mph? Or was it a slight brake?

I've never heard of a brake go from 0 to 100 without any input.

12 hours ago, RRR said:

I was also on the fwy going like 80 and my front tyre exploded on me and I almost died lol pulled off the side of the fwy and pumped it back up. what could be causing this to explode? my bike is also a brand new 2015 with only 2000 miles on it. 

One time I was like hammerin it and did a weele at 110 in 1st N da forks fell off.  I grabed them wiff my left hand stuffed em back in the triples and spit my gum out and glued em back on.  I swears it happened it was a bulltaco

topazsparrow

I've heard of this problem actually guys. He's not lying and it's a serious problem on many motorcycles and even bicycles.

It's not actually the brakes failing here though. Predominantly the main cause is as illustrated:

image.png.86e2fc1811d41f6a343b29f97cb264d7.png

Me thinks level41 is back

topazsparrow
15 hours ago, D.REX said:

on the off chance this post isn't a troll..

Welcome to the forums.

Also, there's nothing that would cause the brakes to apply pressure to themselves such that the wheels would lock up. Also if your front wheel locked up at 80, you're probably in the hospital, so maybe you could describe that in a little more detail for us.

It's possible you bent a rotor on a rock or it's come loose or something? The brake system can't tighten itself without actuating the brake lever/master cylinder.

43 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

on the off chance this post isn't a troll.

giphy.gif

All kidding aside, did you squeeze the brake lever? The only thing I could image possibly (big possibly) happening is your calipers weren't opening all the way and the pads were dragging on the rotor, heated up and suddenly gripped. Does that ever happen? I've heard of pads dragging and heating up but not locking up. Besides, you would think that a person would've noticed the pads dragging first. A mystery if not a chain yank. You best take your bike to a professional before the rear brake does the same thing. 😶

Beemer

I'm a retired aircraft mechanic. Once we had an aircraft that was taking off and the brakes locked up halfway down the runway. The pilot did not fully release the parking brake (or there was a mechanical failure and the parking brake valve did not fully release) which caused the brakes to drag.  As they dragged they created heat which caused things to expand and eventually lock up.  Yes no parking brake on a bike but if there is some sort of restriction in the master cylinder you could get dragging/locking brakes. Years ago there was a Goldwing recall on something like this, something in the linking brake system could cause the rear break to drag. 

Life is exciting, weird things can happen.

38 minutes ago, Beemer said:

A mystery if not a chain yank. You best take your bike to a professional before the rear brake does the same thing.

The issue is the powa comando installed.  little known fact if the invertfrontbrake option is >.0991903475 then the rpm manager will engage to front calwipers in a emergancy.  Its called ESD@80OFWFNAROTSH or "Emergancy Stop DAWG @ 80 On Free Way For No Apparent Reason Other Than shet Happens"  Ya to much yanker chain on the down draft of the organdoner

As stated, brakes don't suddenly lock up, if the master cylinder is not correctly machined, or you fit an after market brake lever that is preventing the piston in the master cylinder to not fully return, you can sometimes get a situation where the piston in the master cylinder is blocking the return hole to the reservoir, this then means as you drive, the brake pads rub lightly on the disk causing things to get warm, the warm brake fluid expands (this happens normally and the expanding brake fluid just goes into the master cylinder reserve) but because the master piston is blocking the tiny hole allowing brake fluid to return to the reservoir, the brake system does become pressurized and starts applying the brakes. It is fairly progressive and does not cause the wheel to suddenly lock-up..

Have you fitted aftermarket brake levers? It sounds like you might have an issue in the master cylinder (the part connected to the handlebar).

Gary

i squeeze the brake lever and then they locked up it ended up being the aftermarket brake lever i bought it was engaging the brake lightly  without me even touching it.... cheap ass mzs levers on ebay

4 hours ago, Thrasherg said:

As stated, brakes don't suddenly lock up, if the master cylinder is not correctly machined, or you fit an after market brake lever that is preventing the piston in the master cylinder to not fully return, you can sometimes get a situation where the piston in the master cylinder is blocking the return hole to the reservoir, this then means as you drive, the brake pads rub lightly on the disk causing things to get warm, the warm brake fluid expands (this happens normally and the expanding brake fluid just goes into the master cylinder reserve) but because the master piston is blocking the tiny hole allowing brake fluid to return to the reservoir, the brake system does become pressurized and starts applying the brakes. It is fairly progressive and does not cause the wheel to suddenly lock-up..

Have you fitted aftermarket brake levers? It sounds like you might have an issue in the master cylinder (the part connected to the handlebar).

Gary

exactly what it was the aftermarket lever for all the people here that didnt believe it ever happened lmfao

6 hours ago, r1limited said:

The issue is the powa comando installed.  little known fact if the invertfrontbrake option is >.0991903475 then the rpm manager will engage to front calwipers in a emergancy.  Its called ESD@80OFWFNAROTSH or "Emergancy Stop DAWG @ 80 On Free Way For No Apparent Reason Other Than shet Happens"  Ya to much yanker chain on the down draft of the organdoner

sound retarded man

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, D.REX said:

"what could be causing this to lock up its a brand new 2015 with only 2000 miles on it.  are calipers shots or need a full bleed?"

"i squeeze the brake lever and then they locked up it ended up being the aftermarket brake lever i bought it was engaging the brake lightly  without me even touching it."

So it didn't just suddenly lock up for no reason. 🙄 You had us going. Were you aware that the brake was engaging lightly before the lock up?

Beemer

13 hours ago, D.REX said:

i squeeze the brake lever and then they locked up it ended up being the aftermarket brake lever i bought it was engaging the brake lightly  without me even touching it.... cheap ass mzs levers on ebay

And that would have been my question. 

What likely happened was that the new lever activated the piston enough to close off the reservoir, but not far enough to activate the brake. 

With pads being in slight contact all the time, there will always be some heat transferred to the fluid. Slowly, the heat expands the fluid. W/o the ability to now expand up into the master cylinder, the brakes get applied - until the system cools back down. 

Hydraulic clutch levers will usually have an adjustable pin so you can adjust "freeplay".  Brake levers have to be correct out of the box - not just fit the pivot. Only way to see this is to open the master cylinder and make sure the piston is back far enough to let fluid return. 

19 hours ago, r1limited said:

You watch too much

1024full-the-adventures-of-jimmy-neutron_-boy-genius-screenshot.jpg

Beemer

I would like to see the aftermath fz07 pics of this so called 80 mph I almost died lol bike.  So another words you fell off in the drive way at 8mph

Pinochio.jpg.fe84dd655c0157fc04d01e32286a78c6.jpg

Archived