The MT-07 Forum

Recall: loose chain-guard bolts

pattonme

I went in for this recall last week. Before going in, I checked the two bolts and they were still tight after 3500km and the chainguard didn't have any play. Had the recall installed (2 minute job) and drove it home without checking them or the guard.

On the way home I could feel something rattling every time I hit a bump. Checked the guard at home and it was loose. Checked the bolts and they were tight. Drove it back to the dealer and showed them how loose the guard was. They checked to make sure they used the correct recall bolts and collars and they had. I now have the original bolts back in and I'll just keep an eye on them. 

Anyone else have the recall done?  How did it turn out?

Instagram: @jayparrington 

I recall once ...
hold up a minute until I remember

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

doctorzoidberg

I just bought a 2018 MT-07, and it now has 1300km on it. The two chain guard bolts (the old ones) are tight and everything is solid so far. I don’t think I’m going to go through with the recall if it makes the chain guard sloppy. I’ll just keep and eye on the bolts and make sure they stay tight, and only go through with the recall if I notice a problem.

Just got the recall letter, came here to see if any of you had issues.

how the hell do they "inappropriately design" bolts? lol

I've been noticing some noise from the rear when I've been riding, i'll have to check this out.

I don't recall chain drive being this 'buzzy' sounding, at least it wasn't on my old drz, but I think I recall some noise from my F650, 

I just had a recall done on FJ-09, they said it would take a couple days. Their couple days turned out to be nearly 3 weeks. No more dealer recalls for me unless its really, really serious. I'll keep an eye on the bolts or just pull them and put some locktite on them.

• 2 months later...

So I just had this recall performed last week on my 18' MT07 only to find my chain gaurd is now loose and vibrates excessively. I thought maybe the screws were not tightened all the way but they were. Brought it back to dealer only to be told Yamaha is aware of this issue and it completely NORMAL........then they told me I could put washers in myself to take up the clearance. I called up Yamaha Corp and was confirmed that this is normal for the updated screws to be tight and chain gaurd to rattle. And I want to be very clear....there is about a 1/2" of movement in chain gaurd side to side. I'm very unhappy with Yamaha right now.

Edited by NiteRyder

NRWhiteKnight

My dealer called me about a month or so ago about this recall. Said he would get the parts and call me when they were in. They still haven't called. lol. However, so far I have had no issues and all are still tight. I'm not worried and from what @NiteRyder said, I'm not going to do the recall. Either Yamaha can fix it right, or I stick with it as it is and just keep a check on it.

• Like 1

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

I had the same issue as @NiteRyder had (see third post). Glad I have the original hardware back in.  I've had no issues with the tightness of the stock bolts or with the guard after 6200km. 

Edited by JayMT07

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I haven't done the recall and I more than likely won't. If my dealer has the hardware for it I'll take it home with me and look at it but I've already checked the bolts and they are tight and there is no play in the chain guard. I will probably end up taking them out and putting on some loctite and forgetting all about it 

• 5 months later...

Was riding home last night and kept hearing a rattle anytime I passed anything close by. I've got the original hardware in and like others have said, bolts are tight and the guard is loose. Sounds awful and gonna call the dealer. I'll be having a sit in in the show room if the rattle is still there after....

• 1 year later...

My 2018 has the same issue. It was tight before I removed the guard to get some cleaning in. I ended up  grinding down the metal spacers that they have in there to get the guard secured again.