The MT-07 Forum

MT07 bolt on turbo kit - Extreme Creations

stickshift

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

The 5.0 had strong rods that could easily handle 12 lbs of boost. The 4.6 that came in the 2005 GT model had powder forged rods that would blow if boosted more than 6-8 lbs.  The powder forged rods are showing up in a lot of engines nowdays and they are worse than cast rods in my opinion. But cheap to make. 

Man, I remember when powdered rods were a big new deal and they started showing up at the track. I was confused. I looked in to it and just couldn't get it. Then the powdered rods started LITERALLY showing up on the track ( like...flying out the side of engines) and they were no longer the "hot trick" lol

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

If at all? Engine longevity is ALWAYS effected when adding Turbo or Pulley boost.  Proceed with caution and do yourself a favor and always go with a low amount of boost and work your way up slowly, if at all. Wait and see at what point of boost lbs the facebook guys start blowing their engines, and then go well under that.

Woooooow....that was the sloppiest/harshest dyno run I've ever seen! The dyno operator needs to be smooth and consistent on throttle application in order to achieve repeatable, accurate data. The way he was jerking and yanking on that 07 was brutal. Charging the dyno like that is a great way to fudge power numbers. 

Side note, hearing that engine rattle on the rev limiter while under boost made me cringe hard haha.

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

And that a $8600 stock FZ-09 still beats you.  How would that feel then? 

True. Anyone trying to turn an 07 in to an 09 eater should just buy and 09 and be done with it. 

But the 09 sounds like poo and the 07 sounds like a boss :D

No offense, Cruizin!

16 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

True. Anyone trying to turn an 07 in to an 09 eater should just buy and 09 and be done with it. 

But the 09 sounds like poo and the 07 sounds like a boss :D

No offense, Cruizin!

No way man, that Triple is the sweetest meanest sound there is. 

I was thinking when I saw the start of the first vid. " Gee the 09 sounds nice" That was until the 07 fired and reved. God these bike sound good and retain the BEST of the sound even when chucked through an impeller.

The LAMS bike has half an integer less compression so I reckon would be a better canidate for boosting. I would like to see at 6 or 7 psi ( half an atm.). So fine tuning there as well from the sound of the motor.

Unlike a lot of jap bikes the stock camming for torque instead of revs  should suit a turbo well.

Not usually a fan of turboed petrol motors but I think I would even consider this mod if I had the money. Even 5psi would be a fine street motor.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Cool little kit.  It was only a matter of time before someone started pushing more air into these motors.  I won't rehash some of the arguments already brought up about it but it's always good when new parts and options come out as long as the quality and reliability are there.

I just can't see these kits flying off the shelves.  Turbo for a bargain bike that will run about even with an MT09 or 600 supersport?  Meh.  I imagine the MPG that comes with the added fuel will only make our small tank even smaller as well.  

topazsparrow
2 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

The basic kit comes in at 7.5 lbs of boost and they are promising 50 hp from it. 

50 lbs up from the LAMS version.

Regardless.. it wouldn't matter if it was 50 or 5, the engine is only going to take what it can take. It'll be interesting to see if they can prove the longevity. I'm on the fence about it right now due to the other reasons listed, but prove it's long-term viable and I'm 100% sure where I'm putting my next bonus check.

Nitrous might be a decent alternative since you don't always need all that power anyway.

One arguement for turboing this bike is because it is reasonably light. Any extra power/torque will have a more beneficial result in power/weight.  Given a turboed 07 and a stock 09, I would go a 07 anytime because the chassis is more fun to ride.

It is not unusual for lightly turboed motors to use LESS fuel ( though not guaranteed) in ordinary street conditions and especially cruising.

On longevity, I seem to remember when looking to see if it was boreable that the cyl walls are pretty thin. This could be the real weak link for torbo.

9 minutes ago, gregjet said:

One arguement for turboing this bike is because it is reasonably light. Any extra power/torque will have a more beneficial result in power/weight.  Given a turboed 07 and a stock 09, I would go a 07 anytime because the chassis is more fun to ride.

It is not unusual for lightly turboed motors to use LESS fuel ( though not guaranteed) in ordinary street conditions and especially cruising.

There's only about 20lb difference between an 07 and 09 and how much does that turbo kit weigh?

I know many cars use small, efficient turbo motors and get great economy but we're talking about slapping a turbo on a motorcycle.  No one will bolt this thing on and "take it easy" haha

I could not believe that dyno operator. Was he trying to show the bike can take some abuse

or is he just clueless? 

What do you think about the transmission. Is going over 90 hp asking for trouble?

How are the fz07's transmissions holding up on high mile bikes?

What stock parts are the flat track racers replacing?  rods, pistons, clutch basket, gears ?

Stock bikes cooling system seems pretty good. Is it good enough for 90+ hp? The radiator might be big enough

for a few roll on's but the head or cylinder might have a  hot spot that could cause problems.

If I did the kit I would set it around 90 hp.

"No one will bolt this thing on and "take it easy" haha"

Well then I am noone. Not talking about taking it easy, but riding like I am on the street rather than a racetrack. For loaded touring it would be even better ( my preferred street riding). 

The road is not a race track. If you ride like it is , be prepared for the consequences WITHOUT, the crash minimization barriers, marshals, pick up vehicles, cleaned and maintained surface, everyone going in the same direction, suspension setup for EVERY encountered eventuality, on site ambulance seconds away etc. If you like to ride that way, feel free. I am not about to stop you, but it isn't the way I ride on public ways.

Looks like a great bolt on.  I love the sound of 100+hp FZ07 - literally.  

Actually wouldn't be all that expensive if I sold my yoshi exhaust & hordpower air box. If I sold my hordpower air box, could I just swap my flashed ecu with a stock one from another bike?   

• Premium Member

Its official. I knew @Andy AP Palmer was close to 100 HP before, looks like he's been pushing the limits. I know its not from a turbo-charged motor but its still some solid evidence. Blow your motor at will. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, fzar said:

Its official. I knew @Andy AP Palmer was close to 100 HP before, looks like he's been pushing the limits. I know its not from a turbo-charged motor but its still some solid evidence. Blow your motor at will. 

I had a link in there, about Andy AP Palmer pushing a FZ-07 motor to 100 HP and the rods said enough. Look it up. I took the link off because it was revealing personal information.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:40 PM, gregjet said:

"No one will bolt this thing on and "take it easy" haha"

Well then I am noone. Not talking about taking it easy, but riding like I am on the street rather than a racetrack. For loaded touring it would be even better ( my preferred street riding). 

The road is not a race track. If you ride like it is , be prepared for the consequences WITHOUT, the crash minimization barriers, marshals, pick up vehicles, cleaned and maintained surface, everyone going in the same direction, suspension setup for EVERY encountered eventuality, on site ambulance seconds away etc. If you like to ride that way, feel free. I am not about to stop you, but it isn't the way I ride on public ways.

Took me a little out of context there.  Never said anything about riding like you're on a racetrack.  What I meant was accelerating harder in which you add more air and fuel, in turn, reducing mpg.  The point of adding a turbo is to force more air into the motor.  If you're off boost, maybeeeeee you'll get relatively comparable mileage to a non-turbo motor but if you're off-boost all the time, why did you add a turbo?  On-boost, you're adding fuel over a naturally aspirated motor at equivalent load and rpm no matter how you look at it.  For loaded touring, it would only net worse mpg although I understand the added boost in power would be welcome to offset the added weight. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, djfz07 said:

Here's a screen grab from Andys Instagram

brokenfz07rod.thumb.jpeg.27ce9106b49da85b3159f4a251270bab.jpeg

Thank you, I didn't think to do a screenshot👍

I just found this last night...I think i found my project for next year

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos

topazsparrow
On 8/11/2018 at 11:11 AM, fzar said:

Thank you, I didn't think to do a screenshot👍

nothing a new set of rods can't fix

🤣

• Premium Member

I would swap the stock rods out for some aftermarket rods and checking for proper piston ring gap before bolting on a turbo...

NA motors tend to have tight ring gaps... "forced induction" needs a bigger ring gap...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived