Jump to content
stickshift

MT07 bolt on turbo kit - Extreme Creations

Recommended Posts

stickshift

There's already been some discussion on the forum about Extreme Creation's turbo kit for the FZ/MT. This is a reputable Australian company that appears to have developed a fairly well thought out turbo option. I do like that a lot of it can be concealed behind fairings etc, and is not in your face.

 

Yes, an MT09 may be a more cost effective option for similar performance, but bolting on a turbo (with minimal lag) is a pretty cool option in my opinion. No word on how engine longevity may be effected (if at all). Their swingarm extension is recommended to keep the front down...

 

I'd like to see an independent ride review in future to hear about particular details. I may consider this kit in the future.

 

A couple of videos:

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunblock

How much do these things cost usually?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norcal616

I have been waiting for almost 3yrs since I first found out about the turbo kit for the FZ-09 which puts down 200whp on premium pump gas

 

an upgraded clutch basket and heavier springs will be neede also ans as far as I know they plan to make em soon... 

 

I personally am torn between a turbo kit for my FZ-07 or my FJ-09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MT27
1 hour ago, sunblock said:

How much do these things cost usually?

3,850 Australian $ = 2,855.95 U.S. $

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blackout

This turbo kit looks awesome.  I'd also like to see some installation reviews.  I'm quite amazed the fuel injectors can handle 112 boosted hp, but it seems they can.  My guess is that they are increasing fuel pressure under boost, but not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norcal616
27 minutes ago, blackout said:

This turbo kit looks awesome.  I'd also like to see some installation reviews.  I'm quite amazed the fuel injectors can handle 112 boosted hp, but it seems they can.  My guess is that they are increasing fuel pressure under boost, but not sure.

https://www.extremecreations.com.au/yamaha-mt-07-fz-07-turbo-kit

 

full details near bottom of page

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlbatrossCafe

Does that FZ have an extended swingarm?

 

With that, my 1st gear would become even more unusable at WOT... would need to have taller gearing. I would probably do it though. Assume $3k for kit and $1k for installation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow
1 hour ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

Does that FZ have an extended swingarm?

 

With that, my 1st gear would become even more unusable at WOT... would need to have taller gearing. I would probably do it though. Assume $3k for kit and $1k for installation.

After I did all my mods I added a tooth up front and took 3 out of the back. 1st gear is actually the proper gear for parking lots and full stops now.

 

With 110+ hp, that gearing might still feel a bit short... much taller though and you're looking at some pretty laborious low speed clutch work to putt around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow

Looks like I found a good enough reason to keep this bike even longer now....

 

Was thinking about an MT-10.. but... this seems way more fun (plus my insurance stays the same!)

 

Are there any pictures of the other side of the bike? I'm curious to know what the impeller side looks like.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sorkyah
15 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

Does that FZ have an extended swingarm?

 

With that, my 1st gear would become even more unusable at WOT... would need to have taller gearing. I would probably do it though. Assume $3k for kit and $1k for installation.

looks to be the stock swingarm

 

I would absolutely love for this to be a thing in my garage.... though i need to get a garage first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stickshift

The bike in the dyno run video has their bolt on swingarm extensions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blackout

Not sure 4-6 inches is needed.  Someone needs to sort the 2 inch longer Tracer 700 swingarms.  These "should" fit relatively easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin

Add in the Swingarm, turbo and other needed parts and all of a sudden the MT-07 becomes a pretty damned expensive bike. But, a fun bike too.  Still, I would wait and see how many engines end up blowing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow
6 minutes ago, blackout said:

Not sure 4-6 inches is needed.  Someone needs to sort the 2 inch longer Tracer 700 swingarms.  These "should" fit relatively easy.

I can't see that being more economically feasible.. though it would be more "proper" and look better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blackout
20 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Add in the Swingarm, turbo and other needed parts and all of a sudden the MT-07 becomes a pretty damned expensive bike. But, a fun bike too.  Still, I would wait and see how many engines end up blowing. 

Engines run the best right before they blow up.  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow
1 minute ago, Cruizin said:

Add in the Swingarm, turbo and other needed parts and all of a sudden the MT-07 becomes a pretty damned expensive bike. But, a fun bike too.  Still, I would wait and see how many engines end up blowing. 

In the same boat thoughts wise.

 

I've already dumped enough money into my bike that I'll never get back (tune, ex, suspension, brakes, etc) that another 3500 bucks is less than I'll lose on depreciation and the increased cost of a comparable new bike (excluding the option of used bikes).

 

The FZ-09 is only 1000 bucks more or so, but it also needs all the same stuff I've already done to my 07. Suspension and tune mostly. The electronic throttle on the 09 and the 10 is mega bad compared to the cable throttle on the 07, it basically necessitates a 500+ dollar tuning option like FTecu to resolve. Then you factor in the year-over-year insurance cost increase (a big deal where i live as going from a 700 to a 900 or 1000 dictates a nearly 50% jump in insurance).

 

Economically it's not that bad of an idea when you factor everything in. And even if it wasn't great economically... we're not wallstreet businessmen trading motorcycles as a business here, lots of us are in it for the FUN.

 

Engine longevity is the big question for sure. Given how well this engine holds up to abuse from racers and whatnot, I think it should be pretty good. It already runs much cooler than the FZ-09 so that bodes well. The FZ-09 has been turbo'd for a while and seems to be holding up okay I think - though the sample size there is small so who knows what kind of long term mileage they're getting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blackout
19 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

In the same boat thoughts wise.

 

I've already dumped enough money into my bike that I'll never get back (tune, ex, suspension, brakes, etc) that another 3500 bucks is less than I'll lose on depreciation and the increased cost of a comparable new bike (excluding the option of used bikes).

 

The FZ-09 is only 1000 bucks more or so, but it also needs all the same stuff I've already done to my 07. Suspension and tune mostly. The electronic throttle on the 09 and the 10 is mega bad compared to the cable throttle on the 07, it basically necessitates a 500+ dollar tuning option like FTecu to resolve. Then you factor in the year-over-year insurance cost increase (a big deal where i live as going from a 700 to a 900 or 1000 dictates a nearly 50% jump in insurance).

 

Economically it's not that bad of an idea when you factor everything in. And even if it wasn't great economically... we're not wallstreet businessmen trading motorcycles as a business here, lots of us are in it for the FUN.

 

Engine longevity is the big question for sure. Given how well this engine holds up to abuse from racers and whatnot, I think it should be pretty good. It already runs much cooler than the FZ-09 so that bodes well. The FZ-09 has been turbo'd for a while and seems to be holding up okay I think - though the sample size there is small so who knows what kind of long term mileage they're getting.

Well said.  Pretty sure the fz07 has lower compression than the bigger bikes, but I would have to check.  The little motor could be a perfect turboed motor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin

I have a good deal of experience tuning and boosting engines. 

 

Compression is just one factor, another is engine components.  We do not know just how strong the piston rods and pistons themselves are on the "budget" FZ-07. Sadly, we won't know how strong the Pistons, Rods, bearings, Valves, Springs are against a turbo boost until people on here start boosting and blowing their engines. That is just how it works, folks. 

 

They blow their engines and then hopefully share at what level of boost they were at when the engine threw a rod, or burned a piston, or sucked a valve.   Whether it is cars, Trucks or motorcycles, an engine is made at the factory with parts that are meant to last a long time under normal factory compression and TQ at certain predetermined RPMS and conditions. 

 

For instance, when the new style 2005 Mustang came out, I bought one and was talking to Steve Saleen, the guy who builds Saleen edition cars that are fast as hell.  He found out that a ton of tuners were blowing their Mustang engines up when running aqnything more than 6 lbs of boost. This was because the Rods that ford was using were powder forged and could not withstand that kind of boost.  I went with 6 lbs of boost and made up for it with a large intercooler, so large we had to redesign the front end of my Stang to fit around it and the cooler air made up for the lower boost and I was running impressive times at the drag strip. 

 

One of my freinds had the same Model Stang, ignored my warnings because he was mad that he couldn't beat me and went with a different pulley and set up and went with 12 lbs of boost. He toasted his engine that very same weekend at the drag strip. A $31,000 car became a $9,000 salvage car in an instant. 

 

So folks, PROCEED WITH PHUCKING CAUTION HERE.  Let the other guys on the Wheelie Facebook Groups be the guinea pigs with this Turbo kit and see at what level of boost their engines blow up and go a few lbs less. 

 

What you will probably discover is that you can only safely run like 4-6 lbs of boost, which would bring your bike up to around 105hp at the wheel, maybe a lil more.  Fun, right? 

 

Fun, until you realize that you now have like $11,500 or more into your FZ-07. 

 

And that a $8600 stock FZ-09 still beats you.  How would that feel then? 

 

You can boost more than that and beat an FZ-09, but how long will YOUR engine last? 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin
On 8/8/2018 at 4:27 AM, stickshift said:

There's already been some discussion on the forum about Extreme Creation's turbo kit for the FZ/MT. This is a reputable Australian company that appears to have developed a fairly well thought out turbo option. I do like that a lot of it can be concealed behind fairings etc, and is not in your face.

 

Yes, an MT09 may be a more cost effective option for similar performance, but bolting on a turbo (with minimal lag) is a pretty cool option in my opinion. No word on how engine longevity may be effected (if at all). Their swingarm extension is recommended to keep the front down...

 

I'd like to see an independent ride review in future to hear about particular details. I may consider this kit in the future.

 

A couple of videos:

 

 

 

If at all? Engine longevity is ALWAYS effected when adding Turbo or Pulley boost.  Proceed with caution and do yourself a favor and always go with a low amount of boost and work your way up slowly, if at all. Wait and see at what point of boost lbs the facebook guys start blowing their engines, and then go well under that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow
1 minute ago, Cruizin said:

If at all? Engine longevity is ALWAYS effected when adding Turbo or Pulley boost.

 

 

Only if you run it!

 

image.png.7037da985da5eb80462e6dd71a3ee6fc.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin

I don't want to sound like a debbie downer. If installed at the right boost level for this engine, this could be a great thing for the FZ-07. 

 

But, I own this forum. I don't want some kid to read about this and blow his engine all over the highway and then blame us, without at least explaining to everyone the simple fact that it doesn't matter how reputable the Turbo or supercharger company is, if you add too much boost to your stock engine, without knowing how strong the engine parts are, your engine can and will blow if you add more boost than the engine can handle. Might happen in a month, might happen in a year.  But if the factory engine has rods or bearings that are built for 65-85 hp and you boost it up to 120 hp, that engine will not last long folks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow
2 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I don't want to sound like a debbie downer. If installed at the right boost level for this engine, this could be a great thing for the FZ-07. 

 

But, I own this forum. I don't want some kid to read about this and blow his engine all over the highway and then blame us, without at least explaining to everyone the simple fact that it doesn't matter how reputable the Turbo or supercharger company is, if you add too much boost to your stock engine, without knowing how strong the engine parts are, your engine can and will blow if you add more boost than the engine can handle. Might happen in a month, might happen in a year.  But if the factory engine has rods or bearings that are built for 65-85 hp and you boost it up to 120 hp, that engine will not last long folks. 

You're certainly not wrong.. but harking back to your mustang example....

 

The Toyota FT86 was only built for 200 crank hp. Many people are boosting those stock engines up to 250 WHEEL hp without any issue at all. There are many examples of car engines like this as well - mostly non domestic, but even the old ford cars (Tempo, escort, etc) that were economy cars were eating up 50 - 90 shots of Nitrous like it was no big deal. Turbo's on those cars as well for the more adventurous back yard mechanics.

 

Lots of companies overbuild their engines and drive trains for a variety of reasons. Just look at the chain pitch and rear tire on our bikes... it's way overkill. Who's to say the engine isn't also a little bit stronger than need be?

 

I'm excited to find out, one way or another. Surely some of the race enthusiasts here have had their engines torn down for a reubilt / upgrade? Where's our engine builders at?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin
28 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

You're certainly not wrong.. but harking back to your mustang example....

 

The Toyota FT86 was only built for 200 crank hp. Many people are boosting those stock engines up to 250 WHEEL hp without any issue at all. There are many examples of car engines like this as well - mostly non domestic, but even the old ford cars (Tempo, escort, etc) that were economy cars were eating up 50 - 90 shots of Nitrous like it was no big deal. Turbo's on those cars as well for the more adventurous back yard mechanics.

 

Lots of companies overbuild their engines and drive trains for a variety of reasons. Just look at the chain pitch and rear tire on our bikes... it's way overkill. Who's to say the engine isn't also a little bit stronger than need be?

 

I'm excited to find out, one way or another. Surely some of the race enthusiasts here have had their engines torn down for a reubilt / upgrade? Where's our engine builders at?

 

50HP on a car is not much. I got like 65 hp out of my boost job at 6 lbs of boost and a really cold intercooler. 

 

50hp on a bike? To get that, you are doing it all with boost because there is no room for a huge intercooler. 50 hp on a bike could tend to blow the engine. Unless that budget FZ-07 has forged engine parts. This is my opinion, but it is an educated opinion. 

 

My advice is to stay in the 6-8 lbs of boost range and hope for the best. I would not trust 12 lbs unless I saw proof that the rods, crank, bearings, are all high strength, forged rods (not powder forged and certainly not cast) forged pistons and such. 

 

But at 6-8 lbs of boost, would the HP gained be enough power to make it worthwhile? Because if I added $3,500 to the price of my FZ-07, and got beat by a stock $8,800 FZ-09, I would feel pretty stupid.  If I went with more boost and blew my engine, I'd feel really extra kinds of stupid. 

 

Now, guys that have cash lying around to replace/rebuild the engine and are into this for the adventure of tuning to max capabilities, this is great for them. Those guys are used to blowing engines. We used to blow engines on the dyno and laugh about it because we had $30-$40 set aside to build the RIGHT engine to win with, and there is a lot of trial and error in engine tuning. Especially when you are one of the first people to do it and don't have other people's blown engine data to work with. 

 

Again, I suggest letting wheelie facebook group guys blow their engines, and find out what boost they were running and then go under that on your bike. 

 

I will reach out to Extreme Creations and ask for some data and recommended settings for street centered FZ-07 owners that want their commuter bikes to still last a long time. They are a good company and Im sure they will share some good info. 

 

And, if their data looks good, I might even invite them to be a vendor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blackout

Feeding a boosted engine enough fuel is the key to a happy force-inducted engine.   I had a 5.0 Mustang running 10 psi using a Kenne Bell Whipple charger with stock internals and no problems.  With that being said, I agree, don't go over 7 psi without intercooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin
3 minutes ago, blackout said:

Feeding a boosted engine enough fuel is the key to a happy force-inducted engine.   I had a 5.0 Mustang running 10 psi using a Kenne Bell Whipple charger with stock internals and no problems.  With that being said, I agree, don't go over 7 psi without intercooling.

The 5.0 had strong rods that could easily handle 12 lbs of boost. The 4.6 that came in the 2005 GT model had powder forged rods that would blow if boosted more than 6-8 lbs.  The powder forged rods are showing up in a lot of engines nowdays and they are worse than cast rods in my opinion. But cheap to make. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.