The MT-07 Forum

WindScreen Dilemma!!

persydonkers

persydonkers

Recently purchased me a new to me fz 07. Love the big but looking to pick up a windscreen nothing too big in fear of destroying the look of the bike. But just something to knock some of the wind off at higher speeds. Looking for recommendations and curious of anyones tried the mtp racing screen.

https://mtp-racing24.com/windscreen-windshield-dark-tinted?curr=USD&kModel=22190&gclid=CjwKCAjwhqXbBRAREiwAucoo-9wmWLq-I-kwlkqQdx_WCq39WCfdTsTwBG98XMqT_X3gfgi2qn5GQhoCla0QAvD_BwE

topazsparrow
1 hour ago, persydonkers said:

Recently purchased me a new to me fz 07. Love the big but looking to pick up a windscreen nothing too big in fear of destroying the look of the bike. But just something to knock some of the wind off at higher speeds. Looking for recommendations and curious of anyones tried the mtp racing screen.

https://mtp-racing24.com/windscreen-windshield-dark-tinted?curr=USD&kModel=22190&gclid=CjwKCAjwhqXbBRAREiwAucoo-9wmWLq-I-kwlkqQdx_WCq39WCfdTsTwBG98XMqT_X3gfgi2qn5GQhoCla0QAvD_BwE

I'm rocking that same windscreen. It's.... okay... but it also tidies up the front end which is really why I wanted it.

Basically unless you go mega fugo big, none of the windscreens are very good at all. You either totally wreck how the bike looks, or learn to deal with a decent amount of airflow from the shoulder height and up.

michigan400
10 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

I'm rocking that same windscreen. It's.... okay... but it also tidies up the front end which is really why I wanted it.

Basically unless you go mega fugo big, none of the windscreens are very good at all. You either totally wreck how the bike looks, or learn to deal with a decent amount of airflow from the shoulder height and up.

Yes, this. None really block much wind just direct it to your upper chest and head at best. I grabbed a Yamaha flyscreen from the classifieds section on here (check it out before you buy new!!) and LOVE the way it looks. Does nothing for wind but fits the look of the bike.

I will not fit one, but I have begun to think that a clear screen preserves the bike's looks best. 

Just do it! 

Liquidmetal

I have the MRA Double Bubble and it does a pretty good job of keeping the wind blast off my chest, everything else gets hit with the full force.  I am very satisfied with it overall, didn't expect anymore out of it than what it provides.

Edited by Liquidmetal

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

At highway speeds around 70-80 mph. the wind force on the chest isn't all that bad on this bike (in my experience) but on a windy day or when you're going over the legal highway speed my Ermax 39 cm windscreen does make a big difference. It may only block wind off the chest and a little off the bottom of the helmet (tucked in a little) but the chest is what catches most of the wind so that's a big factor.

I can't speak for other similar windscreens, I haven't used them, but this one does make a big difference. 

Beemer

You can have wind protection or a minimalist look, choose one...

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I'd go with the fly screen from Yamaha. I ride naked bikes and even 80-85mph is no big deal to me. The factory model is a nice alternative bug zapper.

I weigh 180 and I'm 6'2". I wish the seat was longer and more lean to the bars.  Anyone point me to handlebar mods, clip-ons? Lower the front an inch?  Ya know? Had to adjust the shift lever up more. Stock I  kept riding my foot under it and it would refuse to upshift until full release. 

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:57 PM, michigan400 said:

Yes, this. None really block much wind just direct it to your upper chest and head at best. I grabbed a Yamaha flyscreen from the classifieds section on here (check it out before you buy new!!) and LOVE the way it looks. Does nothing for wind but fits the look of the bike.

Did you get this for the 2018? black or smoke? got pics?

1 hour ago, RRR said:

Did you get this for the 2018? black or smoke? got pics?

I picked this up when I first got the bike. It doesn't do anything other than kill bugs. I do like the newer model better though. Here's an old pic. 

769B249C-B5E7-43D4-A020-C238F0AD7BE3.jpeg

Instagram: @jayparrington 

1 minute ago, JayMT07 said:

I picked this up when I first got the bike. It doesn't do anything other than kill bugs. I do like the newer model better though. Here's an old pic. 

769B249C-B5E7-43D4-A020-C238F0AD7BE3.jpeg

Yeah mate, bug killings all I even wanted to do. I never saw the point of buying a naked bike, then destroying the aesthetics by putting a big windscreen on it. each to their own though.

Is that smoke flyscreen or gloss black? hard to tell in the pic

26 minutes ago, RRR said:

Yeah mate, bug killings all I even wanted to do. I never saw the point of buying a naked bike, then destroying the aesthetics by putting a big windscreen on it. each to their own though.

Is that smoke flyscreen or gloss black? hard to tell in the pic

Not sure as I didn’t have any finishing options when I ordered it but I’d say it’s the gloss black. 

44C34F4B-34FF-400A-A6E3-81FC71138187.jpeg

9 minutes ago, JayMT07 said:

Not sure as I didn’t have any finishing options when I ordered it but I’d say it’s the gloss black. 

44C34F4B-34FF-400A-A6E3-81FC71138187.jpeg

Looks it, I'm installing a smoke one after work so will see how it compares

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RRR said:

Looks it, I'm installing a smoke one after work so will see how it compares

Beauty!  Please post a pic. 

I just picked a small screen just like the O.P.'s, but for a bit less - check out "small Savage FZ-07 screen" on Ebay, less than $30 shipped, and got it in 10 days from overseas.  Looks good, takes just a bit of wind off lower torso, but leaves my helmet in clean and quieter air - bike came with a MRA double bubble (will put it up for sale here), which took all wind off of my chest, but resulted in bad wind buffeting (and subsequent noise) at the lower edge of my helmet.  I have no issues at 80 mph with the new smaller screen, and I am 6'1"...

12 hours ago, michigan400 said:

2017 black.

20180816_102944.jpg

Looks good mate, doesn't wreck the lines of the bike. I got my 2018 smoke on last night, will upload some pics this weekend when Ive got some decent light.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, persydonkers said:

Hate to say it and ruin the dream but those tiny flyscreen's are for aesthetics only. They barely (if at all) come up over the dash and we know how much wind the dash deflects. I had one and it kept a little pressure off my belly at best at higher speeds but if that's all you're wanting a screen to do ….. 

• Like 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
On 8/15/2018 at 11:00 PM, zooman72 said:

I just picked a small screen just like the O.P.'s, but for a bit less - check out "small Savage FZ-07 screen" on Ebay, less than $30 shipped, and got it in 10 days from overseas.  Looks good, takes just a bit of wind off lower torso, but leaves my helmet in clean and quieter air - bike came with a MRA double bubble (will put it up for sale here), which took all wind off of my chest, but resulted in bad wind buffeting (and subsequent noise) at the lower edge of my helmet.  I have no issues at 80 mph with the new smaller screen, and I am 6'1"...

Interesting trade off between the savage screen and the MRA!!

1 hour ago, fzar said:

Interesting trade off between the savage screen and the MRA!!

Yeah, coupled with the fact that it looks better, it is a win-win for me.  I considered trying something with a more moderate frontal area than the MRA, such as the Ermax Nose Sport 27mm ($110) or Givi A2118 ($135), but decided to try the smaller Savage since it was so much less money, and really wanted to keep the bottom of my helmet out of turbulent air.

So far, so good, since I don't typically push the bike over 80mph on the highway, and don't go on many long trips (30-40 minutes at a time at most).  The MRA would have worked if I was 2-3" shorter probably.

• Premium Member
On 8/15/2018 at 11:00 PM, zooman72 said:

What tint MRA did your bike come with?

6 hours ago, fzar said:

What tint MRA did your bike come with?

Grey smoke, but it is black on the lower half, with a thin gradient line, and then the smoke for the upper section...

• 4 weeks later...

I've just fitted an MRA double bubble and on a short fast ride the difference was worth the price. I'm 5ft 7, still had the wind on my helmet when giving the beans and at speed, but not the feeling of hanging on for dear life that I had without.