The MT-07 Forum

Tip over protection advice needed please!

NikitaUCLA

OMG! My wife is starting to ride my bike, and yesterday she tipped it over at a light because she's very short at 5'1. She is an excellent rider but it is very hard to balance the bike at a stop when you're short. I'm short too at 5'5 but I manage fine on the bike. With that said, I want to protect the bike in the event of a top over only and have nothing damage.  I'm okay with the bar-ends but no fairing damage in the event of a tip over. Will the slider be enough? Any advice? Thanks!

You just need some frame sliders and then front and rear axle sliders. That should protect the majority of your bike from a tip over. If you click the revzilla ad at the top of the forum page, it will take you directly to the FZ-07 compliant parts and on the left side you can select to filter for frame and axle sliders and you should then have all of the available options to choose from.

They are simple to install yourself and there are a number of youtube videos that will detail how.

If you want no fairing damage, then my advice is add nothing, or take off the fairings until she is settled.  Or just get used to the idea of replacing the fairings down the road.

I have a few things, and an anecdote.

1. A handful on these forums of people have  gotten their frame bent where the sliders are inserted.  I will take damaged fairings over bent frames every single time.  100%, no questions.  In that sense, no bueno on frame sliders.

2. Sato racing specifically warns against using their frame sliders (which are delrin and are inserted in the same spot as everyone else's which are usually delrin as well) for "parking lot" drops.  

3. And my anecdote.  My wife dropped her bike at 0 mph 4 times, twice on each side.  No fairing damage.  Just the usual barends, pegs, mirrors, signals, and exhaust scratching.  I said screw that, installed frame sliders, she dropped it 2 more times, once on each side.  Fairing damage on both sides this time.  The sliders caused a "see saw" effect allowing damage at the top of the bike.  In hindsight, sliders caused more damage to her bike specifically for her parking lot drops.

I cannot say if a cage will offer any more protection because it is created to protect the engine, not fairings.

Anyway, buy engine case savers, maybe something that can protect the exhaust.  But imo forego sliders specifically for saving your fairings at low speed drops.  Sliders are for when you are going 30+mph and you drop your bike.

That is my 2 cents.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

Higdonion Cage and rear sub frame cage is my choice for crash protection... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I got these and am very happy with them. The coating has been very durable. I often ride with my boots up on the cage when slabbing long distances and am not noticing any wear at all. Fit the bike well protects the engine without the fear of a slider snapping off or catching a crack and catapulting the bike. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/yamaha-MT-07-2017-Engine-Guards-Set-Frame-Sliders-Crash-Protector-Damaged-Race/182745911193?epid=2287802839&hash=item2a8c814f99%3Ag%3A-vUAAOSwcQlZq6s4&_sacat=0&_nkw=yamaha+MT+07+2017+Engine+Guards+Set+Frame+Sliders+Crash+Protector+Damaged+Race&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

18 hours ago, NikitaUCLA said:

With that said, I want to protect the bike in the event of a top over only and have nothing damage.

What you are saying is, you do not want to correct the fitting of the bike to help your wife ride safer, your more inclined to save the bike?

Makes perfect sense to me

Get a lowering kit, set the ergo up for your wife's ride height.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I also put a ferrule (from end of a walking stick) on each bar end to save any scrapes there. A handlebar lever can be scraped too but I think you just have to put up with that.

Just do it! 

I'm 5' 8"  with a 30" inseam. I used to ride a bike with a 36 inch seat height with no trouble simply because I learned to lean the bike to one side at a stop. (usually leaned to the right so I could us my left foot to mess with the gears at a stand still if need be.) The FZ-07's seat height is no where near that but when I first got mine the flatness and wideness of the seat prevented me from flat footing with both legs (it was close) and it made the inside of my legs ache because there isn't much padding there but once again, leaning the bike to one side helped tremendously (no more aching there) and all you need is one foot/leg to hold a bike up with, you don't need to balance it on tippy toes.

Although all the things mentioned by others are good preventive things, I would start there before buying a bunch of preventive this and that and maybe save some money. On 2nd thought, both would be best because there's no guarantee the bike won't fall over again. Give it a try for awhile, it gets easier as you go and becomes second nature. It has with me anyway so it's not just something crazy that I thought up. 

Beemer

On 8/7/2018 at 6:14 PM, SkH said:

If you want no fairing damage, then my advice is add nothing, or take off the fairings until she is settled.  Or just get used to the idea of replacing the fairings down the road.

I have a few things, and an anecdote.

1. A handful on these forums of people have  gotten their frame bent where the sliders are inserted.  I will take damaged fairings over bent frames every single time.  100%, no questions.  In that sense, no bueno on frame sliders.

2. Sato racing specifically warns against using their frame sliders (which are delrin and are inserted in the same spot as everyone else's which are usually delrin as well) for "parking lot" drops.  

3. And my anecdote.  My wife dropped her bike at 0 mph 4 times, twice on each side.  No fairing damage.  Just the usual barends, pegs, mirrors, signals, and exhaust scratching.  I said screw that, installed frame sliders, she dropped it 2 more times, once on each side.  Fairing damage on both sides this time.  The sliders caused a "see saw" effect allowing damage at the top of the bike.  In hindsight, sliders caused more damage to her bike specifically for her parking lot drops.

I cannot say if a cage will offer any more protection because it is created to protect the engine, not fairings.

Anyway, buy engine case savers, maybe something that can protect the exhaust.  But imo forego sliders specifically for saving your fairings at low speed drops.  Sliders are for when you are going 30+mph and you drop your bike.

That is my 2 cents.

I forgot to mention that, although the bike landed to the right side, the only damage was to the bar end. Heck, just a scrape. I'm surprised there was no other damage.

Archived