The MT-07 Forum

So that gas tank top fill level..

Spitfire

Saw someone mention on here that there is a recommended MAX top level when filling the gas tank.

What exactly is the top level?

And why isn't it engineered to be right up to the brim like I always fill it, to give me max range?

Anyone KNOW for sure if it's a problem to over fill when it splashes out from slamming the gas cap closed? I know a guy who does this...

JK. Maybe

Not necessarily a problem, at least on non CA bikes (not sure how fuel, not vapors effect the capture system), just a waste of gas. Heat expansion will cause fuel to spill out of the pressure relief valve. It's engineered to allow enough room for expansion without losing the precious fuel. Kind of defeats the purpose...

I've heard arguments against it, but they mostly have to deal with the evaporative canisters getting liquid fuel instead of just vapor in them and needing to be replaced.  I've also heard that if you fill it all the way, the gas (being in a tank on top of your engine and exposed to the sun) heats up and needs empty air space for room to expand.  I imagine there's plenty space that you can't get to no matter how much gas you put in

But I've always put as much as I could on whatever bike I was on and have not exploded once.  Ever.

6 minutes ago, mick97702 said:

Not necessarily a problem, at least on non CA bikes (not sure how fuel, not vapors effect the capture system), just a waste of gas. Heat expansion will cause fuel to spill out of the pressure relief valve. It's engineered to allow enough room for expansion without losing the precious fuel. Kind of defeats the purpose...

Beat me to it by 3 minutes...

I always just fill it till the nozzle shuts itself off and call it a day lol. Too many problems with my old bike that didnt have a filler setup that allowed that to happen and having gas come back out the cap while I'm riding lol.

Its there for a reason, never question, it is for your own safety.  Like labels on pillows you never pull them off the feds will put you in a re-education camp

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

If you do not have a California bike it does not hurt to fill it to the brim as long as your are going to ride straight away.  It it sits and the fuel expands you will just end up dumping some overboard through the vent tube. 

I always brim it. Keep dripping it in till it looks like it's done - up to the inner plate. I also block up the bike to near vertical to squeeze more in. Never had a splash when closing the cap.  I always fill up when there's more riding to do (unavoidable anyway). No probs yet. 

Just do it! 

My philosophy is if you don't mind it doesn't mind. 

Ok, maybe that's a bit too "far out", it was the 70's.

Beemer

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Saw someone mention on here that there is a recommended MAX top level when filling the gas tank.

What exactly is the top level?

And why isn't it engineered to be right up to the brim like I always fill it, to give me max range?

Anyone KNOW for sure if it's a problem to over fill when it splashes out from slamming the gas cap closed? I know a guy who does this...

JK. Maybe

I think the top level is the inner plate with the fill nozzle hole in it.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Carbon canister are designed to see vapors, not raw gas. So a bike with a carbon canister will be a big issue if raw gasoline expands into the canister. It would be like plugging the vent tube w/o a canister. W/o the ability of air ( or fuel vapors from the canister) to enter the tank, eventually a vacuum will form inside the tank and that can kick up error codes, overwork the fuel pump, stop the motor when you need it most -in other words, nothing good in the quest for a couple extra ounces of fuel. 

• Premium Member

I called Trump and he said pull the canister off.....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

AlbatrossCafe
18 hours ago, 208MT07 said:

I always just fill it till the nozzle shuts itself off and call it a day lol. Too many problems with my old bike that didnt have a filler setup that allowed that to happen and having gas come back out the cap while I'm riding lol.

So you only put in like 2.2 gallons? I lose out on a lot of gas if I only do that.

I max fill it because I'm touring and need as much capacity as possible because don't know when or where the next one will be. 

Drive so fast that there never is time for fuel vaporization. At subsonic speeds, gas in my tank actually liquifies and helps to keep my nuts cool.😉

i fill to the the hole in that metal plate thing - maybe a tad more. A true 4 gallon capacity would sure have been nice, but the seat won't let me sit that long anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

I put the nozzle in all the way. Fill till it stops. Then pull out just below the rim of the filler, as described in manual, and do a slow fill at that point till I see the fuel go slight over the bottom lip. That's full. According to Manuel. 

Archived