The MT-07 Forum

Hordpower

pma

• Premium Member

It's definitely worth it. The install is pretty easy..... Removing the "old" airbox = HARD 🤔..... I started out being very patient (as most people do). After about 30 minutes of frustration, I cut the airbox into small pieces with a "sawzall" (carefully). This is the way I would do it again- if I had to. The Hordpower intake is probably the BEST $300 I ever spent on my bike!!!! Good luck-

• Like 3

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I managed to remove the standard airbox in one piece by carefully following Hord's instructions, but it is a bit fiddly.

The Hordpower intake rocks, it makes noticeably more power.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

New guy here, I had a question about the hord power airbox. I have been doing alot of looking into it and decided I was going to just make my own. I have all the parts I can't make myself figured out and ordered. The only thing I was not able to find is if the hord intake has a large radius leading into the throttle bodies or not. I did put one on mine but I was very curios if they did or not. The link below is to pictures of what I have done so far. The tubes were on back order so I only have one right now so I can't install it yet. Let me know what you guys think. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rA3pMT1tiuqM6kwMA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 16FZIA said:

I have been doing alot of looking into it and decided I was going to just make my own. I have all the parts I can't make myself figured out and ordered. The only thing I was not able to find is if the hord intake has a large radius leading into the throttle bodies or not.

That looks fantastic, well done.

Hord's design uses raised, radiused bellmouth intakes on the lower alloy plate.

A supporting bracket attaches the airbox to the frame so that it's mounted solid.

Hord.JPG

Edited by stickshift

9 minutes ago, stickshift said:

A supporting bracket attaches the airbox to the frame so that it's mounted solid.

Hord.JPG

Thank you for that information!!! I have been looking for how they designed it. Hord uses an K&N-3325 filter but their is a E-3341 that is slightly taller ( just over 1/2"). All other dimensions are the same. If this fits well and has plenty of room I might possibly give the other filer a go and see what it flows. I would like to find a little wider filter so the intake radius isn't so close to the filter itself.  My logic behind the radius and short stack was to try and eliminate flow restriction because you need to make it smaller then the original tubes so it fits together. I didn't spend the time I should have double checking on solidworks to test it or looking for an alternative tube. This is kinda a project bike to play with so there will be alot of alterations and revisions to what I am doing. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stickshift said:

Hord.JPG

Sorry for the double reply/ question they appear to be cast parts. Are they cast or machined from billet aluminum? 

3 hours ago, 16FZIA said:

Sorry for the double reply/ question they appear to be cast parts. Are they cast or machined from billet aluminum? 

It's machined from billet, it's just the photo that makes it look like it's cast.

My Hord filter has about 3/8" clearance with the shock at full compression. This might be different depending on which shock you have.

Moto2.jpg

Edited by stickshift

23 hours ago, stickshift said:

It's machined from billet, it's just the photo that makes it look like it's cast.

My Hord filter has about 3/8" clearance with the shock at full compression. This might be different depending on which shock you have.

Moto2.jpg

I have a stock rear shock. So I more then likely have more room to spare. Off subject but how do you like the quick shifter? I wondered if it was worth the money on these or not. My brother has his ducati but that has so many other electronic controls that it does help. 

1 hour ago, 16FZIA said:

Off subject but how do you like the quick shifter?

I love using it at track days, it's faster to shift and smoother. 

I only rarely use it on the road, mainly because I don't spend much time on the road in the upper rev range.

Fuel/spark cut times are adjusted through a Power Commander.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:52 PM, stickshift said:

I love using it at track days, it's faster to shift and smoother. 

I only rarely use it on the road, mainly because I don't spend much time on the road in the upper rev range.

Fuel/spark cut times are adjusted through a Power Commander.

I don't go on the track anymore so would you say it's worth it for on road? Around here we have alot of back roads that you will be in the upper rims having a little fun. Not like on the track but pushing it. I also added a few more pictures to the Google photos. 

M. Hausknecht

How do YOU measure worth? I've raced motorcycles with and without a quickshifter and in this context, if you're trying to optimize your results you need to take all the advantages you can afford. A quickshifter, properly adjusted, will gain you enough of an advantage on a straight with two or three upshifts to get a pass against an otherwise equal rider/bike without a QS, or it will just allow you to keep up with otherwise equals with QS . In any other context, I think the difference in acceleration is irrelevant, except to the extent that you derive pleasure from the act of shifting without rolling off or from knowing you've got the latest technology. So, how much pleasure is a QS to you and what is it worth? I can think of a bunch of modifications with equivalent cost that would yield more benefit on the street.

21 hours ago, 16FZIA said:

I don't go on the track anymore so would you say it's worth it for on road? Around here we have alot of back roads that you will be in the upper rims having a little fun. Not like on the track but pushing it. I also added a few more pictures to the Google photos. 

I don't think the QS is that useful on the road.

The money would be better spent towards getting an aftermarket rear shock.

Intake is looking great! How are you going to adjust the fueling?

Edited by stickshift

On 12/9/2021 at 7:45 PM, stickshift said:

I don't think the QS is that useful on the road.

The money would be better spent towards getting an aftermarket rear shock.

Intake is looking great! How are you going to adjust the fueling?

2wheel dyno will be making all adjustments to the ECU. I do have a friend with a dyno that I plan on taking it to as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I ordered the Hordpower airbox. Seems it’s pretty back ordered. I have to send my ecu out for a tune. I see a ton of 2WDW, any reason not to go to Hord for it? I have a little time to make a decision before it ship to get some money off from hord

• Premium Member
Just now, PMT-07 said:

Well I ordered the Hordpower airbox. Seems it’s pretty back ordered. I have to send my ecu out for a tune. I see a ton of 2WDW, any reason not to go to Hord for it? I have a little time to make a decision before it ship to get some money off from hord

I would go with Hord for the tune, he designed it for his  airbox. 
I have his tune  for my Dynojet PCV, I love it. Smooth, consistent and great top end pull. 

Ed 

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Just now, Evill_Ed said:

I would go with Hord for the tune, he designed it for his  airbox. 
I have his tune  for my Dynojet PCV, I love it. Smooth, consistent and great top end pull. 

Ed 

Yeah. I know everyone rants on the pcv tune. Any major difference between 2WDW it is it pretty similar from an ecu stand point?

On 11/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, stickshift said:

I managed to remove the standard airbox in one piece by carefully following Hord's instructions, but it is a bit fiddly.

The Hordpower intake rocks, it makes noticeably more power.

Did you remove your Throttle bodies?

• Premium Member
Just now, PMT-07 said:

Yes, you need to remove the throttle bodies to make it easier. 

Ed 

Just now, Evill_Ed said:

Yes, you need to remove the throttle bodies to make it easier. 

Ed 

Unless it gets cut out like everyone else has been doing?

• Premium Member
Just now, PMT-07 said:

Unless it gets cut out like everyone else has been doing?

Pretty much. I removed the throttle bodies . It only took a few minutes to do, and then the stock airbox can be wiggled out.

Ed

Just now, PMT-07 said:

Yes, I followed Hord's included instructions to the letter.

I removed the airbox in one piece, which can only be done if you remove the throttle bodies from the inlet manifolds. You don't need to completely remove/disconnect the TBs, just remove them from the inlet rubbers which gives the airbox more room to be removed via the left-hand side of the frame.

With the standard airbox removed it's very easy to put it all back together and install the Hord airbox because there's so much more room.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
M. Hausknecht
On 5/31/2023 at 12:10 PM, pepperona said:

Not sure if I should start a new thread but:

Is hordpower not making the intake anymore? I don't see it listed on his website

https://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_69&zenid=m6l44nrqkor480gbspvqoh5rn5

J.D. Hord uses Yamaha intake boots and, on occasion, he has difficulty getting them. When he doesn't have them, he takes the intake off the website. Be patient or email him to be put on a list for when he can make them again.

• Like 3

On 11/21/2021 at 7:08 PM, PMT-07 said:

Hord intake still worth it? Looking to do one on my mt07. Difficult to install?

"Worth" what, exactly?  If you want to increase performance on an FZ, putting on an aftermarket, free-er flowing air intake system is probably the most important thing you can do, outside of internal engine modifications.  More gains than an exhaust, or at least similar.  The OEM box is very restrictive.  

The Horde is a great option, especially for the price.  I think they're still around $350.  No, it's not a hard install.  But you will need to either flash your ECU, or put on a Power Commander or similar.

I run them on my race bikes.

• Like 2