The MT-07 Forum

Bike won't start after it sits for a couple of weeks

Kendall

Hi guys what are your thoughts on this one? Have 15 FZ 07 with ten k on it . If it sits for a couple of weeks it will not start battery is dead, I put a new battery in and am still having a problem, charges ok. Could the cluster and clock be draining it that much?

NRWhiteKnight

I would not think the clock on the cluster would draw that much over a couple of weeks. How did you determine that the new battery charges "ok"? And what is your definition of "ok"?  On my former 09 FZ1 I called 13.8+ volts (14.1 at 5K RPM) ok, but the dealer said the charging system was failing.  More details will help us help you. 🙂

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

• Global Moderator

Mine has sat for a few weeks and started with no problems.  I usually hook up the battery tender if I think it is going to sit for more than about a week though.  

My bike can sit 3-4 weeks and it's fine. Do you have any after market accessories? It could be a parasitic drain if you do. If not. Look for a + ground. Something pinched. Thatll cause it too.

If it is charging and the new battery is doing the same as the old one before dying; I would suspect a parasitic drag of some sort. Think easy and cheap first. Check every ground and electrical connection, especially the handlebar kill switch and ignition switch. Without knowing more specifics I can only guess but experience has taught me it's almost always the last thing you checked that should have been first that was the problem.  The switches you use the most are the most likely suspects.  They get dirty and wear out from use. Contact cleaner/dryer, canned air and patience are your friends.  There should be no real drain with the systems powered down. I have a mini battery in mine and it sits 6 months a year w/o problem or charger and snaps to life.

Good luck.

• Premium Member

biggest culprits are aftermarket accessories such as anti-theft devices and navigation equipment that drain battery... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Thanks for your help , it's has a Yamaha 12 volt and cellphone charger on the bars when I bought it I will disconnect and see what happens .

+1 for aftermarket accessories causing issues. 

I installed a controller for heated gloves and can't let the bike sit for more than a couple days unless I have the battery tender hooked up.  Without the controlled hooked up, I can go weeks without needing the battery tender.  

Whether you have a parasitic drain or not, that's a long time for a 'especially used' battery to sit. You have to expect that it's going to drain the battery at least a little if not a lot (depending on, etc, etc. ) so for a fix for either letting it sit or a parasitic drain I recommend a battery tender as prevention. First things first. Edit: I just noticed that you're going to disconnect your charger, good choice if you don't need it. +1

Beemer

5 hours ago, mecmar44 said:

+1 for aftermarket accessories causing issues. 

I installed a controller for heated gloves and can't let the bike sit for more than a couple days unless I have the battery tender hooked up.  Without the controlled hooked up, I can go weeks without needing the battery tender.  

Put a M/F connector between the heated gloves controller and the battery.

Archived