The MT-07 Forum

Harley Street Fighter 975

afatrat

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
topazsparrow

I'm scared to see the curb weight, but it looks pretty cool. Hopefully they don't skimp on the suspension.

OK, cognitive dissonance...a harley that looks likle a motorcycle rather than a tractor. Wonder who the designer was? Looks wise at least it's a winner.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Liquidmetal

Looks nice, looks heavy.  Hopefully the engine output is decent.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

• Global Moderator

It is nice to see Harley making a bike that I like the looks of.  I might need to test ride one. 

second coming of the 'V-Max', kinda? Maybe it's a short-stroke V-Rod motor.

Looks just like the Showa or possibly KYB BPF fork caps so presumably they could be fully adjustable. But I wouldn't put it past them to make it only preload-adjustable or possibly one dead leg and one active leg like Kawasaki did on the 2013 ZX6.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

I'm scared to see the curb weight, but it looks pretty cool. Hopefully they don't skimp on the suspension.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't heavy but apparently they plan on having legit suspension:

"Paired with these new engines will be fully adjustable suspension from Showa, Brembo monobloc brakes and sporty Michelin tyres. Harley say the new bikes will also have a proper electronics package and while they won’t be drawn on details we’re expecting lean-angle sensitive traction control, cornering ABS and adjustable rider modes. Of course these three models are just the start."

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/harley-middleweight-range/

topazsparrow
2 minutes ago, afatrat said:

I'd be shocked if it wasn't heavy but apparently they plan on having legit suspension:

"Paired with these new engines will be fully adjustable suspension from Showa, Brembo monobloc brakes and sporty Michelin tyres. Harley say the new bikes will also have a proper electronics package and while they won’t be drawn on details we’re expecting lean-angle sensitive traction control, cornering ABS and adjustable rider modes. Of course these three models are just the start."

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/harley-middleweight-range/

If they don't botch this up real bad, they might have a piece of the market on their hands to be honest. I wonder how that bike would fit in with "real" harley riders though. It might end up being like the Vrod where you don't fit in with the "real men" harley riders, but you're also on a harley so you don't get much love from the import crowd.

firstyammerha

I saw on the web today that Harley is coming out with smaller displacement bikes. I wonder if these will be imports like the 1970s 350cc bikes? Does Harley own any foreign bike producers?   

I have to admit, I like the look of it, but the "devil is in the details" - how heavy will it be, will it be reasonable ergonomically, and will it be reasonable financially???

It appears that HD is really amping up their demo rides, and with a dealer only 10 minutes away (right down the road from my Yamaha dealer), I would definitely give it a spin...

I know they tryin'

it's kinda sad 

they's wishing for a fighter

but they made a Lard Lad

Beemer

That's a DAMN GOOD LOOKING BIKE! I want one. Bad. 

Harley haters flame away, but if this 950SF ends up being a legit performer I will see about trading the FZ in on one. 

And there's no Buell DNA here. Thank goodness! Buell's were nothing more than old Sporty lumps stuck in a tube frame with horribly mismatched plastics. Looked like a CL yard build IMO. This is a clean slate bike, not regurgitated parts. 

I'm f@#king excited and cannot wait for this thing to hit my town. I've told people that my FZ is the bike I always wished the Sportster would have evolved in to: a light, nimble, grunty little twin. If HD pulls this off, I'll be on one. 

Looks like I got a couple years to save up, sadly :(  C'mon, Harley...bring it NOW!

• Global Moderator
22 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I know they tryin'

it's kinda sad 

they's wishing for a fighter

but they made a Lard Lad

I say give them the benefit of the doubt until they publish the specs.  It does look heavy though.  (I had to enter heavy three times before it did not autocorrect...first time it said great and the next time best, HD must be messing with my keyboard)

I just bought streetfighter975.com, streetfighter975.org and streetfighter975.net . 

Who wants to help me moderate the new Harley forum? 

I don't care that traditional Harley riders wont buy this bike. And I believe that this bike will weigh under 600 lbs.  

I think that this bike will make a shet load of Torque and be a hoot to ride and if it comes in under $10,500 it will sell really well.  

Under 600 lbs puts it in to the territory with Bandit 1250's and ZRX1200's, barely.  Both of those used tube frames, and this bike is going with a stressed member engine. Neither of those are cutting edge sportbikes either. I think this 950SF is obviously shooting for more of a muscle bike vibe than and full one sport bike race replica. Hopefully that will help keep the weight down. Harley has not earned themselves a good reputation in the weight arena, but if they can hit sub 550lbs (and they should be able to) it will be a solid contender IMO. 

I agree on pricing. $10.5k keeps it out of MT10/ KTM 1290 territory, and that tough competition. If they go over $10k it's gonna be a hard sell, but if they can hit $10k or less I think they'll move loads of them. They'll have to handle, though. As beautiful as the ZRX's are....geez, what a sled. 

Moderating a Harley forum should be easy. Those guys are laid back! It's every other forum that loses their shet and sees red when Harley is mentioned. 😂

• Global Moderator

It looks like 2020 is the planned release date, so two more years and we will see if it lives up to its potential.  I hope HD makes it compelling.  I am curious to ride one but right now I think the MT-10, along with a lot of other competitors, will give it a run for the money.  

It is good to see Harley finally expanding their envelope! They have been scared too long of offending their primary customer base, and as a result has been left behind the times. Hopefully, they will have success with their new lineups; we all benefit in more ways than just having new models to choose from.

17 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Under 600 lbs puts it in to the territory with Bandit 1250's and ZRX1200's, barely.  Both of those used tube frames, and this bike is going with a stressed member engine. Neither of those are cutting edge sportbikes either. I think this 950SF is obviously shooting for more of a muscle bike vibe than and full one sport bike race replica. Hopefully that will help keep the weight down. Harley has not earned themselves a good reputation in the weight arena, but if they can hit sub 550lbs (and they should be able to) it will be a solid contender IMO. 

I agree on pricing. $10.5k keeps it out of MT10/ KTM 1290 territory, and that tough competition. If they go over $10k it's gonna be a hard sell, but if they can hit $10k or less I think they'll move loads of them. They'll have to handle, though. As beautiful as the ZRX's are....geez, what a sled. 

Moderating a Harley forum should be easy. Those guys are laid back! It's every other forum that loses their shet and sees red when Harley is mentioned. 😂

Why are you calling it a 950sf?  It's a 975, or am I wrong? 

It looks great - the opposite of laid back. And its advantage against the MT-10 is it is a twin. I wish Harley good luck with it, they need a completely different additional range. It reminds me of the Glynn Kerr design for the Yam TDM 900 which was never taken up (sadly). 

TDM Project Glyn Kerr.jpg

Just do it! 

Archived