The MT-07 Forum

FZ 07 or Street Triple

rlyons124

Hi all, I would love some opinions.  Been riding on and off for 15 years (not an expert, just average guy) with different bikes, cruisers, dirt bikes and supermotos.  Looking to get a naked.  This bike will be used for spirited riding in the twisty roads of the Ozark mountains.  I will do some small highway stints to get too and from.  Narrowed it down to a FZ 07 or Street Triple.  So basicly my question is, do I buy a FZ and put money into the suspension/brakes or just buy the triple.  With suspension work on an FZ could you get it to corner/handle as good or better than a Street Triple?  Info I've gathered from the internet and talking to people so far.

FZ 07 likes:

More upright

Better low end torque/don't have to rev as much

Cheep

Reliability/low maintenance

FZ 07 dislikes:

Suspension

Brakes

handling

Street Triple likes:

Suspension

Brakes

handling

Street Triple dislikes:

More aggressive riding position

Have to rev it higher to get more power

Reliability/maintenance? 

I have sat on both and rode a XSR700(FZ 07 equivalent?)  I love the XSR700, I didn't get to ride it too hard but I really liked the handling.  I'm 150 lbs with regular clothes the suspension felt ok with minor testing.  I could get a FZ for 3500 plus suspension work or 6000 for a street triple, price isn't too different and both are within my price range.  Please give me your opinion on which one to get, FZ 07 w/suspension upgrades or Street Triple.  Everything here is basically what I have gathered from talking to people or reading on the internet, if you think otherwise please let me know and why I love hearing everyone's opinion.  

If you are serious about speed get the Street Triple.

If roll on power is more important than top end the Yamaha might be slightly better or it might be a tie. Depends on how many rpms you like to ride with.

If you don't have a good Triumph dealer by you, get the Yamaha.

Well, I think you have a good handle on the 2 bike's plus/minus thing. 

I had the same choice when i bought my FZ. It came down to the torque and price of entry for me. The bike fit my riding style better than the Street. There was also a ton more stuff available aftermarket  like wind protection etc. - at least at the time. 

I guess you could spend $2k on suspension work on the FZ, but you don't have to to make substantial improvements over the OE bits. 

You might want to check insurance quotes. I was shocked to find the the FZ cost way more to insure than the Street. My conversation with an agent went - "the Triumph costs 50% more, makes 50% more power, will be more expensive to repair, explain to me why it costs half to insure?" They still have no answer beyond Trumph calling the Street a standard and Yamaha more calling the FZ a sport bike. Go figure. 

Either way, you can't go wrong. It's just all about the motor in the end. 

FZ07R WaNaB
13 minutes ago, rick said:

I was shocked to find the the FZ cost way more to insure than the Street.

My research showed that it depends on whether the insurance company considers the FZ-07 a sportbike or a standard. For example, Progressive and Foremost consider it a sportbike (especially Progressive). Dairyland does not, and my insurance through Dairyland was 1/3 of what Progressive wanted 2 years ago. Strangely, my insurance went up with Dairyland after the first year which made no sense to me (no tickets) other than they are realizing the bike's potential for trouble. Plus I live in the DC area which has high premiums due to the traffic - it's still tons cheaper that Progressive.

18 minutes ago, rick said:

I guess you could spend $2k on suspension work on the FZ

I'm now a firm believer that for the casual rider, the hot ticket is the Bitubo XZE11 shock with a set of Sonic springs and heavier oil in the front. My FZ rides fine with this combo, and the total cost with installation (thank you Paulie and Matt) was about $550 ($500 if you do it yourself).

• Global Moderator

I have a friend with a Street Triple.  He loves the bike...except for the suspension.  He is 175 lbs and it is way too soft.  He is going to replace the shock and get the fork internals upgraded.   I think either way you will have to do suspension work. 

No bad choice here. Get one and have fun. The Yammie may be a bit longer lasting as the motor is a bit less stressed and Japanese materials engineering ( though the cheese bolts may put a lie to that).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

intensity_white

Also consider how much you enjoy wrenching/modding.  For me, the extra expense/work of bringing the Yamaha up to speed is at least half the fun, so the FZ/MT presents an opportunity to do some fun projects on a pretty solid foundation with a low entry price.

Also, my local Triumph dealer closed down.  So probably an easier choice for me than for you.  

AlbatrossCafe

I test rode the street triple before the FZ. Definitely faster in a straight line, but the riding position was very tiring for me. I was on it for 10 minutes and my arms were sore (I'm 6'2").

The FZ I can ride for a long time and still be comfortable. I put slightly lowered bars on it so I'm not straight up and down, but I'm also not putting all my weight on my arms.

The FZ was 2/3 the price and is cake to work on it. Also I like the sound better ;)

I suggest test riding both and form your own decision so that you know for sure which you like better 'in the twisties'. I will say this, the FZ-07 is somewhat like a supermoto because of it's gobs of torque, lightness, nimbleness and quickness so if you like a supermoto you will likely feel right at home on an FZ-07. Granted, the FZ won't have nearly as much travel in the suspension nor as good a suspension but you may be OK with it, depending on how spirited you ride and how smooth the roads are that you ride on, etc. I also like the sound of a twin better, you can hear the pistons independently doing their job vs the inline sound of bzzzzzzzzz that's so common with all the supersports on the road. That's just me, maybe you like that buzz.

Beemer

MT27,

I agree. Both bikes with a reasonable exhaust system have a unique and superb sound, though very different from each other. The 07 sounds better rightv through the rev range. Even idle in the case of the Akra carbon ( other systems prob do as well). The sound is so distinct it doesn't have to be that loud to be noticed from inside a car.

The Triple sound very delicious at the spinney end. The term " on song" is most appropiate for the triple at revs with a great pipe ( Arrow particularly).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

midlifedelinquent

I have both bikes, the Street is a R model, and the FZ has intake, exhaust, and tuning. The Street is much more a sport bike in how power is delivered, and 1st gear is good to about 70mph, and each gear after is about 10-15mph more. The FZ seems to wander more at extra-legal cruising speeds, but is quite confidence inspiring up to 80-90mph. Also, the forums and aftermarket are quite weak for the Triumph.

• Premium Member

I would rather buy an FZ-09 over a speed triple... have you peeked behind thr door at the service dept at a Triumph dealership 🙈... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

The Triumph dealership that was in my town closed and the one in the next town stopped selling Triumphs.  The closest dealer is too far away and I would be nervous about getting any warrantee work done if it went away as well.  What is going on with all the Triumph stores closing?

33 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

The Triumph dealership that was in my town closed and the one in the next town stopped selling Triumphs.  The closest dealer is too far away and I would be nervous about getting any warrantee work done if it went away as well.  What is going on with all the Triumph stores closing?

I have been looking through the triumphrat forums as I have been considering a Thruxton R and they just fired their USA Chief. There are a number of threads about dealers having an undue burden placed on them by triumph in order to be a dealer compared to other manufacturers. Many, it seems, decide that triumph is just asking too much for it to be worth it for them to continue to deal with their brand and forego it for other manufacturers models.

Take a look at Atlanta. Triumph USA head quarters is based south of the city near the airport but there is only 1 dealer within 40 miles of the city with the closest being ~25 miles out. It is kind of baffling to me.

The BMW dealers have to have separate showrooms - at least a room separated by a door so the BMWs don't have to share space with the lesser brands. Maybe Triumph is getting is going that way.. 

I actually have 3 Triumph dealers within 15 or 20 miles. One of those is also BMW and Ducati. When you walk in the main door, you have to go  look for the Triumphs and Ducs.

Even have a Motus dealer about 15 miles out, but can't tell you where closest Aprilia shop is. And while talking about triples, the closest MV shop is at the other end of the state. I've never once seen one in person. 

21 hours ago, midlifedelinquent said:

Also, the forums and aftermarket are quite weak for the Triumph.

And *THAT* ladies and gentlemen should be your first criteria in selecting a motorcycle. If Cruizin runs a forum for it, it's a buy! :)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived