The MT-07 Forum

3 mistakes that can be argued

faffi

I'll take a stab at it. First, one thing he didn't think about was how high the lights are on a motorcycle. Because of that they always look different to me than car headlights and there's also the angle as to which you see the headlights you always should take into consideration. When you turn your head to the left to look down the road you can pretty much judge the distance of headlights by that.  if they're real close you don't have to turn your head or eyes as much. the further away the more the angle. I never have judged distance by how close two lights are to each other, that's a morons mistake, not the average persons.

The hand signal is not always given where there is a driveway or road a person could turn onto so people with good common sense know the person is just waving to the other cyclist or if they've spent any time in vehicles they've witnessed this many times. Even kids see this happen over and over long before they ever get their drivers licenses so they'e aware of the cyclists hand signal. I've yet to see anyone freak out (like portrayed in the video) over a turn signal whether it be by hand or turn switch. why would someone freak out over a hand signal anyway??? Also, there's usually a slight difference in the way the wave is given, most people point down at an angle, not hold the hand straight out to the side. Some do it that way but just the same, I've never heard of or seen anyone ever freak out over it and have an accident. 

I understand what he's saying about cornering but again, I've never had trouble with taking a corner at a lower speed nor have I heard that doing so is dangerous. If he wants me to believe that more speed makes you safer I don't buy it. besides, if you did start to lose traction at a lower speed you usually you have more time to react to it and if you do low side you aren't going as fast so "safer" is questionable. Just my 2 C worth.

I like the dude, love his videos but I think someone was just reaching for straws so they could make a video in, "The Paranoid Zone!"

Beemer

I would agree with you on the laters, BUT for lights perception.... The only problem is we a talking about car drivers that probably do not know the difference height or are to distracted to even see a difference. We are not talking about motorcyclists like you and me who gives a f... about these things. So I tend to agree with Ryan on this one. 

3 hours ago, Bgagnon said:

I would agree with you on the laters, BUT for lights perception.... The only problem is we a talking about car drivers that probably do not know the difference height or are to distracted to even see a difference. We are not talking about motorcyclists like you and me who gives a f... about these things. So I tend to agree with Ryan on this one. 

It's relative. We can only guess as to why they pulled in front of a bike (maybe the light was dim, maybe it wasn't angled right, etc.) We can also only guess if the car driver was a bike rider him/her self and IF they saw the headlight at all. We must also consider that bikers also make bad mistakes and one of them being they pull out in front of other bikes and cars just like cagers do. It's not all one sided.

Besides, out of the thousands of people in cars that have sat and saw me coming only two have ever pulled in front of me and the blame is on alcohol so I don't see that people misjudging headlights and causing accidents is out of control (I'm sure it does happen) or something to make a thing about. I do know that people do get desperate and dig a little deep for material to make a video about at times. Accidents are going to happen, regardless of who, where or when or what light. I say again, "The Paranoid Zone." 

Beemer

Archived