The MT-07 Forum

Dropped bike. I might have f'ed up.

dustyyy6

So I wrecked yesterday. My fault. Maybe I should say I just dropped it going walking speed

I was at a 4 way intersection stopped, I was turning left, light changes I wait, I see an opening I start pulling and of coarse see a car. Brake and front slides on some gravel and I go down. Looks like minimal damages just some scratches and what not. My peg feeler broke off but on the ride home if felt bent down. Then I notice the paint is cracking at the motor mount where I put on sliders. I was only going say 3 kph when I went down.

I will get someone to look at it because safety but what do you all think, is it going to be written off if a motor mount is bent out of place?  

To my eye it looks ffine, the bolt got loose in the incident and it came out with no force, it is not bent in any way. But the paint chipping around there worries me... could be stress fractures if I'm not mistaken. Looking forward to some insight please.

15327087233026163696306316252487.thumb.jpg.1ce6bbfd53e92e768efa160579964540.jpg

It certainly looks like it. That is exactly where you would expect to see the cracks due to the welding and stress.

check the bolt torque on the rest of the motor mounts. I'm going to guess the thin-wall endcap of the mount (hiding on the far side of the horizontal tube) probably got dished. So either shim it or you'll need a new frame. If latter the insurance company will Total it.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Damn sucks how such a small mistake can do this much damage! Might as well bring it in and get it looked at by a professional.  

Rear set is definitely tweaked too

I do the same thing too often, clamp on the front brake at low speeds. Luckily, so far I've had enough power to keep the bikes upright, but I really should practice unlearning the technique and use the rear brake instead. It's fine when I'm not under stress, but the reflexes still go for the front brake when I need to act immediately.

Sorry to hear that happened. I'm always leery about using too much front brake when turning for fear of the front tire washing out or coming to a stop with the bike still leaned over can cause a person to drop it if they don't get a foot on the ground quick enough to hold the bike up. There are a number of reasons paint can come off, I wouldn't write it off to a bent anything so quickly but definitely have it checked by a professional to be sure. If the paint wasn't adhered to a particular spot as well as the rest because of a flaw in the prep work or other then a direct shock to that spot could make paint crack or chip off. Maybe it was simply thinner there. Or, the frame is bent and the paint is chipped because of it. GL with it! Let us know what you find out.

Beemer

It's also possible that the slider's aluminum bushing took the brunt of the force, got crushed. and that's why the bolt is now loose. Have a close look at it as well. 

Yep, just cause the paint seems damaged on the frame, doesn't mean doom. I  think I'd carefully remove the paint where it looks damaged to see if the metal underneath is damaged. But if that weld is cracked, insurance, like Pattonme said, will total the bike - even though that piece of frame is likely not all that expensive (w/o the labor of course) 

Hey thanks for all the words guys. Makes me feel a bit better haha. I am going to bring it to be checked by a guy in the next town over that everyone around town recommended. 

Funny thing is I have been practicing using rear brake for these kind of situations but apparently in the heat of it I panicked.  Which is understandable, just have to practice more I suppose. 

After closer inspection by myself I think my handlebars are messed too. Oh and i apparently broke my 6th rib. Not happy as I only have so long to be on 2 wheels before the snow hits again. Oh well could have been worse.

I will keep this updated once I bring the bike in to get looked at. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/2/2018 at 11:11 AM, dustyyy6 said:

Hey thanks for all the words guys. Makes me feel a bit better haha. I am going to bring it to be checked by a guy in the next town over that everyone around town recommended. 

Funny thing is I have been practicing using rear brake for these kind of situations but apparently in the heat of it I panicked.  Which is understandable, just have to practice more I suppose. 

After closer inspection by myself I think my handlebars are messed too. Oh and i apparently broke my 6th rib. Not happy as I only have so long to be on 2 wheels before the snow hits again. Oh well could have been worse.

I will keep this updated once I bring the bike in to get looked at. 

Sorry to hear about you bad situation, how's the broken rib healing? Any updates on the bike?

I am all healed up, ready to ride. 

Update on the bike is I got my father to look at it when he came into town, ( lifetime rider of 2 wheels and also a career welder ). I sanded the paint off and he took a good look. He said it is fine.  So I will ride it and keep a very close eye on it. 

Now to get some saddle time in before the cold white stuff starts falling.

• Global Moderator
59 minutes ago, dustyyy6 said:

Update on the bike is I got my father to look at it when he came into town, ( lifetime rider of 2 wheels and also a career welder ). I sanded the paint off and he took a good look. He said it is fine.  So I will ride it and keep a very close eye on it. 

i had similar damage when i lad mine down at about 8mph, had a buddy of mine that designs roll cages look at it, said it was just the impact that flexed the weld a bit and caused the flake,

no issues as of yet and ive put another 10k miles on it. though i do at some point need to get it stripped and repainted. 

glad to hear you're healed and back on 2 wheels

get out there and beware the cagers

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, dustyyy6 said:

Great to hear, where the hell are you that your worried about "white stuff coming down" in september?

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Rib pain sucks, glad to hear you're back in the saddle. Stay frosty!

cracked ribs put a whole new meaning on laughing, sneezing and just rolling over in bed. 

Great news on the frame. The paint on parts of this bike is microscopically thin -  probably why the bike is so light 😉

Archived