The MT-07 Forum

New MT07 owner

Carne Seca

I plan on keeping a thread going for the mods and things I decide to do.

I had a 2015 R1 for a few years and made several mods to it, but the recall always bothered me.

I traded that bike in for an 18 R1 April 21st, but I never got a chance to mod anything. I got hit on my way home from work on June 4th, and my bike was totaled.

Couldnt afford to jump on another R1 right away, and I always wanted an FZ/MT-07 to have as a second bike for when the R1 was getting work/mods done.

So this will be my commuter while I save up for another R1.

I went with Team Blue so it will match my R1

I have a few things in mind so far.

TST fender eliminator

Custom led tail light (when its released)

Radiator guard, probably Dieci83. had one on the R1.

rear spool/sliders

Id like to get a wind screen and an exhaust. But I cant find anything that says 2018, everything is for 2017.

I know the bike has changed a bit since last year, but will a wind screen for older models still work?

Im pretty sure the exhaust will be fine, but did everyone else have to cut the cat off? or would it be better to just get a full exhaust system, instead of a slip on?

Its not even close to being broken in, so im not too worried about changing the gearing yet, but just wondering if anyone has changed sprocket sizes, if so what did you go with?

Ill update with pics as soon as I start with the mods.

Bigturbomax

I went with a full exhaust system. Alot of folks have. The only "slip on" im aware of is the M4 that requires cutting the cat off. I personally dont care for the look and its WAY too loud for my tastes.  Your mileage of course may vary. Look in the exhaust section and youll find a ton of helpful reviews. Yoshimura makes 3 different and VERY nice, quality full exhausts fot this bike. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2017-YAMAHA-FZ-07-FZ07-YOSHIMURA-FULL-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-2RC-E46D0-V0-00-/232438056882?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

I went with this yamaha approved one and love it. Just loud enough, a good bit lighter and looks great to my eye. The akropivic titanium system also gets high marks from all ive seen. 

Older model windscreens will not work, bolt pattern on top of headlight is different. Yamaha makes a good looking one for the 18 tho.

I cant say much for fender eliminator as my motech saddlebags make the rear end look more complete so i dont feel the need on mine. 

For the tail light, have you seen the TST integrated one? I REALLY want one. It looks trick. 

https://tstindustries.com/TST-LED-Integrated-Taillight-2015-R3-FZ07.html

Welcome aboard the forums. I hope you enjoy your mt07. I love mine, makes my old 600 katana look pretty bad lol. I imagine it feels pretty tame compared to your last R1. Nonetheless, its still a torquey little riot that gets great mileage. So im sure youll like it. 

9 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

I went with a full exhaust system. Alot of folks have. The only "slip on" im aware of is the M4 that requires cutting the cat off. I personally dont care for the look and its WAY too loud for my tastes.  Your mileage of course may vary. Look in the exhaust section and youll find a ton of helpful reviews. Yoshimura makes 3 different and VERY nice, quality full exhausts fot this bike. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2017-YAMAHA-FZ-07-FZ07-YOSHIMURA-FULL-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-2RC-E46D0-V0-00-/232438056882?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

I went with this yamaha approved one and love it. Just loud enough, a good bit lighter and looks great to my eye. The akropivic titanium system also gets high marks from all ive seen. 

Older model windscreens will not work, bolt pattern on top of headlight is different. Yamaha makes a good looking one for the 18 tho.

I cant say much for fender eliminator as my motech saddlebags make the rear end look more complete so i dont feel the need on mine. 

For the tail light, have you seen the TST integrated one? I REALLY want one. It looks trick. 

https://tstindustries.com/TST-LED-Integrated-Taillight-2015-R3-FZ07.html

Welcome aboard the forums. I hope you enjoy your mt07. I love mine, makes my old 600 katana look pretty bad lol. I imagine it feels pretty tame compared to your last R1. Nonetheless, its still a torquey little riot that gets great mileage. So im sure youll like it. 

It was very different at first, but the bike is definitely growing on me.

I am familiar with the TST tail light but I think im gonna stick with CustomLED, I had their tail light on my R1, I liked being able to dial in the brightness and the strobe pattern.

https://www.customled.com/products/2018-yamaha-mt-07-integrated-led-tail-light

But unfortunately, neither the TST or CustomLED light is available yet.

I had the M4 street slayer on my first R1, it was so loud but I loved it. I wanted to go with Graves, but it was a bit to expensive for me at the time with everything else I was buying.

Looking at going with Graves for my MT07. But the exhaust you have looks good also.

Not sure what it is, but ive never been a fan of akrapovic.

My only issue with going with yamaha parts is the price, I ws looking at the chain adjuster/spools and they are $200+ for the pair. So I will probably just end up grabbing the womet tech rear spool/sliders.

But I will check out the Yamaha wind screens

Thanks for the help brotha!

Wow, just got my insurance squared away. $116 a month 🤑

Insurance plus my monthly payment are still cheaper than just the bike payment for my 18 R1

So much more money to spend on mods 😈 my gf is going to hate it

"my gf is going to hate it"

Several choices here.

Get a new girlfriend.

Get your girlfriend to get a bike as well( Be prepared to be outridden. It may damage your ego ...or make you like her even more...your choice).

Get a new girlfriend WITH a bike already ( good option. See previous choice as it will be even more likely). This one is also more likely to get you motorcycle stuff for presents.

Buy a Harley ( For some spectacularly unfathomable reason , a large number of women like the things).

Sell your bike ( just giving choices . not my recommendation).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

4 minutes ago, gregjet said:

"my gf is going to hate it"

Several choices here.

Get a new girlfriend.

Get your girlfriend to get a bike as well( Be prepared to be outridden. It may damage your ego ...or make you like her even more...your choice).

Get a new girlfriend WITH a bike already ( good option. See previous choice as it will be even more likely). This one is also more likely to get you motorcycle stuff for presents.

Buy a Harley ( For some spectacularly unfathomable reason , a large number of women like the things).

Sell your bike ( just giving choices . not my recommendation).

lol. she took the safety class with me and a few of our friends, so she has her M1

been together over 13years, i dont think she is going anywhere

id never buy a hardly ableson

We were looking at getting her a Bolt, cause she can flat foot it.

The MT07 isnt too bad for her though, she can tippy toe it in boots.

So when I get another R1 she can ride the MT07

We bought a house 2 years ago and have been dumping most of our money into that, besides all the things I was buying for my R1.

She was stoked when I told her the exhaust for the MT07 was gonna be half of what I paid for my R1. But that was when I was looking at the M4 👺 She doesnt know Im gonna be getting that Graves system yet.

There is a lowering/raising linkage available for the 07 ( extreme creations) which can lower the rear 25 and 35mm for her. Unless she is very shortlegged that will get most people on the ground, though you will usually need to shorten  the sidestay. Probably other lowering links available by now. If she does get the 07 ( personally I think she will end up with the better bike), please make sure she gets appropiate bars if she is short. Seen too many women on bikes with bars way too wide and forward for them. Not comfortable or good control.

Front can only go down about 15mm through the forks. 60 profile front wheel will get you a bit more.

On the 07, for shorter riders, narrowing the front of the seat helps a lot with standover, rather than attempting to lower it. The edge of the front lifts the inner upper leg a fair bit stock.

Enough 07's around now you should be able to find a second hand exhaust. They don't wear out you know. Seen quite a few akra carbons and yammy issue Akra Ti's for sale. Graves is prob better power-wise, but unless you are tracking it you ain't gonna notice the difference.

17 minutes ago, gregjet said:

There is a lowering/raising linkage available for the 07 ( extreme creations) which can lower the rear 25 and 35mm for her. Unless she is very shortlegged that will get most people on the ground, though you will usually need to shorten  the sidestay. Probably other lowering links available by now. If she does get the 07 ( personally I think she will end up with the better bike), please make sure she gets appropiate bars if she is short. Seen too many women on bikes with bars way too wide and forward for them. Not comfortable or good control.

Front can only go down about 15mm through the forks. 60 profile front wheel will get you a bit more.

On the 07, for shorter riders, narrowing the front of the seat helps a lot with standover, rather than attempting to lower it. The edge of the front lifts the inner upper leg a fair bit stock.

Enough 07's around now you should be able to find a second hand exhaust. They don't wear out you know. Seen quite a few akra carbons and yammy issue Akra Ti's for sale. Graves is prob better power-wise, but unless you are tracking it you ain't gonna notice the difference.

thanks for the info. but this bike is already almost too small for me. she doesnt ride enough for me to want to modify the bike, because then when i need to ride it i will really be a friggen grizzly bear on a tricycle.

if she becomes a weekend warrior we will get her a Bolt. but she doesnt seem too interested in riding.

im not too big on used stuff, never really know how anyone treated it.

id like to buy a new exhaust this weekend, ive got a few requests for quotes out, just waiting on responses.

"If she becomes a weekend warrior we will get her a Bolt. but she doesnt seem too interested in riding."

Well you have been around her to probably know her ...but...I have seen it before. Give the right girl her own bike and things can change.

Of course she might be the "bolt" type anyway. and prefer that style.

A woman that rides a motorcycle is a thing of joy.

@gregjet "A woman that rides a motorcycle is a thing of joy". Well put, couldn't agree more. 🍻

Have you tried the search bar? Lot's of advice already on here.

Beemer

I just did the cyclops led head light cause I ride at night and led parking lights.   They look great and was only 70$. Also did the r6 throttle tube.  That had to be the best 10$ I’ve ever spent.   I also stiffened the prelims and it feels a lot better.  

if you're going to make it a build thread, probably rename it so it's obvious it's about you and your bike and have the mods move it to the correct section. But welcome nonetheless. :)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Jonnyaust, check the low beam pattern. Most ( not all) LED headlight do not have the legal cutoff pattern. I suspect that the new Cyclops ones are OK though. Is it the new whole headlight assembly or just a bulb replacement?

The site video shows a left hand drive biased low beam patterm. If you are in a right hand drive place , the low beam may draw the ire of oncoming drivers. Cutoff is pretty good but bias is wrong.

• 3 months later...

ive done several things to the bike over the last few weeks. ill make a thread and post some pics in the morning. i was super busy with work and never had a chance to post, but i tweaked my knee so i took a few days off.

• 2 months later...

My insurance is only $75 per year with Progressive.  It's liability only.  I avoid congested areas so my biggest fear are deer and other animals.

• Premium Member
On 7/25/2018 at 8:54 AM, Carne Seca said:

My only issue with going with yamaha parts is the price, I ws looking at the chain adjuster/spools and they are $200+ for the pair. So I will probably just end up grabbing the womet tech rear spool/sliders.

You can save some money on that part here and you get an extra color option. Part is not in stock as of now, but if you email  info@bellissimoto.com he might be able to give you a lead time and a coupon code if you tell him your from the forum. I emailed and he told me I could still order the part and he would send it to me as fast as he could, I didn't really ask about the time frame. I think it is by far the most elegant, functional, and bling option. 

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/drivetrain/chain-adjusters/gilles-tooling-axb-chain-adjuster-for-the-yamaha-fz-07-mt-07-and-xsr700?v=1.6

Archived