The MT-07 Forum

Got to have mods on a new bike

Jonnyaust

So I just bought a brand new 18 mt07. This is my first bike and I love it.  I put about 300 miles on it. I’m just wondering what mods people recommend as a need for the bike. I got the Cyclops led light and led parking lights cause I ride at night in ct and there aren’t street lamps.   Also bought an r6 throttle tube cause it was only 10$ and heard so many good things about it. Defiantly need a new seat cause it sucks and I’m heavy. Anything else people recommend ?   Nothing really power wise I have my car for fast driving. just things to make it more enjoyable to ride.

another question is cleaning the bike since I have matte paint and no prior motorcycle washing techniques.56CE2C5E-8DEA-4AF6-B622-56DA98AC5E47.thumb.jpeg.1176a4b4e6150438d2c13b51ff10fc54.jpeg

FZ07R WaNaB

This will keep you busy for awhile

2WDW Flash

MWR air filter

Bitubo XZE11 shock

Sonic Springs/heavier oil (works well, and is only $100 if you do it yourself)

EBC HH front pads

Evotech radiator guard

Shogun frame sliders

OES axle sliders

Mad Hornets levers

Dart Manta windscreen (best looking and functional IMHO)

Barkbuster Storm hand guards

Mirror extenders (must have if you are keeping your original mirrors)

Blindspot mirrors (must have if you are keeping your original mirrors)

Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn (awesome for the money)

Notice that I have not included an exhaust. I'm not into that as I prefer stealth mode, but all my research says that Yoshi is the way to go if you must add one - do the research yourself. Also, no tail tidy for me as it doesn't play nice if you use the Yamaha saddle bags which are great.

• Premium Member

Put some more miles on it and decide for yourself what you'd "need" to change.

my top 5 in no particular order were:

2WDW

Bitubo suspension upgrade front & rear

Corbin Seat

CRG arrow mirrors

Akra Ti exhaust.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thank you guys for the quick response.  I think I’ll defiantly need a seat soon cause my rides to work are 45 min and my butt kills after  and bar end mirrors

If no interest in chasing added performance, as previously noted.

If for commuting, yes bar end mirrors was my 1st mod, as all I could see was my shoulders.

2WDW ECU Re-Flash  would be 2nd - smooths out the throttle choppiness

Suspension  could be 3rd - pending weight and style of riding. Lots of options, but stiffer springs, heavier oil and added preload adjusters is a good start point.

superbikecoach_trackday_workshop_2018june10_362.thumb.jpg.51f98edebf824eea44dbbbd25379078d.jpg

Liquidmetal

Fender eliminator kit.

Windscreen if so inclined.

Good bike stand for doing maintenance, washing, and the like.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I’m not against performance just want to wait until I’m more familiar with the bike  before I do exhaust and intake with a tune. And most of my riding is to work and back road twisties. No plan on tracking yet but I’ll look into suspension over winter 

• Premium Member

suspension should be a worthy 1st mod... basic ktech rear and some heavier springs/oil in the forks seem to do wonders for majority of users...

stock seat is a torture device to some but a pair of padded bicycle shorts from a bicycle store do wonders..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Everyone's needs are going to be different, depending on their height, weight, inseam, where they ride, how they ride. If I understood you correctly you are interested in NEEDS, not LIKES for this or that because it looks cool, etc. 

Like DewMan said, ride your bike for awhile and you'll know better than anyone what your needs are. 

My real needs were about comfort and safety, they were:

A louder pipe that I thought would help get me noticed more and it has. (Akra carbon fiber)

A 10k cyclops headlight that gets attention quicker.

New seat for longer comfort, done locally at an upholstery shop.

A new horn that gets attention better, way better than that wimpy, meep-meep of an excuse for a horn!

I have arthritis so a throttle lock was a need, maybe the best thing done to my bike, 'comfort wise'.

I also like the Grip Puppies for much needed hand comfort, they've helped quite a bit. You don't have to squeeze as hard to grip them, they are softer than anything else I've tried and they cut down on any vibration that may reach them.

Shorty levers have helped with my arthritis also. 

Last but not least, my CRG Lane Splitter mirrors. I feel so much safe with them because they're convex and almost completely eliminate the blind spots and I can see what's going on in other lanes at a glance. They aren't cheap but as they say, you get what you pay for. 

Some people needed new suspension whereas I didn't so is it a need for you?

Again, my needs, not yours.

Side note: people say those bright wheels are hard to keep clean and many say that WD-40 works well. That may be a need you normally wouldn't think of.

Beemer

Liquidmetal
48 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I also like the Grip Puppies for much needed hand comfort, they've helped quite a bit. You don't have to squeeze as hard to grip them, they are softer than anything else I've tried and they cut down on any vibration that may reach them.

Been thinking about adding those to my FZ as well.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

4 minutes ago, Liquidmetal said:

Been thinking about adding those to my FZ as well.

For the price, why not? 

Beemer

topazsparrow
17 hours ago, DewMan said:

Put some more miles on it and decide for yourself what you'd "need" to change.

my top 5 in no particular order were:

2WDW

Bitubo suspension upgrade front & rear

Corbin Seat

CRG arrow mirrors

Akra Ti exhaust.

There are better options than Bitubo for the front. I bought the JBH's and I'm really not impressed at all. There's a couple threads on it already.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

There are better options than Bitubo for the front. I bought the JBH's and I'm really not impressed at all. There's a couple threads on it already.

I'm aware of your feelings on the Bitubo JBHs. As for me, I'm more than happy with them. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I worked up a seat pad which made mine comfy; mirror extenders vital (also make sure the extension arms are straight across the bike and not swept back). Evotech rad guard definitely; and sliders to protect your baby. I have ordered grip puppies for my Rebel and added them for the MT (vibes not a prob really with my MT, though).

Just do it! 

Lots of suggestions noted so far.  Based on your intro here's what I would suggest:

2WDW ecu flash.  

Suspension if in your budget

Radiator guard.  cheap insurance

If your commute is mostly highway, then a windscreen.  I have the Dart Manta and think it is very good.

CT = cold hands when wet, so heated grips.  I know guys here in Hawaii that swear by them for comfort when riding in the rain.  I've had a few times where I thought that I could have used them as well.

Exhaust?  I didn't really care about having a louder exhaust, until a truck halfway pulled out on me.  It was a curvy road and I wasn't riding fast.  The truck had it's windows down, but I could tell that they never heard/saw me coming, so I promptly ordered an exhaust.  Nothing too loud, but perhaps just enough to let blind corners know that something is coming.  That's the hope anyway.

After that it's just comfort items really. Ride as much as you can and you'll soon find itches to scratch. 

Lots of good options guys thank you. The bike is away for the next few weeks lots of rain this week and next then also having a company make a tail tidy and blinkers for the mt07. Think the next thing im goin to buy is shorty adjustable levers and probobly a flash tune  because everyone recommends it.  The mod bug got me again after finishing my 600whp st 

5FBBB83D-0770-47E2-82D4-9DA47234BB91.jpeg

I cant tell you what mods you would like on the bike, however I currently have an Akra Ti, 2WDW flash tune, and fender eliminator on my 18 MT07. As far as washing the matte paint scheme goes, I've really ever only rinsed mine off with a pressure washer and dried it with microfiber towels and that seems to keep it pretty clean. The front wheel is pretty easy to clean and keep clean, but the rear can be a pain due to the chain flinging stuff on there. I've had good luck just spraying a little Dupont chain saver on a microfiber towel and wiping the crud off about every week or so when I wash the bike. 

10 hours ago, Jonnyaust said:

Lots of good options guys thank you. The bike is away for the next few weeks lots of rain this week and next then also having a company make a tail tidy and blinkers for the mt07. Think the next thing im goin to buy is shorty adjustable levers and probobly a flash tune  because everyone recommends it.  The mod bug got me again after finishing my 600whp st 

5FBBB83D-0770-47E2-82D4-9DA47234BB91.jpeg

Video of you roasting the tires or it never happened. Just kidding but it actually would be nice to hear/see it running down the road. I mean to say to show us what it's got, show it off with the hammer down. If you can't, oh well, nice looking car!

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Video of you roasting the tires or it never happened. Just kidding but it actually would be nice to hear/see it running down the road. I mean to say to show us what it's got, show it off with the hammer down. If you can't, oh well, nice looking car!

@jonnyaust is my Instagram name there’s a few vids on there on low boost 500whp. And dyno runs and sheets there also might be some stuff on my tuners YouTube page 

Archived