The MT-07 Forum

New m4 full system

derekfz

Not knocking the pipe, just the company. I like the looks, all blacked out with ceramic coating (+) but why extra $$ for a db killer. I got my Akra carbon fiber for a hair more than that and it came with a db killer. 

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Not knocking the pipe, just the company. I like the looks, all blacked out with ceramic coating (+) but why extra $$ for a db killer. I got my Akra carbon fiber for a hair more than that and it came with a db killer. 

Beemer - I think they are saying they have an additional insert. It comes with a stage 1 DB killer but they offer a stage 2 that reduces sound even more, similar with the current slip on version. 

3 hours ago, alexlj92 said:

Beemer - I think they are saying they have an additional insert. It comes with a stage 1 DB killer but they offer a stage 2 that reduces sound even more, similar with the current slip on version. 

Nevermind Beemer you are correct. I contacted them and they said it doe snot include one and the stage 2 is the only one that fits.

17 hours ago, alexlj92 said:

Nevermind Beemer you are correct. I contacted them and they said it doe snot include one and the stage 2 is the only one that fits.

They should be more careful with their wording, I re-read that after you pointed it out and it could be taken either way. Withholding it is just their sales strategy to get more money and I think it sucks. Who would like it if they went to buy Raisin Bran Cereal and found out they now have to buy the raisins separately? I wouldn't buy it either.

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

@scratchpad

On 7/24/2018 at 8:16 AM, scratchpad said:

Finally they make a true full system. Great pricepoint too. Looks nice.

What are advantages over the slip on? Only asking cause would love to know from experienced riders how they differ, full system vs slip-on? Thanks in advance!

On 7/24/2018 at 9:36 AM, chademinent said:

I've got the slip on, love how it sounds.  Would like to hear the full system and also to see if you can add just the headers to the slip on.

I'm looking to do the same, install the M4 slip on exhaust. Haven't placed the purchase yet....Do you have any tips, recommendations...how was your experience during installation phase? Is DIY simple enough. oppose to having experienced mechanic do the cutting or installation?

I came across this link with set of instructions. Based on the instructions it looks simple, or there are hidden steps to consider?

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/product_images/product_pdf/M4-Yamaha-FZ-07-Exhaust-YA6714-installation-instructions.pdf

The slip on is pretty straight forward. You should be able to easily do it yourself. There are some youtube videos that detail the install as well. 

As to the difference. I assume they may sound slightly different, but ultimately the only few differences other than that are the full system wont have the joint like the slip on does where it meets the stock headers, and will have a different can on the end that accepts different decibel silencers.

23 hours ago, chademinent said:

@joomla, @alexlj92 is right.  straight forward install. If you are comfortable using a cutoff wheel or sawsall then you should have no issue installing it.

Great new!

BTW...

Any other slip-ons to consider?

I didn't see akrapovic or other brands with slip ons for fz07?

Leo Vannucci

I just installed the slip-on last week, and it's truly the best mod I've done so far, what a sound! I tried it with the db killer on and it sounded good, sort of like the Akrapovic sound you hear on bikes that come with Akra's stock (BMW, KTM), which is a low growl but not a high volume and sort of a "rattling" sound. I took the db killer off and it became a BEAST, sounds louder than a Harley and the sound is buttery smooth, specially in the 3k rpm range. According to many of my friends, the sound sounds exactly like an American V8.

Installation was a breeze and fun. I had a friend help me cut and grind  the headers (I didn't have the tool) and the rest was very easy. You do need to tight the bolts on those clamps that join the headers with the slip-on very tight to avoid a leak, I tightened them so much that I stripped both the screws, lol. 

The look is amazing, and that carbon fiber feels very well made. The only thing that didn't look so good at first was the color difference between the slip-on's mid pipe vs the headers (which are sort of dark bronze due to the heat cycles). These pictures were taken the day I installed it. Now after a week, the color is the same throughout, you can't tell it's a slip-on, it's amazing how the heat cycles will do the work.

I also have a DNA air filter and airbox lid, and a Power Commander FC, I reccomend installing all of that togehter with the slip-on, in order to get a performance increase as well as the great sound, and get a proper fuel mix too. 

My thoughts regarding the slip-on vs the full system are that personally, I'll go all the way with the slip-on, hands down. For one thing, I hate it when pipes are painted black, remember it's a part of the bike that will be in contact face forward with the elements and dirt/rocks while riding, which will translate into having that paint chipped in a very short time. I doubt there's a performance difference between the stock headers and the ones they have, a friend installed the full system from M4 with me that same day on mis FZ07 and we compared my stock pipes with his, and they were exactly the same. We both agreed that the can on the slip-on looks 10 times better than the one on the full system which kind of looks like one of those "fake" cans they sell on wish.com lol.

Here are some pics.

IMG_7759.JPG

IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

On 8/21/2018 at 6:59 AM, joomla said:

@scratchpad

What are advantages over the slip on? Only asking cause would love to know from experienced riders how they differ, full system vs slip-on? Thanks in advance!

Less connections, welds are probably much nicer and not interfering with the smoothness of the interior pipe walls, stepped design.

On 8/21/2018 at 7:07 AM, joomla said:

I'm looking to do the same, install the M4 slip on exhaust. Haven't placed the purchase yet....Do you have any tips, recommendations...how was your experience during installation phase? Is DIY simple enough. oppose to having experienced mechanic do the cutting or installation?

I came across this link with set of instructions. Based on the instructions it looks simple, or there are hidden steps to consider?

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/product_images/product_pdf/M4-Yamaha-FZ-07-Exhaust-YA6714-installation-instructions.pdf

I have a used M4 for sale in the classifieds here if you're interested. 

also, a DB killer is the way to go IMO. Had one on my old Graves system. It was still plenty loud and throaty and an additional 2 ft lbs of torque as proven on the dyno. 

17 hours ago, scratchpad said:

I have a used M4 for sale in the classifieds here if you're interested. 

Seeet! Which classified ads are you referring to? I wouldn’t mind having a look there myself. I live inToronto , Canada so I hope shipment not an issue or they have affiliated Canadian facilities ? 

17 hours ago, scratchpad said:

also, a DB killer is the way to go IMO. Had one on my old Graves system. It was still plenty loud and throaty and an additional 2 ft lbs of torque as proven on the dyno. 

So DB killer out is what your saying or in? 

47 minutes ago, joomla said:

Seeet! Which classified ads are you referring to? I wouldn’t mind having a look there myself. I live inToronto , Canada so I hope shipment not an issue or they have affiliated Canadian facilities ? 

It was in the classifieds here but the post has vanished. Ill take some pictures and repost later today.

59 minutes ago, scratchpad said:

It was in the classifieds here but the post has vanished. Ill take some pictures and repost later today.

Sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great post. I just bought a 2018 MT07 and I am looking to install a M4 slip on.  Do I need a PC?   I had a chat with the folks at Dynojet and they told me that the PCFC is not available on the 2018, so that leaves me with installing the PC5 which is a lot more than I need. I am a MAC user and none of the maps are available for MAC.  Any input on running the bike without a PC?

Thanks

Archived