The good show

Releasing Cam chain tensioner

The good show

The manual mentions a hex tool used to compress/release the cam chain tensioner but, for the life of me, I can't find one online. I've tried various hex sockets sizes and none seem to fit. 

Has anyone had any experience with this or know an alternative way to adjust the tensioner?

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 11.16.03.png

DewMan

Have you tried half sizes like 4.5mm and 5.5mm? they're not as common in a set but used enough that they could be the size you need.

If it's actually a long hex shaft You could use an Allen wrench of the correct size I would think?

If that's the case I would find a Hex wrench of the correct size and cut it to length so you could use a socket on the protruding end.

There are Hex sockets that have longer shafts that could possibly work as well.

That being said I've not had to work on my timing chain yet so this is all just guess work.

Good luck finding a solution. Let us know how it goes. 👍

Edited by DewMan

rick

This is from the FZ09 forum, but page down to post #8  https://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/8274-cam-chain-rattling-like-maraca.html

Yeah, it looks like a hex wrench.

On page 5-22 of the manual, there's more description, but it's just as confusing. Looks like the 1st wrench to hold the tensioner is generic, but maybe the 2nd as DewMan suggested is an odd size - maybe smaller and fits inside the 1st hex. 

That part number, btw sorta partially pops up in the cam diagrams - https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/58a22b9e87a866120cd9f126/camshaft-chain 

What's really not clear to me is that there's a spring, but it's adjusted manually up reinstall. 

In my universe, if I can't find one to fit, I'll sacrifice a key that's one size big and carefully grind it down until it does. 

Edited by rick

DewMan
4 hours ago, rick said:

In my universe, if I can't find one to fit, I'll sacrifice a key that's one size big and carefully grind it down until it does. 

Been there, Done that, on more than just Hex keys. I've used a grinder on sockets, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers etc if that's what it took to get the job done. Saved lots of $$ on "specialty" tools this way over the years. 👍😀

callmepro

If it is a standard size then it looks like it's a 3.5 (assuming it's metric).

Edited by callmepro

rick

You can very much assume it's metric - whatever the factory spec was to force us to the dealer. 

But if it's really 3.5mm, that translates to 2.2/16". Try a 1/8" hex key. It might fit with just wee bit of slop. 

MT27

At what mileage do the acct fail?

rick

The Fz09 tensioner had issues Early on and has been redesigned. 

. That's not been the case with the 07. They look similar in design - at least externally, but there really hasn't been much conversation about the FZ7's tensioner causing/allowing cam chain rattle. 

If it's not making noises, leave it be. It's not gonna all of a sudden "fail"

• Like 1

The good show

ok, so it ended up being a 3mm hex. My cct hasn't actually failed - I just need to release tension on the cam chain so I can easily remove it. thanks for all the tips!

rick

So what the heck is the inference between the #1 and #2 wrenches in the manual.

Are you replacing valve shims? 

The good show
2 minutes ago, rick said:

So what the heck is the inference between the #1 and #2 wrenches in the manual.

Are you replacing valve shims? 

honestly, it's baffling. There's a small, threaded bolt that you remove to get to the adjuster but that's it. unless hex 1 comes installed in a brand new cct?

rick

I believe the outer bolt is just a cap/cover over the hole. 

I'm guessing that turning the internal hex wrench holds the tensioner back, taking pressure off of the chain as you unbolt the thing from the case. 

I've not been impressed by the service manual. Details like this procedure could easily be way better.  Engineers sometimes do not make the best technical writers. And sometimes technical writers need more practical experience. I once had an electrical engineering student work part time in my lab. He knew lots of theory, but had never actually seen the inside of an electrical motor, before I pulled one apart to replace the carbon brushes. 

I guess we get what we pay for - the manual was pretty cheap, and sure way better than nothing. 

norcal616

Probably a JIS sized hex key will fit... Japan loves JIS 😒 sized bolts,nuts...