The MT-07 Forum

Hydraulic clutch conversion

derekfz

Hello I just wanted to share my successful attempt to install a hydraulic clutch in my bike! Here’s pictures. I still have a giant box of new parts to get my bike back together. But if all goes well next week the only thing that will even have a scratch on it from my crash will be my exhaust (which I am replacing too!)0CC80423-8550-436B-A87F-B4952089B83D.thumb.jpeg.ec4a29aef8a04b195d912441689d0d97.jpeg7FFEDBBA-262C-46F1-880F-6E6E56E8D4E8.thumb.jpeg.58a50701550e8254f7508d952a94bb02.jpeg80C292F3-7F45-4D06-A2A4-D4D36026FD57.thumb.jpeg.0d0b324ef4b3c966e4be8653613ec2e9.jpeg

Liquidmetal

That looks very good, nice clean install.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

• Global Moderator

@derekfz, was that a kit or did you put it all together yourself?  If it was a kit can you post a link?  Thanks. 

5 hours ago, derekfz said:

Hello I just wanted to share my successful attempt to install a hydraulic clutch in my bike! Here’s pictures. I still have a giant box of new parts to get my bike back together. But if all goes well next week the only thing that will even have a scratch on it from my crash will be my exhaust (which I am replacing too!)0CC80423-8550-436B-A87F-B4952089B83D.thumb.jpeg.ec4a29aef8a04b195d912441689d0d97.jpeg7FFEDBBA-262C-46F1-880F-6E6E56E8D4E8.thumb.jpeg.58a50701550e8254f7508d952a94bb02.jpeg80C292F3-7F45-4D06-A2A4-D4D36026FD57.thumb.jpeg.0d0b324ef4b3c966e4be8653613ec2e9.jpeg

Are you gonna be able to write up a tech tip? A brag thread is ok too, 😉but a tech tip could help a lot of others to follow suit. 

Great to see you doing this. 

Ok so how I did it. I ordered levers such as these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-7-8-22mm-Motorcycle-Hydraulic-Handlebar-Brake-Cylinder-Master-Clutch-Lever/183181389246?hash=item2aa6762dbe%3Ag%3A9iwAAOSwbF1aMyuc&_sacat=0&_nkw=motorcycle+hydraulic+clutch+&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

Then I just measured the clutch cable length from end to end, which was about 80-90 cm 33ish inches or so, and looking up hydraulic brake lines: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-39-200cm-Motorcycle-Brake-Hose-Oil-Pipe-Line-Braided-Fitting-Ends-US/302742352667?hash=item467cd9b31b%3Am%3AmOcmqleouGUoxLc7pue91wQ&var=601612091296&_sacat=0&_nkw=motorcycle+brake+line&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmotorcycle+brake+line.TRS0

I ordered a 90cm line which fit perfectly following the routing of the original clutch cable.

So then I ordered a slave cylinder. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-modified-hydraulic-clutch-pull-clutch-slave-cylinder-Efficient-pump/173410241758?hash=item28600e4cde%3Ag%3ARH0AAOSwA-1a9B51&_nkw=motorcycle+hydraulic+clutch+slave+cylinder&rt=nc

I went with fairly cheap parts but quality parts can be bought if wanted. works fine now filled with dot 4 fluid and may need to modify the wiring  for the clutch safety switch on the lever depending on what levers you buy. I had to change mine. brake side plugs right in.

*another thing to mention is the slave cylinder doesn't need bleeding/have a bleed port on it. just fill with fluid and keep pumping and the air will workout itself*

16 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the advantage of the hydraulics?

there isn't much of advantage maybe just less lubing and cable breaking over time. maybe more reliable? I haven't had it on there long enough to see how itll hold up yet. but I just think it looks cooler and is smoother too.

Are there any inherent problems with hydraulic systems that people should know about before attempting this their selves? 

Beemer

9 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Are there any inherent problems with hydraulic systems that people should know about before attempting this their selves? 

Not that I know of. Ill post an update once I can ride more.

• Premium Member

Nice work!

If you get the slave and mc diameters correct it should be a lighter pull.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

There are always compromises.  Show me a system with no faults....

While on a race car, I converted to a hydraulic clutch and the pedal effort was lighter and smoother.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, blackout said:

There are always compromises.  Show me a system with no faults....

While on a race car, I converted to a hydraulic clutch and the pedal effort was lighter and smoother.

Understood that any system can have it's share of problems, I'm not trying to knock the system or degrade anyone that uses it. I've heard good things about hydraulic systems myself but my point is people should be informed of the pros AND the cons so they can make their own informed decision. ✌️

Beemer

On 7/19/2018 at 9:32 AM, MT27 said:

Give me a cable any day. If the MT had a hydraulic clutch I would have bought the SV650 instead.

If the bike had cable brakes we would point and laugh and Yamaha wouldn't sell any. Hydraulic clutches can be just as reliable as hydraulic brakes,  provided the parts are of equal quality. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A cable setup is much lighter than a hydraulic line filled with fluid + cylinders on each end. 

I LOVE the Magura hydro conversion I put on my XR400. Those bikes are known for stiff clutches and riding technical single track equates to hours of constant clutch modulation. After converting that clutch to hydraulic I swore I'd never own a bike without a Magura hymec again. Then I bought the FZ and the clutch pull was so light that it wasn't needed. Yamaha did a fantastic job with the stock lever ratios. I hydro clutch may be a good idea if shorty levers are needed. 

I've had several clutch cables snap on me, and it's always unexpected. I've never had a hydraulic system fail on me, but when they do need maintenance they give you little clues first. Also, a hydro clutch can be 100% maintenance free. Magura uses a mineral oil for their fluid and it does not absorb water. The systems come filled and bled and, as long as you never open the line, they are filled for life. Cables require periodic lubing which dictates that they also need periodic cleaning and re-lubing. Just food for thought. 

3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Shiny I don't understand why you quoted my post. I did not say anything about a hydraulic activated clutches reliability or cable actuated brakes.

You're right, you didn't mention reliability, weight, maintenance or anything else. I don't know why you prefer cable over hydraulic ( I don't have a preference), but in the interest of sharing information I just pointed out some common misunderstandings related to cable vs hydraulic. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, MT27 said:

Give me a cable any day. If the MT had a hydraulic clutch I would have bought the SV650 instead.

What you said is very provocative and you grabbed some attention, it sounds as though you have some experience with hydraulics and strongly despise them but you didn't say why you despise them. If you had a/some bad experiences with them please share what you know. 😉 This site is all about sharing info, good or bad. Thanks!

Beemer

I like the feel of a cable clutch better. I never had a cable fail.
Hydraulic costs more. Hydraulic is more complex. I have only had 3 hydraulic clutch bikes. One had the slave cylinder replaced 2x under warranty.
If Hydraulic is better why isnt it on BMW's S1000RR , Ducati's V4 or Aprillias RSV4? 
Everyone will have different experience and preference. 

Had a guy show up for a Sunday morning ride on a 8 yr old Yam Venture touring bike. He said his clutch felt funny. He squeezed his clutch a few times. 5th or 6th squeeze the  sight glass shot out of the master cylinder.

22 hours ago, shinyribs said:

If the bike had cable brakes we would point and laugh and Yamaha wouldn't sell any. Hydraulic clutches can be just as reliable as hydraulic brakes,  provided the parts are of equal quality. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A cable setup is much lighter than a hydraulic line filled with fluid + cylinders on each end. 

I LOVE the Magura hydro conversion I put on my XR400. Those bikes are known for stiff clutches and riding technical single track equates to hours of constant clutch modulation. After converting that clutch to hydraulic I swore I'd never own a bike without a Magura hymec again. Then I bought the FZ and the clutch pull was so light that it wasn't needed. Yamaha did a fantastic job with the stock lever ratios. I hydro clutch may be a good idea if shorty levers are needed. 

I've had several clutch cables snap on me, and it's always unexpected. I've never had a hydraulic system fail on me, but when they do need maintenance they give you little clues first. Also, a hydro clutch can be 100% maintenance free. Magura uses a mineral oil for their fluid and it does not absorb water. The systems come filled and bled and, as long as you never open the line, they are filled for life. Cables require periodic lubing which dictates that they also need periodic cleaning and re-lubing. Just food for thought. 

Thanks for the input on that hydraulic system, the Magura, it sounds like a good one. If I were to go hydraulic I would get that one. After reading about hydraulic systems it appears that it only takes a cheap, pressure release valve to stick and instantly send the pressure skyrocketing (comparable to a cable snapping) so maybe it's not hydraulics systems that are bad but just particular ones that aren't made with quality parts or maybe aren't cared for with good, periodic maintenance. Yes, that can be said for any system. 

Beemer

3 hours ago, MT27 said:

I like the feel of a cable clutch better. I never had a cable fail.
Hydraulic costs more. Hydraulic is more complex. I have only had 3 hydraulic clutch bikes. One had the slave cylinder replaced 2x under warranty.
If Hydraulic is better why isnt it on BMW's S1000RR , Ducati's V4 or Aprillias RSV4? 
Everyone will have different experience and preference. 

Had a guy show up for a Sunday morning ride on a 8 yr old Yam Venture touring bike. He said his clutch felt funny. He squeezed his clutch a few times. 5th or 6th squeeze the  sight glass shot out of the master cylinder.

Master cylinders with sight glasses piss me off, primarily because no one uses actual glass anymore. That's one thing I dread when my FZ starts getting old...

3 hours ago, Beemer said:

Thanks for the input on that hydraulic system, the Magura, it sounds like a good one. If I were to go hydraulic I would get that one. After reading about hydraulic systems it appears that it only takes a cheap, pressure release valve to stick and instantly send the pressure skyrocketing (comparable to a cable snapping) so maybe it's not hydraulics systems that are bad but just particular ones that aren't made with quality parts or maybe aren't cared for with good, periodic maintenance. Yes, that can be said for any system. 

I'm a big fan of Magura's hymec ( hydraulic to mechanical) clutch kit. I prefer them over OEM hydro clutches. The slave on oem setups is always overly complicated and engine specific. The hymec just replaces the cable and uses the standard clutch lever arm, which preserves lever feel. 

So I guess I'm not that different from MT27 in that I'd prefer a stock cable bike to retrofit a hymec on vs a OEM slave integrated in to the cases. The integrated reservoirs are nice, too. 

Archived