The MT-07 Forum

Hydraulic clutch conversion

derekfz

My Aprilia has a hydraulic clutch. No one would call it a light pull and I've replaced the  OE slave  cylinder w/ an aftermarket one to get a lighter pull. It's still a good workout in traffic. 

That said, the pull is very smooth and feel overall is much better than the FZ's. Whether that's the cable or overall design is hard to know. 

But it seek out a new Triumph Bonneville. The clutch is lighter than the FZ's and smooth like my Aprilia's. It's cable operated. 

Clutch pumps are are not cheap. It would de best to choose one that replacement seals are available. But with a $10 slave cylinder ( the billet aftermarket slave on my Futura was 15x that) , if it were to leak, may as well throw away and buy new. As both pistons must travel a bit, they are subject to wear with use. 

As with brakes, the fluid should be replaced every 2 years. More often if you ride in the rain a lot. 

Nice job, btw 👍

I'm skeptical of any talk about "relief valves" in a hydraulic clutch where the pressure is inherently very limited by the clutch springs. Of course there are closed hydraulic systems where max pressure can grow to the highest limit of the weakest component. With a hydraulic clutch though, you're just moving a piston back and forth against a set of springs (unless the stroke of the slave piston exceeds the range of motion in the clutch - that could be bad).

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

Or the slave doesn't travel far enough resulting in poor shift quality. 

As a long as the bits are matched properly, there's no need for a relief valve. 

8 hours ago, rick said:

Or the slave doesn't travel far enough resulting in poor shift quality. 

As a long as the bits are matched properly, there's no need for a relief valve. 

Exactly right. If a system is requiring a relief valve I feel like that's a bandaid to compensate for lack of engineering. 

I converted a SOCH CB750 to hydraulic ( Canondale dirtbike setup) and even in my inexperience was able to sort out proper piston travel to prevent "crashing".

1265860545_SANY0371(2).JPG.a8338b1469e3a239ea760674443a4e5a.JPG

271576864_hydroclutchon.jpg.fa1f91b9244c2658fc36870262995e1e.jpg

• 1 month later...
andrewcox945
On 7/19/2018 at 7:14 AM, derekfz said:

Ok so how I did it. I ordered levers such as these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-7-8-22mm-Motorcycle-Hydraulic-Handlebar-Brake-Cylinder-Master-Clutch-Lever/183181389246?hash=item2aa6762dbe%3Ag%3A9iwAAOSwbF1aMyuc&_sacat=0&_nkw=motorcycle+hydraulic+clutch+&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

Then I just measured the clutch cable length from end to end, which was about 80-90 cm 33ish inches or so, and looking up hydraulic brake lines: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-39-200cm-Motorcycle-Brake-Hose-Oil-Pipe-Line-Braided-Fitting-Ends-US/302742352667?hash=item467cd9b31b%3Am%3AmOcmqleouGUoxLc7pue91wQ&var=601612091296&_sacat=0&_nkw=motorcycle+brake+line&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmotorcycle+brake+line.TRS0

I ordered a 90cm line which fit perfectly following the routing of the original clutch cable.

So then I ordered a slave cylinder. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-modified-hydraulic-clutch-pull-clutch-slave-cylinder-Efficient-pump/173410241758?hash=item28600e4cde%3Ag%3ARH0AAOSwA-1a9B51&_nkw=motorcycle+hydraulic+clutch+slave+cylinder&rt=nc

I went with fairly cheap parts but quality parts can be bought if wanted. works fine now filled with dot 4 fluid and may need to modify the wiring  for the clutch safety switch on the lever depending on what levers you buy. I had to change mine. brake side plugs right in.

*another thing to mention is the slave cylinder doesn't need bleeding/have a bleed port on it. just fill with fluid and keep pumping and the air will workout itself*

What did you have to do to the wiring for the clutch safety switch?

4 minutes ago, andrewcox945 said:

What did you have to do to the wiring for the clutch safety switch?

I had to cut the original connector off and crimp two female spade 

andrewcox945
2 hours ago, derekfz said:

I had to cut the original connector off and crimp two female spade 

Oh so nothing crazy then

Very neat! I love hydra clutches ( should put a post on the Hyosung board. Their clutch cables have a life of about 18months). Hard to justify doing it on the 07 for the street but for a track bike definitely worth it.

BTW if your hydra clutch is too stiff or to easy ( ie no feel), you can change the hydraulic "lever" ratio by changing the master or slave piston sizes.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 10:27 PM, andrewcox945 said:

Oh so nothing crazy then

I need some help. I've got everything installed and when I was trying to pump the lever to bleed it nothing happened. I pumped it for a good 10 minutes then disconnected the hose from the slave cylinder and pumped it and it was barely dribbling out. Any ideas what could be the problem?

• Global Moderator

Motorcycle Consumer News had an article on the XSR700.  They said it had an hydraulic clutch.  I find that unlikely, but if it does that would be an easy conversion.  Does anyone know?  I have not had time to run to the dealership myself to check. 

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Motorcycle Consumer News had an article on the XSR700.  They said it had an hydraulic clutch.  I find that unlikely, but if it does that would be an easy conversion.  Does anyone know?  I have not had time to run to the dealership myself to check. 

looks to still be cable operated...maybe it has the "slip/assit" type clutch setup found in the FZ/J -09 bikes... if so I will be retrofitting the "clutch basket, hub and plates" from the XSR to my FZ-07 when it hits 20k miles( already got 18k miles)... its been reported to be a worthy mod in the FJ-09 forums, its only $225ish for the parts, lighter clutch pull and smoother downshifts...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Norcal, if you find out for sure post please. I agree that it would be a worthy addition to this bike.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived