The MT-07 Forum

2018 MT 07 Windscreens

ZackP3

I have a love/hate relationship with windsceens. After two years on a Kawasaki 1400 Konnie with an adjustable windscreen that looked like it belonged and provided unparalled quiet and protection anything less just doesn't work for me. Ever since I've used windsceens that work no matter what they look like. Function first form second. What I have always done is  modify and mount so that they can come off quick and easy.

The National Cycle V-Stream touring is what I decided on after first trying the middle height model and realizing it would not do what I wanted. After installing the tall touring version and being certain my obsessive research would be correct a quick test ride showed I was soooooo wrong. The air is lifted off the chest and shoulders but my helmet was getting blasted worse than no windshield at all. I dug out an X-Screen that makes an awful looking monstrosity look even worse, installed it and voila silence. I can comfortably ride with the faceshield up and engine is louder than the wind.

Had to notch the edge to clear the break reservoir because the Woodcraft bars move everything bar mounted forward a bit. Then drilled two holes above the lower two mount bolts which upon pulling a rubber plug allows a t-handle Allen wrench get at them. The top two bolts were replaced with flange head bolts because a ratchet wrench is much easier and faster. 

Looks awful works great (is that a punch line to an old joke) and can be on or off in under 10min.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

• 2 weeks later...

I second the National Cycle V-Stream.  I have had them on both my fj and Tenere.  They really work wonderfully.  Three sizes to choose from and their stuff is quality.  Had a touring size of their previous model on my sv that was also top notch.

These are recently introduced.  Just saw them on their websight yesterday.  Revzilla did not have them listed yet but I bet they could get it for you, save on shipping.

Edited by scotto
Update

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

@slideways, is that the latest touring model from National Cycle?  Or might it be one for the MT09 that you have adapted?  I ask because I've had 2 neck surgurys and am looking for something very tall.  The pictures on their websight don't show their touring model being as tall as yours.  They show one that is only tops out about mirror height.  Thanks for any help you can supply.  I tried to message you but it wouldn't allow me.

Edited by scotto
To get message to

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, slideways said:

I have a love/hate relationship with windsceens. After two years on a Kawasaki 1400 Konnie with an adjustable windscreen that looked like it belonged and provided unparalled quiet and protection anything less just doesn't work for me. Ever since I've used windsceens that work no matter what they look like. Function first form second. What I have always done is  modify and mount so that they can come off quick and easy.

The National Cycle V-Stream touring is what I decided on after first trying the middle height model and realizing it would not do what I wanted. After installing the tall touring version and being certain my obsessive research would be correct a quick test ride showed I was soooooo wrong. The air is lifted off the chest and shoulders but my helmet was getting blasted worse than no windshield at all. I dug out an X-Screen that makes an awful looking monstrosity look even worse, installed it and voila silence. I can comfortably ride with the faceshield up and engine is louder than the wind.

Had to notch the edge to clear the break reservoir because the Woodcraft bars move everything bar mounted forward a bit. Then drilled two holes above the lower two mount bolts which upon pulling a rubber plug allows a t-handle Allen wrench get at them. The top two bolts were replaced with flange head bolts because a ratchet wrench is much easier and faster. 

Looks awful works great (is that a punch line to an old joke) and can be on or off in under 10min.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

How do you stop the light from that yellow lensed fog light from reflecting light off the windscreen and back into your eyes?

Beemer

I fully expected to have to reposition to light but to my surprise it does not reflect back nor light up the windshield. Go figure....

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

@slideways, please refer back to my previous post questioing exactly which model National Cycle windsheild that is pictured in your post.  It definatly isn't the current Touring model they sell now.  It seems to look like the touring model they sell for the FJ09.  I can't figure out what mounting system you could have used.  I'm interested in an oversize windsheild and yours is the best I've seen.  Do you find that your handling is ever adversely effected having such a large screen.  

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2018 at 6:15 AM, RRR said:

I'll be getting the flyscreen for purely aesthetic reasons. Not expecting any wind protection but will update once I've taken it for a decent ride.

2018-yamaha-mt-07-eu-yamaha-blue-accessorizeddetail-019.jpg

where can I find this?

56 minutes ago, Kyriakos said:

where can I find 

Its a yamaha oem screen.  You can get it at any yamaha unless you are in canada.  Also revzilla sells it

• 4 weeks later...
Evanlamarr88

I got this windscreen for $40 on Amazon, and it's great. Doesn't look dorky at all (like I think almost all of them do), and it actually does help with the wind! It takes some of the pressure off your chest. It sorta redirects it at your neck, but it's nothing worse than it was without the windscreen. Certainly an improvement. Definitely a great option, and the best one for me, as I don't want my bike to look like it has a headdress on, and I want to spend my limited amount of cash on as many upgrades as possible.

photos are here. Sorry for not putting them in the post, but can't figure out how to downsize them (one photo was more than the max size allowed per comment), and for some reason this site won't import images from Imgur.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Evanlamarr88 said:

It takes some of the pressure off your chest. It sorta redirects it at your neck, but it's nothing worse than it was without the windscreen.

Am I the only person who would rather have the wind hitting my chest rather than up around my neck/head?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Am I the only person who would rather have the wind hitting my chest rather than up around my neck/head?

Nope. I am happy to take all the wind there is.  Suits me and my kind of riding . I dont mind a minimal one to tidy up the bike's looks.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

Evanlamarr88
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

What I mean to say is, it doesn't create more pressure at your neck that you would feel without. You can just feel a difference now. It's a naked bike. You're either gonna feel wind, or your bike is gonna look like it wasn't intended to look. Up to you which one you prefer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a mid height National Cycle V-Stream on my 2017 FZ-07 and love it. I have multiple bikes so I mostly use my 07 for rides of 100 miles or less and this windshield takes the pressure off my chest and leaves my head in clean air (I'm 5' 10"). I tend to ride fast and this shield works into triple digits for me.

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2018 at 11:32 AM, Beemer said:

I have an Ermax for my bike and I like it. I recently took it off just so it would look more like a street fighter, I think the bike looks best that way but the other day I was on the highway, heading into the wind and the wind kept pushing up on the bottom of the helmets chin and hard on my chest. I didn't like my head being jerked up like that. Granted, I was doing around 90 mph. My grip was noticeably tighter than w/windscreen and I can't take too much of that. I may put the windscreen back on. I have the blue satin 39 cm for an '15 FZ-07. Here's a link for them, I highly recommend them if you're having trouble with wind. They do work!

https://www.ermax.com/Yamaha/MT-07(FZ-7)/nose_screen_.html?egap=article&ida=7183

I just ordered the 39cm black satin ermax. Do you still have it? Any pics on your bike? How tall are you?

On 8/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, DewMan said:

I'm with you too.  Breaking around the bottom of my helmet makes for too much roaring noise for me.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I wonder (hopefully not too far away) how Puig on the 22 MT-07 would look

puig_touring_naked_new_generation_windsc

Touring on a naked motorcycle has often meant getting beaten up by the wind blast, until now. Take back the road with this premium...

But more than that is, being one of the biggest (from my understanding) complaints is the wind on the highways when cruising above 55 MPH.
Would it improve with this screen The taller one being I am 6'1" +

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]