The MT-07 Forum

How long should the clutch last?

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

Lets assume some decent abuse, I don't baby my bike AT ALL.

I'm at 22,000 km now and over the last couple months the clutch has been getting more and more grabby and the friction point near the end of the lever. This morning I started the bike cold and went to slowly take off and the clutch honked at me (chattered?) and I jumped forward a bit. It was a little unnerving.

whats the deal?

Have you been adjusting it? Lot's of city driving? Any drag race starts?

Longest I kept a bike was 2.5 years, 50k miles and the clutch was still good.

topazsparrow
7 minutes ago, MT27 said:

Have you been adjusting it? Lot's of city driving? Any drag race starts?

Longest I kept a bike was 2.5 years, 50k miles and the clutch was still good.

It's been adjusted when I swapped bars yeah. Made sure it wasn't dragging at any point though.

No drag race starts, and very little city driving.. just a shet ton of wheelies.

I have seen clutches go out on other bikes as soon as 8000 miles, but it's rare. 

It depends a lot on how its used, slipping the clutch a lot can wear on it. But I have not noticed any clutch complaints on the forum, and we have been around since the very day that Yamaha announced that this bike was coming to the USA. 

If you do change your clutch, please take pictures or video and write up a tutorial for the tech tip section. In a few years that would help a ton of MT07 owners. 

I have never worn out a clutch and with normal use I would expect it to outlast the vehicle more often than not. But you can also kill it in a few miles if that is your goal. Chatter suggest either warped and/or overheated metal discs in the clutch. The former will give uneven pressure, the latter uneven friction.

When you say you've done a shet ton of wheelies were they power wheelies or did you clutch to do them?

Beemer

topazsparrow
8 hours ago, Beemer said:

When you say you've done a shet ton of wheelies were they power wheelies or did you clutch to do them?

Both, lately a lot more clutch ups.

2 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Both, lately a lot more clutch ups.

That's probably "the deal".

Beemer

topazsparrow
9 minutes ago, Beemer said:

That's probably "the deal".

"God damn whipper snappers having fun on their bikes.. learn to do the speed limit and use High Viz like me and my grand kids!"

so anyway, back to reality... I'm not the only person in the world doing this with this bike. I don't see many reports and as cruizin says, not many people have had to do their clutches yet. Clutch ups in reasonable gears (1st and 2nd) don't typically wear your clutch any appreciable amount like a drag launch - which I don't do.

I'm curious what would cause the clutch to honk / chatter when cold like that. It doesn't slip or behave oddly outside of that and it's not a regular occurrence.

Go take a nap you old fart.

That's so funny because I'm not so old that I don't pull wheelies myself, (power wheelies, not clutch-ups and my clutch is good at 32k miles) I would have no room to complain about anyone else pulling them but I might point out a reason why a clutch might be going out, especially when someone asked for opinions as to why theirs might be and 'implied' the "shet tons of clutch ups" might be the cause. Edited: It's Ok, though, I forgive you. 

Beemer

try a different brand of motorcycle specific oil. 

but if the plates have cooked/burned oil on them or you've heat damaged them (the steels are now blue or worse), you'll need new. 

• Premium Member

If you have to replace your clutch, let me know where you found a kit with all the plates springs etc:

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

I guess it is best to try everything simple before replacing the clutch.  If your friction point is moving, then your clutch cable might be stretched and needs replacing.  I would check the chain and sprockets also.  If you have done your oil changes on schedule, and using motorcycle oil, and not car oil or something stupid, your clutch should not be wrecked.  There are good wheelies and bad wheelies.  A smooth clutch up shouldn't be a problem.  WOT to the red line and dumping the clutch is not so good.

23 hours ago, rick said:

try a different brand of motorcycle specific oil. 

but if the plates have cooked/burned oil on them or you've heat damaged them (the steels are now blue or worse), you'll need new. 

Might also see some burn in the old oil....

Clutch abuse is a sin and punishable by listening to abba for hours in a room full of Tvs filled with a shreaking Hillary C

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 hours ago, r1limited said:

Clutch abuse is a sin and punishable by listening to abba for hours in a room full of Tvs filled with a shreaking Hillary C

How about listening to Barney while watching the Teletubbies as a punishment?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, noodles said:

If you have to replace your clutch, let me know where you found a kit with all the plates springs etc:

Noodles... I think I posted before when you asked this question...I bought a complete OEM kit on ebay for about $100 US, springs, all plates & gasket.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, markstertt said:

Noodles... I think I posted before when you asked this question...I bought a complete OEM kit on ebay for about $100 US, springs, all plates & gasket.

I found the thread you are talking about here:

I wasn't in that thread and there's no link to the kit or part number but thanks for the tip

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

18 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

How about listening to Barney while watching the Teletubbies as a punishment?

Dear lord, you must have kids! One brother of mine once popped "RIO" into the DVD player and after 15 minutes of it I had to leave the room. The cute and overly happy, happy, happy was overbearing. (true story)

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Dear lord, you must have kids! One brother of mine once popped "RIO" into the DVD player and after 15 minutes of it I had to leave the room. The cute and overly happy, happy, happy was overbearing. (true story)

My daughter is 30 years old now, but I still remember the horror, the horror. 🤪

6 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

My daughter is 30 years old now, but I still remember the horror, the horror. 🤪

Talk about elder abuse from a toddler, barney is it.  I blame the rushins

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 hours ago, r1limited said:

Talk about elder abuse from a toddler, barney is it.  I blame the rushins

Don't forget the aliens. 🤣

11 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

Don't forget the aliens. 🤣

I think Mork from Ork started it.

Beemer

Archived