The MT-07 Forum

Pro taper bars

metsen duts

metsen duts

Well I felt the urge to see how asfault felt so I figured I would dump my bike on a wheelie.... Didn't feel as good as I thought. Anywho bent up the stock bars replaced it with some pro taper "Carmichaels" not because of a jake the garden snake fanboy. But I had em on a ktm 200 I ran hare scrambles with. Anyways after getting the bike back together I'm feeling too much input in the front end. The bike head shakes at highway speeds and Twisties with unsmooth roads with the slightest input.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues like this. Should I Craigslist the bars, cut em or some other issue?

• Premium Member

I'd be hesitant to blame the bars for headshake.  I'd be double-checking the triple-tree alignment, straightness of the forks and the head bearings for notching especially after a crash.

If all that has already been done... nevermind. ✌️

Good luck resolving your issue.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

metsen duts

I will look into that I gotta get some suspension work done in the much nearer future I'll get them to check out forks and triple and pay for what I can't do.

I test road a used bike once that had bent front forks. The bend was so slight you could hardly detect it but man could you feel the difference in the steering. I would take a closer, verrrrry close look at the forks just to be sure before playing the nickel & dime game with different parts.

Beemer

metsen duts

I'll take a look at the forks although it was a low speed crash. The bike got away from me after yanking a first gear wheelie. So I'm hoping something is just out of alinement

• 1 month later...

If you're not leaking oil at the fork seals then your forks are straight. Have someone check your alignment front to back with a laser. Probably twisted in the triple tree a slight bit. Triple trees aren't really all that snug.  They're more snug for holding height more than anything else.  I used to pull up to a parking lot stop or concrete curb and bang my front tire on it to straighten it out.

Did you mount the new large diameter bar mounts on top of the stock ones?

If so, the stock mounts are rubber mounted ( sloppy ). The longer bars AND the longer distance to the bar mounts will make the leverage on the rubber cause even greater sloppiness. Now this won't cause vibration, but it will substantially magnify any existing vibration. Check front wheel balance first. You may have knocked the balance weights off in the crash or subsequent repairs.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The bars were about 4.5 in longer the stock I have since changed them to some renthal street fighters which are more like stock with a more comfortable bend for me the problem have gone away.  Also got springs and race tech gve installed the bikes riding like a dream now

Archived