The MT-07 Forum

JRI Street Fighter rear shock

scordiaboy515

scordiaboy515

Talked to JRI today, they need a shock off an 07 to finalize there dimensions and get one finished and on there website. Was told also it will probably be a remote reservoir style.  I'm considering sending them mine and taking my bike out of service for a couple of weeks......will have the first one manufactured.  They have been letting the control riders from Cornerspeed test there shock at VIR and had nothing but positive things to say.   I think he said it would retail at $799.00......next will be Race Tech components
installed on the front fork by Max Speed Cycle.

scordiaboy515

Boxed up rear shock and off to JRI.........should have it by sometime next week.

scordiaboy515

On the the phone with Marcus @ JRI shocks today......hopefully the shock will ship today and receive it tomorrow.  Going to be a nice weekend, so I can hit the mountain with the new shock.....

I'm 220lbs, stock spring is rated at 600 lbs, new shock will have a 700lb spring with the rider sag set between 1 - 1 3/8 inches.

On the the phone with Marcus @ JRI shocks today......hopefully the shock will ship today and receive it tomorrow.  Going to be a nice weekend, so I can hit the mountain with the new shock..... 
I'm 220lbs, stock spring is rated at 600 lbs, new shock will have a 700lb spring with the rider sag set between 1 - 1 3/8 inches.

Was it hard to remove rear shock and can you post step by step never done it before . 
Thanks 
Stefano

scordiaboy515

The trickiest thing to do is get the bike high enough to get jack stands underneath the plates that the pegs mounts bolt to.  I used small 2x6 boards underneath my rear stand wheels to get it up higher, let it down on the jack stands.  Once that is done, remove the 2 bolts and the shock is on the bench.  If you have rafters in your garage handy, you can also use tie down straps to support the bike while you swap out the shock.  more than one way to skin a cat....this is how I did it.....will take some pics when I put it back together

Thanks for posting the pictures that really helps for my future upgrade,I need to get a set of jack stands now  :) any place were to get a good deal on jack stands?

scordiaboy515
Thanks for posting the pictures that really helps for my future upgrade,I need to get a set of jack stands now  :) any place were to get a good deal on jack stands?
    Purchased them at Advanced Auto.....cheap, I have a set of 4 when I was working on my E36 8-) 

Can you say how much the new shock will cost?
New to motorcycle but will this new shock/coil make the bike lower and how does a stiffer spring rate make a bike handle? Just better weight transfer or ?
I'm pushing 300lb on the fz07 so I wouldn't mind upgrading if it a large differnce

scordiaboy515

The stock spring rate is way too soft for your weight, more like a 750 or 800 lb spring would be proper.  What makes the stock suspension no good is too light of a spring rate and the dampening ability or lack of. The compression and rebound dampening sux on stock stuff, that's where a after market shock comes in to play. Yamaha has a great bike here, but they have to cut corners somewhere to get the bike at there price point....so the suspension suffers.  What ever shock you decide to go with call the tech guy and discuss what you want the shock to do....i.e. touring, 2 up riding, track days etc.  It retails for $799.00..... Hope this helps

The stock spring rate is way too soft for your weight, more like a 750 or 800 lb spring would be proper.  What makes the stock suspension no good is too light of a spring rate and the dampening ability or lack of. The compression and rebound dampening sux on stock stuff, that's where a after market shock comes in to play. Yamaha has a great bike here, but they have to cut corners somewhere to get the bike at there price point....so the suspension suffers.  What ever shock you decide to go with call the tech guy and discuss what you want the shock to do....i.e. touring, 2 up riding, track days etc.  It retails for $799.00..... Hope this helps

What's 2 up riding?
And how do you calculate the sprig rate per pound of a rider

And thanks it does help

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

2 up = having a passenger on the pillion seat.

Illegitimi non carborundum

scordiaboy515

Marcus McBain is the motorcycle guy at JRI Shocks.....he can answer all your questions.  There phone # is 704 660-8346 ext. 135, he is very knowledgeable and helpful 8-).....http://www.jrishocks.com/product-category/motorcycle/

scordiaboy515

......received the shock on Friday, there is a minor issue with the clevis (too short), emailed Marcus at JRI, he has everything under control and will remedy the problem.    This is some of the challenges when developing parts for a new bike without having the bike in your possession ::)

scordiaboy515

Got an update from JRI today. They have to re-engineer the clevis and then get it machined from another source....could be 2 - 4 weeks.  Marcus told me I could send the shock back and get a full refund but I don't want to do that.....the riding season is pretty much over and the shock is a really nice piece......41N6QOl.jpg

Archived