The MT-07 Forum

Improve aero for comfort?

godoy.rafa

So I have put a big windscreen in my '16 MT07, but I still feel a lot of wind pressure in arms, shoulders and legs when cruising on highways - that's what I do most of the time.

Is it possible to adapt or to make some small fairing parts to improve that? Has anyone done it?

• Premium Member

Which "big windscreen" are you using?

To my knowledge Madstad makes the largest cruising windscreen available for the FZ/MT-07 with screens as tall as 22in with adjustable angle and height.

But honestly I don't think you're going to happy with any thing short of a trading up to a Goldwing if arm & leg air pressure bother you.

Best of luck finding a solution. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Which "big windscreen" are you using?

To my knowledge Madstad makes the largest cruising windscreen available for the FZ/MT-07 with screens as tall as 22in with adjustable angle and height.

But honestly I don't think you're going to happy with any thing short of a trading up to a Goldwing if arm & leg air pressure bother you.

Best of luck finding a solution. ✌️

Man, this windshield is massive! I like the mounts too. I'll try to build something like this. Thanks!

topazsparrow
4 hours ago, godoy.rafa said:

So I have put a big windscreen in my '16 MT07, but I still feel a lot of wind pressure in arms, shoulders and legs when cruising on highways - that's what I do most of the time.

Is it possible to adapt or to make some small fairing parts to improve that? Has anyone done it?

You could add the "bark busters" to the grips, that might help deflect some wind off your arms..

Ultimately this bike isn't well suited for riders who don't like wind. Honestly, no naked bike is. You'll have to add a mad-stad windscreen like this one: https://madstad.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-fz-07-2014 to find any kind of meaningful relief... personally I think it makes the bike look really goofy.

You can get some nice sport touring bikes designed for longer rides at higher speeds a lot cheaper. I've seen quite a few FZ6R's come up that are only a few years old for quite cheap.

7 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

You can get some nice sport touring bikes designed for longer rides at higher speeds a lot cheaper. I've seen quite a few FZ6R's come up that are only a few years old for quite cheap.

I know... Had a Ninja 650 a while ago... But man, I really like the 07! I wish Yamaha made a faired version.

Without having seen your riding position , here are some thoughts.

First possibly the arm wind pressure is from poor arm positioning. Try and ride with your arms relaxed with the forearme roughly parallel to the ground. This helps stop the wind pressure on the part of the arm with the most leverage against your shoulder muscles. It also will lean your body forward reduce your frontal area , thus reducing overall wind pressure.

If you have narrower shoulders or a short upper body , the bars may be too wide, May be worth a narrower, and possibly lower, set

Lower bars may help in any case.

Your fairing may actually be INCREASING the wind pressure on your body. The shape actually doesn't look too bad, but experiment with mounting it higher vertically, and maybe, angle the top backwards more. As it is at the moment , it is really only removing the wind pressure from the area that already protects you anyway ( bars, instruments etc). The angles of deflection may be directly on to you, including air that was originally being diffused by the bars, etc.

If you are the modding type, adding a helmet visor spaced above, but overlapping the top of the screen will add to the flow redirection .  Helmet visors are good because they don't shatter and are already a good shape , some even with 3d curves. Like in the picture. you only need about 10-15mm to help stop vortex shedding and keep the flow smooth over the top of your helmet ( that's what your aiming for).

Hopefully some of this may be useful.

racks (5).JPG

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

42 minutes ago, gregjet said:

Without having seen your riding position , here are some thoughts.

First possibly the arm wind pressure is from poor arm positioning. Try and ride with your arms relaxed with the forearme roughly parallel to the ground. This helps stop the wind pressure on the part of the arm with the most leverage against your shoulder muscles. It also will lean your body forward reduce your frontal area , thus reducing overall wind pressure.

If you have narrower shoulders or a short upper body , the bars may be too wide, May be worth a narrower, and possibly lower, set

Lower bars may help in any case.

Your fairing may actually be INCREASING the wind pressure on your body. The shape actually doesn't look too bad, but experiment with mounting it higher vertically, and maybe, angle the top backwards more. As it is at the moment , it is really only removing the wind pressure from the area that already protects you anyway ( bars, instruments etc). The angles of deflection may be directly on to you, including air that was originally being diffused by the bars, etc.

If you are the modding type, adding a helmet visor spaced above, but overlapping the top of the screen will add to the flow redirection .  Helmet visors are good because they don't shatter and are already a good shape , some even with 3d curves. Like in the picture. you only need about 10-15mm to help stop vortex shedding and keep the flow smooth over the top of your helmet ( that's what your aiming for).

Hopefully some of this may be useful.

racks (5).JPG

Great tips man! I'll try changing my riding position and then messing with the mount and perhaps adding a helmet visor on top. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived