The MT-07 Forum

Adjusting the lockring on the Ohlin STX46 shock. Help!

sk8norcal

I recently installed an Ohlins shock and am wondering how to get the R1 measurement?

I started lifting the bike with a floor jack but it felt super-sketchy. Aborted mission!

I’m 150 lbs dripping wet so probably 160ish(?) with gear. Haven’t adjusted anything on the shock yet. Already feels way better than stock so I can only imagine how good it’ll feel setup properly. 

Trailering it from WI to TN in a couple weeks so trying to get everything in tip-top shape. 

Any my help would be appreciated!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jkrueger13 said:

Trailering it from WI to TN in a couple weeks

Isn't the point to RIDE it? :) 

A-frame ladder from hardware store (exposed rafter beam?) + ratchet strap and you can dangle the bike by the passenger pegs or subframe. A lot easier is to have helper lean bike onto side-stand till it pivots the rear tire off the ground. You do the measuring while it's unloaded. A piece of masking/painter's tape is helpful to mark so you can measure between the same 2 points.

2 "husky dude(tte)s" each holding opposing ends of a 3ft length of 1" steel pipe (or wooden brookstick) placed cross-wise across subframe and doing leg extensions (never lift with the back, right?). Hand them 16oz of Gatorade when done and a fresh towel. Inquire if they feel adequately "pumped up" at the end of their workout.

The rich man's way is an Abba stand. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Pattonme, 

So I should have taken this measurement after installing the shock before I set it back on the ground.  Sigh.  Hindsight is 20-20!  I'll go for the leaning route with a helper.  I appreciate the tip!

The trip to TN is with the wife and 2 YO, so I'm lucky I convinced her to let me trailer it.  I will also pass on the hundreds of miles on super-slab through the flat midwest.  

Skater, thank you for the video link!  I'll watch this later this afternoon; Fridays are for slacking!

Thank you both!!

Jason :)

Liquidmetal
4 hours ago, jkrueger13 said:

The trip to TN is with the wife and 2 YO, so I'm lucky I convinced her to let me trailer it.  I will also pass on the hundreds of miles on super-slab through the flat midwest. 

Yup.  The woman and I trek to TN from WI twice a year and that would be one boring ride on a motorcycle.  I would pass also.

I have considered trailering mine several times and cruising the Smokies while we are there.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

On 8/2/2018 at 7:02 PM, jkrueger13 said:

I recently installed an Ohlins shock

how did you install your shock?

On 7/16/2018 at 12:33 PM, sk8norcal said:

Added more sag, even better!!

Rides beautiful now.  Shock eating up all those bumps.  It was beating me up before. LOL :)

Gonna do the fork oil mod next....

I think the stock spring is okay for my weight (170 lbs without gear)

Hi im getting one and im a 'Google' kinda mechanic so im here. Im 163 with gear on. What are your current setting for the shock?

1 hour ago, sen07 said:

Hi im getting one and im a 'Google' kinda mechanic so im here. Im 163 with gear on. What are your current setting for the shock?

Good to do some research before spending ur money.  I am not experienced at all.  So take that into consideration.   From what I read  this is not the best shock for the money in this price range.   I currently have the shock set at 35 mm  rider sag.  180 lb rider including gear.  17 clicks.  Spring is 115 N/mm.   I thought it was soft enough but after more riding on bumpy back roads, I didn't feel it was plush enough.  I had a Nc700x  before, that's what I was comparing it to. 

Anyways, instead of putting more money into this bike, I am in process of selling the bike for a Versys 650, which I had a short test ride on a rough road, felt much more compliant.  But of course not as nimble and flickable as the fz07.

On 8/9/2018 at 12:39 PM, sk8norcal said:

Good to do some research before spending ur money.  I am not experienced at all.  So take that into consideration.   From what I read  this is not the best shock for the money in this price range.   I currently have the shock set at 35 mm  rider sag.  180 lb rider including gear.  17 clicks.  Spring is 115 N/mm.   I thought it was soft enough but after more riding on bumpy back roads, I didn't feel it was plush enough.  I had a Nc700x  before, that's what I was comparing it to. 

Anyways, instead of putting more money into this bike, I am in process of selling the bike for a Versys 650, which I had a short test ride on a rough road, felt much more compliant.  But of course not as nimble and flickable as the fz07.

Thanks, too late on its way now 😛 Ill check my mine and will compare to your number in case needs adjusting. Hpfly ure happy with bike upgrade

1 hour ago, sen07 said:

Thanks, too late on its way now 😛 Ill check my mine and will compare to your number in case needs adjusting. Hpfly ure happy with bike upgrade

Where did you order from?  I saw it on Revzilla, where they ask for your weight, but they dont tell you what spring you gonna get.

Stil have my FZ07 for now. 

Just rode my friends CBR300R with stock suspension.
Very smooth, to me much better than my setup right now.

On 8/9/2018 at 1:17 PM, sen07 said:

I'm a similar weight, I tried different settings but ended up using the stock rebound setting (14 clicks).

I needed less preload than stock to hit a reasonable sag number.

The improvement to the stock shock is great.

I thought u said the stock shock has rebound for a minute there. Noted gonna try on that number once the new shock came tmrw. cant wait

1 hour ago, stickshift said:

I'm a similar weight, I tried different settings but ended up using the stock rebound setting (14 clicks).

I needed less preload than stock to hit a reasonable sag number.

The improvement to the stock shock is great.

what spring did you get?

and where did you get the shock from?

and did u upgrade ur front suspension?

1 hour ago, sen07 said:

Bought on Ebay, $60 cheaper than Rev. Same didn't tell me which spring they put.. but say not to worry.. mehh

hopefully its not 115 N/mm,  I say that's too stiff.

8 minutes ago, sk8norcal said:

hopefully its not 115 N/mm,  I say that's too stiff.

Didn't the put it on papers in the box or something? damn.. i need to keep asking them

33 minutes ago, sen07 said:

Didn't the put it on papers in the box or something? damn.. i need to keep asking them

the 3 digit # after the /

01092-42/115   on mine

most people probably end up with the 115 stock spring weight.   (whether its right or not)

there is a pdf manual for this shock

they recommend

R1-R2 6mm
R1-R3 30mm

Rebound dampening is 14 clicks stock

fz07 YA419.jpg

27 minutes ago, sen07 said:

Ahh. u teasing me man. the shock has arrived. Gonna install it tonight. Whats "R1-R2 6mm R1-R3 30mm" means?

Static sag and rider sag targets, you'll get the instructions with the shock.

I tried a lighter spring (105 N/mm), it didn't work even for my light weight (155 lb kitted). Part of the issue is the limited shock travel - if you fit a lighter spring you run a higher risk of it bottoming on the bump stop (never a good thing). I'm very happy with the stx46 shock and the standard spring you get with it (115 N/mm).

When you fit it make sure you adjust the sag correctly to get it within the recommended range. Get a friend to help and use a tape measure, it makes a big difference.

5 minutes ago, stickshift said:

Static sag and rider sag targets, you'll get the instructions with the shock.

I tried a lighter spring (105 N/mm), it didn't work even for my light weight (155 lb kitted). Part of the issue is the limited shock travel - if you fit a lighter spring you run a higher risk of it bottoming on the bump stop (never a good thing). I'm very happy with the stx46 shock and the standard spring you get with it (115 N/mm).

When you fit it make sure you adjust the sag correctly to get it within the recommended range. Get a friend to help and use a tape measure, it makes a big difference.

Thanks man! will report back!

So I installed mine just now (it came with the 115 N/mm spring). The setup was a poor mans job, kinda sketchy at first but it came out just fine. Heres how it went down, tilt the bike on its stand (just enough to get the tyre up a few inches) and place a jack stand to hold the right side frame (just under the brake peg), and dont forget to choke underneath the tyre. Shake the bike a bit and pray it holds lol. Before doing it, make sure to clear all the screws/chain guard and loosen up the stock shock bolt. As the bike up and sturdy i was on standby on the left side just in case something gv in. I ask my handy man (brother) to do the shock swap, even had some time to clean the bolt and put some grease on the rear bearings. It was so quick like stealing the thing. It was done less than an hour. Took it for a ride without setting up anything and i already could feel the difference. It was nice! Going to do more test before putting in preload and messing with the rebound. Thanks guys! Here some pictures during the setup :

Archived