The MT-07 Forum

Don't ever test ride a Ninja 1000

Cruizin

A buddy had one of these bikes and rarely ever rode it. I got a chance on it one day and was blown away. Your description of "fast when you want it to be" is spot on. Very comfy, tame bike until you wick it up- then it goes mental. More bike than I want, but yeah, theydon't get enough credit. 

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

A buddy had one of these bikes and rarely ever rode it. I got a chance on it one day and was blown away. Your description of "fast when you want it to be" is spot on. Very comfy, tame bike until you wick it up- then it goes mental. More bike than I want, but yeah, theydon't get enough credit. 

Like I said, the Ninja zx10R outsells the Ninja 1000 3 to 1. But the ZX10R is a bitch to ride on the street. Horrible in traffic and the smallest road imperfections actually hurt to ride over. It is a track bike, and most guys want to look like they are racers. 

At the old age of 52, but with a serious passion for speed still alive in me, I'll take that comfortable but fast (when I need it to be) Ninja 1000 over the ZX10R any day of the week. 

Commute to work. 

Take to the track

Rough roads in the mountians

Cross country trip. 

it does all the above. 

damn Kawi. The Z1000 gets the eccentric axle adjuster and the Z900 doesn't. For shame!

I really like the 2018 colors but it's just too much tupperware and bird-head pointy. A lot of cycle for the money no doubt at least if you count lbs per dollar. I suspect it has the same shock as the Z900 series which isn't very good.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Eccentric chain adjusters are easy to use and once the wheel is properly aligned it will stay that way - until you have to change sprocket or bearings, at least. You can also play a bit with ride height and geometry.

On the negative side you will play with geometry and ride height as you adjust the chain. Hence it is not typically used for racing.

topazsparrow
On 7/6/2018 at 9:34 PM, Cruizin said:

The 2011 -18 Ninja 1000 always caught my eye, but I never understood why. People call it the Gentleman's Sport bike. Its not really a traditional sportbike, you sit up straight, right ?  It's not really a Sport tourer like the Concours. No Cruise control, can get hard bags but they cost $1200 from the factory.  I always liked the look of the bike, but it has been tucked away in the corner of my mind where bike models linger until I get to meet and ride em. 

That changed tonight when my neighbor brought home his new to him 2012 Ninja 1000. He tossed me the keys and asked me to take it for a spin and let him know what I think. So, I took it for an hour run. 

And now I want one. It's fast, but only when you want it to be.  6 speeds, but you could honestly just leave it in 3rd gear all day.

Seriously. Midrange power like you wouldn't believe.  Comfortable, easy to ride, fun to ride.  

I could commute on this bike easily, and I could take off on a 1500 mile trip on this bike just as easily. 

The swing arms even have this genius cam turning device that makes chain adjustments easy as hell with just a ratchet or allen wrench. 

Seriously, don't ever test ride a Ninja 1000. It will have you questioning naked bikes and smaller engines. And I dont wanna hear any crap from someone who hasn't actually ridden one.  Seriously, I think it's one of the most perfect bikes ever.  Or at least perfect for me. 

And taking a look at the Ninja 1000 forum, they last. A bunch of em with 60,000 plus miles already. 

This is pretty much exactly what I hear about the MT-10's from people I talk to at the dealer.

I've never had a salesguy encourage me so hard to try one, but telling me not to try it because I'll buy it just like everyone else did.

I'm so glad to see bikes like this being built, selling and catching on. Way to many years of the market being geared for cruisers and street Rossi's. The FZ/MT/XSR lineup, the SV is back, the GSX-S, this Ninja and others...feels like real motorcycles are coming back in to style! 

Archived