The MT-07 Forum

Don't ever test ride a Ninja 1000

Cruizin

The 2011 -18 Ninja 1000 always caught my eye, but I never understood why. People call it the Gentleman's Sport bike. Its not really a traditional sportbike, you sit up straight, right ?  It's not really a Sport tourer like the Concours. No Cruise control, can get hard bags but they cost $1200 from the factory.  I always liked the look of the bike, but it has been tucked away in the corner of my mind where bike models linger until I get to meet and ride em. 

That changed tonight when my neighbor brought home his new to him 2012 Ninja 1000. He tossed me the keys and asked me to take it for a spin and let him know what I think. So, I took it for an hour run. 

And now I want one. It's fast, but only when you want it to be.  6 speeds, but you could honestly just leave it in 3rd gear all day.

Seriously. Midrange power like you wouldn't believe.  Comfortable, easy to ride, fun to ride.  

I could commute on this bike easily, and I could take off on a 1500 mile trip on this bike just as easily. 

The swing arms even have this genius cam turning device that makes chain adjustments easy as hell with just a ratchet or allen wrench. 

Seriously, don't ever test ride a Ninja 1000. It will have you questioning naked bikes and smaller engines. And I dont wanna hear any crap from someone who hasn't actually ridden one.  Seriously, I think it's one of the most perfect bikes ever.  Or at least perfect for me. 

And taking a look at the Ninja 1000 forum, they last. A bunch of em with 60,000 plus miles already. 

I always loved the look of of 2007ish Ninjas. My neighbor has 2 identical 2007 ninja 1000s. I got to cruise around on one at the beginning of the summer and I have to agree with you. Very easy bike to ride and when you want...very fast. I dont know about the newer models but I can imagine they have only improved upon an already good ride.

• Premium Member

I have had bad luck/juju owning a Kawasaki...so im not interested in throwing a leg over one anytime soon... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Its got to be the best kept of a secret bike out there.  The ninja zx10R out sells it 3 to one, but that bike is uncomfortable, sucks on anything other than a track. I think many peeps just want to say they have the fastest bikes, but then are in total pain and discomfort in traffic.  Winding around cars in traffic while bent all the way forward with your feet way back behind you sucks. 

Seriously, that Ninja 1000 is the best kept secret on two wheels. Its kinda like the older Honda VRF, but with a shitload more power.

4 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I have had bad luck/juju owning a Kawasaki...so im not interested in throwing a leg over one anytime soon... 

Every bike factory builds occasional lemons.   I have had a couple, Yamaha and Honda. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

Every bike factory builds occasional lemons.   I have had a couple, Yamaha and Honda. 

not a "lemon" but just didnt mesh well with me... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Never drove it but always loved the look of that bike.
In europe I think it's called z1000sx.
I drove the versys 1000 with the same engine I guess. That engine was amazing.
So smooth and can be very fast.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I bet the Ninja 1000 would be a great allround bike.  BTW @Cruizin, what does the Ninja 1000 weigh in at?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

18 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

I bet the Ninja 1000 would be a great allround bike.  BTW @Cruizin, what does the Ninja 1000 weigh in at?

Curb weight for the 2018 is 516 lbs.

Beemer

I read this the day after a friend tells me about one for sale at a hell of a deal. Hmmmm coincidence or fate?

51 minutes ago, 5tonfan said:

I read this the day after a friend tells me about one for sale at a hell of a deal. Hmmmm coincidence or fate?

What state? I cant find any used model for sale here, cept for overpriced models at the dealer. 

This is the direction I want to go when I move back to the States.  I'm thinking of getting rid of my GSXR and I have to sell my MT since it's euro spec. Then get a bike that can do the occasional track day or tour or commute and be enjoyable all the time.  I've played with the idea of the S1000R, Ducati SuperSport and Aprilia Tuono.    Sexy bikes but not sure if I want to get away from Japanese reliability.  Duc and BMW have more power than I'm after but I don't see a lot of choices for bikes that have the sport touring formula skewed towards sport (and still look damn good).  This would be a much cheaper option and it has reviewed quite well.

I have ridden the Versys 1000 (and didn't much care for it), but as I understand it, the Ninja 1000 is more similar to the old sportbikes that ended up as sportstourers as sportbikes grew more and more extreme. Bikes like the FJ1100, GS1150ES, VF1000F2 and GPz900R Ninja. Only, of course, the modern Ninja will be better at everything.

I gotta admit, I love my z1000 more than the FZ07- but they are two bikes that should never be compared.

The z1000 is mechanically identical to the Ninja 1000 except from what I've read some ECU mapping differences- which tells me they still pretty much ride the same engine character-wise.  But definitely the Ninja is more comfortable and plush (seat, suspension, wind deflection). 

What I love about the z1000 oddly is the weight.  Having rode the 2017 FZ09- it felt shockingly light.  Coupled with its torque, I did not like that feeling.  It felt dangerous.  Which is why so many people love the FZ09.  But the weight of the z1000 and the power makes it feel planted and not dangerous.  Like it matches the power appropriately.  Don't know how to fully explain it but I love getting on my z1000, twisting the throttle wide open and knowing I won't get into dangerous trouble the way the FZ09 would bring me to.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I've never been a fan of inline 4s - just don't care much for the sizzle. But after owning an '82R100RS BMW for 14 years, a '96 K1100RS for 7, I am a fan of the concept. And even though parts availability has gotten a wee bit thin after 15 years, I just can't seem to part with 

Futura.thumb.jpg.57a337b40242e0072f12372de628698e.jpg

32 minutes ago, SkH said:

I gotta admit, I love my z1000 more than the FZ07- but they are two bikes that should never be compared.

The z1000 is mechanically identical to the Ninja 1000 except from what I've read some ECU mapping differences- which tells me they still pretty much ride the same engine character-wise.  But definitely the Ninja is more comfortable and plush (seat, suspension, wind deflection). 

What I love about the z1000 oddly is the weight.  Having rode the 2017 FZ09- it felt shockingly light.  Coupled with its torque, I did not like that feeling.  It felt dangerous.  Which is why so many people love the FZ09.  But the weight of the z1000 and the power makes it feel planted and not dangerous.  Like it matches the power appropriately.  Don't know how to fully explain it but I love getting on my z1000, twisting the throttle wide open and knowing I won't get into dangerous trouble the way the FZ09 would bring me to.

My FZ-09 was fun around town but in the canyons I never felt planted in the corners. There is alot going on with that bike at speed and the suspension was a pogo stick in the corners. The only thing I really liked about the FZ-09 was the engine. 

It felt nothing like the Ninja 1000. 

Personally, I prefer light bikes. Especially after I began riding a bit more gravel and also riding through winter on snow and ice. Today, I rode 270 miles, maybe 50 of them on gravel roads (which, accidentally, was much smoother than a lot of the roads covered with asphalt) and the 250 kg / 550 lb wet Virago does make itself known when slides starts to get a bit out of hand. On tarmac, weight is generally of less importance - and is beneficial in smoothing bumps and dips - until you have a situation. All things else being equal, more weight require more time and distance to change direction, and are also harder to control if the wheels are sliding out. A  reliable bike weighing 220 lb wet with 40 hp and good comfort and reliability would be something to kill for 🤓

5 hours ago, rick said:

I've never been a fan of inline 4s - just don't care much for the sizzle. But after owning an '82R100RS BMW for 14 years, a '96 K1100RS for 7, I am a fan of the concept. And even though parts availability has gotten a wee bit thin after 15 years, I just can't seem to part with 

Futura.thumb.jpg.57a337b40242e0072f12372de628698e.jpg

Thats a sweet Aprilia. I would never sell that if I were you. You can let me borrow it though. 😃

That one's not mine, but it is what it looks like. Funny how the style critics said it was too angular back in 2001 when it 1st came out. Put it next to the H2 and it looks conservative. 

The bike that I really don't want to test ride is a Motus. 

" A  reliable bike weighing 220 lb wet with 40 hp and good comfort and reliability would be something to kill for "

DRZ400SM with a safari tank and decent rear shock and spring. There ya go

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Z900RS over Z1000/Z900. I'm not biased or anything. They're "cheap" too.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived