The MT-07 Forum

Seat issues

Shark

Hi there I'm sure everyone has noticed that after several hours on the bike ya rump gets a bit numb I was looking to upgrade the seat but not a fan of the comfort seat stitching why the bike does not come with one beats me I believe they have addressed this with the 2018 model anyway I went to my local bicycle shop purchased a pair of lycra padded pants $80 put ya jeans over the top and they are not visible they do feel a bit funky the first time you put them on but work really well on long rides cheers..

I was reading seat upgrades threads and when I saw prices it was just too much. I remember r1limited saying buy padded bicycle shorts and I tried it. So for ~30$ a bought lycra padded shorts in local shop and it showed as a great little investment. So yes, I agree 100% :D

Seat concepts are too much...and I don't care...I love em ( Some do not...)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

My bike came with an older style Corbin that looks a little too touring for me. It's grey and soft but doesn't match how aggressive I want the bike. honestly i'd rather have the stock seat lol...

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Laben said:

My bike came with an older style Corbin that looks a little too touring for me. It's grey and soft but doesn't match how aggressive I want the bike. honestly i'd rather have the stock seat lol...

I'm just guessing but I would think you could get someone to swap their stock seat for your Corbin saddle.  👍

If I didn't already have a Corbin, I'd swap with you any day.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm just guessing but I would think you could get someone to swap their stock seat for your Corbin saddle.  👍

If I didn't already have a Corbin, I'd swap with you any day.

bike.png.e3eb3b4f3e93198f115e9909bd1bc80e.png.1b245605f5611941a2be6bd5964e7e95.png

Truly is a saddle. It's getting grey and worn a little though from riding in the rain.

Bike shorts work well! I used to use them when I did all off road. The FZ seat is a high end luxury sofa compared to some dirt bike seats but sometimes I do wish for a little extra something to help with the numb bum. I can usually go a little over an hour straight before that sets in. Downhill after that so I start making frequent stops.

4 hours ago, Laben said:

bike.png.e3eb3b4f3e93198f115e9909bd1bc80e.png.1b245605f5611941a2be6bd5964e7e95.png

Truly is a saddle. It's getting grey and worn a little though from riding in the rain.

Dude that windshield looks EFFECTIVE!

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

Dude that windshield looks EFFECTIVE!

My guess is it's a Madstad shield.

Very adjustable but also pricey.

Edit: I take it back. it's not as pricey as it used to be but still not cheap.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, DewMan said:

My guess is it's a Madstad shield.

Very adjustable but also pricey.

Edit: I take it back. it's not as pricey as it used to be but still not cheap.

Winner winner chicken dinner lol. Also, another thing I might sell.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:58 AM, Shark said:

Hi there I'm sure everyone has noticed that after several hours on the bike ya rump gets a bit numb I was looking to upgrade the seat but not a fan of the comfort seat stitching why the bike does not come with one beats me I believe they have addressed this with the 2018 model anyway I went to my local bicycle shop purchased a pair of lycra padded pants $80 put ya jeans over the top and they are not visible they do feel a bit funky the first time you put them on but work really well on long rides cheers..

I've tried padded biking shorts underneath my riding pants and experienced what you did and then some. They felt funky as you said but mine didn't increase my comfort time by much, (padding compresses and feels just as hard) if any and they had a very negative affect. They only made my ride more uncomfortable for a different reason, from the excessive heat build up and sweating caused by the extra layer of material. Lycra, polyester, doesn't matter, extra layer of anything in extreme heat is not a good idea. They would probably be alright in a milder climate where an extra layer didn't affect negatively. For summer riding around here I find that it's best to just keep the layers to a minimum (preferably one perforated/breathable layer) and spend the extra money on a proper seat. 

I bought a pair of mesh riding pants thinking they would help with keeping the legs cooler in this heat but I found that you only get the cooling affect on the lower leg that is pretty much straight up and down. The moving air enters through the holes easily there since they face the wind directly, otherwise it just passes over the holes. Any part of the leg (above the knee) that is angled doesn't get the cooling affect, including the crotch of the pant. I'm not saying no one should try padded shorts like that, this is just a heads up in case you live in a hot climate like I do so you don't possibly waste money buying something that counters the good with a lot of bad. 😉  ✌️

Beemer

Astech seats sure worked for me, Feels a little funky at first when I get on . 10 minuets later

all is good for my 200 mile ride.

• Premium Member

ride a authentic stagecoach that has a "plank of wood" for a seat...once you can do 1000miles off road on the plank of wood, the stock FZ-07 seat will feel like a lazy-boy 😁... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

14 minutes ago, mcbrien said:

Astech seats sure worked for me, Feels a little funky at first when I get on . 10 minuets later

all is good for my 200 mile ride.

I went with a local upholstery company that pretty much used the same process and materials in my seat. Since I basically have the same type of seat I can say with certainty that an Astech seat would be a great improvement over the stock seat and they don't change the looks of the seat. If a gel seat can help my achy, old arse it can help anyone's! Here's a link for them. I highly recommend Astech or Corbin for comfort.

http://www.astechseat.com/about/

Beemer

I found gel no more comfortable than an original seat. I found exra foam layers to be the solution for me on three of my bikes.

Just do it! 

Archived