The MT-07 Forum

No rear wheel weights?

Snake

So I was in the process of buying a new rear tire (Michelin Road 5) online and I figured I'd add some stick on wheel weights to my cart, but then I figured I'd go see what's there already to try to get the same kind, I was surprised to see that there's no weights whatsoever on the wheel. I'm pretty its the original tire (Pilot Road 3, ~6500 miles) so how did yamaha manage that? 

Dumb luck.

Yamaha didn't manage a thing. Every tire/wheel is different, even 2 identical tires/wheels of same manufacturer can be very different in actual balance.  I go through lots of tires and see a tremendous variation in amount of weight needed to balance them.  It's not uncommon to need no weight one time and several ounces the next. Rock on. 

Snake, from the factory my FZ had front wheel balance weights but no rears.  I've inquired of 3 technicians after the dealer told me this is not uncommon.  I've never seen it & had the bike in for recent initial 600 mile service and discussed once again.  End result, I've decided to chill & just ride.  Meanwhile no rear end vibrations or ill handling.  So, there you go; another rider without rear wheel balance weights.  Cheers & ride safely, Bob in AZ/USA

there are marking on the tire for heavy spot (Marked yellow or Red) (Yellow is the light spot where i put beside the valve) when i change tires i put this mark on the opposite side of the tire valve Depending on the colour of the marking and when i balance im usually only 5-15 Grams off.

4/10 tires i change need no wheel weights. i usually don't add wheel weights if i get 10 grams or under.

when i balance my race wheels and im 15 grams off, even at 200Kms/H i cant feel any wobble.

@Bobwombat

the front tire is really what needs 0-5Grams anything higher then 10grams you will feel a speed wobble kinda feeling.

rear can go 25Grams and under with no weights.

• Global Moderator

Mine also had no weights on the rear wheel from the factory.  It does now that I had Road 5's installed, but I also had metal valve stems and TPMS sensors added so I expected it. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Mine also had no weights on the rear wheel from the factory.  It does now that I had Road 5's installed, but I also had metal valve stems and TPMS sensors added so I expected it. 

Are the Road 5s all they claim to be?
I've got them on my short list of upgrades from the Bridgestone OEMs.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

On the original tire and wheel, no rear weights for me as well.

When I installed S21 tires about 3000 miles ago, I used balance beads instead of wheel weights.   All good so far.  Been up to 110 mph.  The balance beads are fed into the tire through the valve stem once the tire is installed.  Takes about 10 minutes per tire.  I'm happy to have no weights that "could" fall off.  I see some race bikes with duct tape double assuring the weights won't fall off.  Kinda ugly. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Are the Road 5s all they claim to be?
I've got them on my short list of upgrades from the Bridgestone OEMs.

I have been very happy with the 5's.  I did the front suspension at the same time so I cannot say how much of the improvement was because of that or the tires, it was probably a combination of both.  The Bridgestones were very squared off, so I am sure that was also a factor.  I would definitely buy them again though. 

Archived