The MT-07 Forum

Rear spools on 2018 MT 07?

dankykang

Hi guys,

Bought a brand new 18 MT 07 a few weeks ago and I bought Vortex spools at the dealer since I knew I would be doing maintenance pretty early on e.g. adjust the chain tension today & will do break in service myself. Rear spools are usually easy af to install so I didn't even bother looking at the part. The parts lady just looked it up in her parts book and handed em to me. Now that I'm trying to install them I can't find the spool bosses to install the spools in! Do I actually need to go get a spindle to thread through the axle? Or are there spool bosses I'm missing here?

Also if I need to buy a spindle I'm tempted to just return these ones if there's a set out there that comes with the spindle. Pretty miffed at the parts lady for giving me these. And where can I get the spindle or set with spindle?

I bought a chinese version of this type of adjuster/spool mount. Well made, cheap and works.

http://anunaki-parts.com/en/yamaha-fz-07-mt-07/207-chain-adjuster-with-spool-yamaha-fz-07-mt-07.html

I drilled the swingarm and threaded a locating screw into the adjuster block so it stays there when the axle is out.

The ones that go on the axle itself are problematic when using spools to adjust the chain or remove the rear wheel.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

"A lot of FZ07 riders do end up drilling the swing arms." I considered that and welding in a compression post , but I remember reading tha the steel alloy the swing arm is made from is some proprietary  blend and working so in the absence of sufficient info I moved away from that idea. It may be perfectly fine. The lack of real info is what stopped me.

It is VERY thin and skin loaded so a hole may be problematic. NOTE: MAY be

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

markstertt
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, gregjet said:

"A lot of FZ07 riders do end up drilling the swing arms." I considered that and welding in a compression post , but I remember reading tha the steel alloy the swing arm is made from is some proprietary  blend and working so in the absence of sufficient info I moved away from that idea. It may be perfectly fine. The lack of real info is what stopped me.

It is VERY thin and skin loaded so a hole may be problematic. NOTE: MAY be

The alloy steel drilled and filed similar to a 4130 chromoly... I wouldn't hesitate to tig weld since the factory had no issues mig welding. It's actually not that thin but thin enough that I designed my spindle to go completely thru both sides to spread the load, I regularly sit on the bike with it lifted by the spools.  I did chamfer the holes inside and out as per good shop practice. Had I not been worried about burning the paint, I would have welded the inboard end of the spindles to the swing arm but the loctited and lock washered small hex socketed retaining screws are more than adequate.

With care and a good technique, the swingarm wouldn't have to be removed to drill thru but I had it off anyway so clamping up in the drill press was easy and kept the holes 90* to swingarm leg.

Thanks Cruizin for sharing my earlier post with pix.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 7:16 AM, DewMan said:

I've been happy with Gilles AXB chain adjusters with integrated spools. They're a known brand with a good reputation.

@bellissimoto hooked me up with them at a good price.

@bellissimoto could you PM a quote for the chain adjuster/spools shipped to 92114

as long as they still work with the 18 MT07s

Edited by Carne Seca

3 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

@Carne Seca, I would contact @bellissimoto directly through their website at this link https://www.bellissimoto.com/index.php?route=information/contact.  That way you are not waiting for them to visit the forum. 

still feeling this place out, over on the R1 forum the vendors visit regularly.

but ill check out the site, thanks brah 🤙

• Global Moderator

Most vendors visit fairly regularly and it seems @bellissimoto is here quite a lot, but contacting them directly will be faster and ensure your post is not overlooked amongst all the forum traffic.  

• Like 1

bellissimoto

Hey guys!

Yes, I do check the forum regularly, but it's been pretty crazy lately, lol.  

I'm out of stock at the moment on the Gilles Chain Adfjusters...realistically it'll be about 4 weeks from time to order from when they get here.

I'll PM with price @Carne Seca

:)

- Paul

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I just ended up returning the spools. I have paddles for my stand that feels sturdy on the swingarm in the absence of spools. I still feel more comfortable with spools though so I'll definitely be looking into the suggestions on this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
2 hours ago, Kathy said:

Bellissimoto can you let me know when you have Gilles chain adjusters in stock. Need for my 2018 MT-07 thank you

@bellissimoto will get his attention. 👍 This notifies him that he was referenced in a post.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 9/7/2018 at 6:36 PM, Kathy said:

Bellissimoto can you let me know when you have Gilles chain adjusters in stock. Need for my 2018 MT-07 thank you

Will do.  I have some on order, but not sure when they will be here.  We are getting some Gilles items today in fact, but not sure what is coming in that shipment.

Our inventory levels are in real time now on the website.  Check the following link to check stock:

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/drivetrain/chain-adjusters/gilles-tooling-axb-chain-adjuster-for-the-yamaha-fz-07-mt-07-and-xsr700

Be sure to click the options tab and select the color you want to check stock of that color :)

- Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Old thread, but always a good topic. I'm very happy with the rear axle spools I got as part of my OES Accessories frame slider kit. They sell different combinations of parts including the rear axle sliders (spools) alone. The link above goes to their page that shows them all. 

They look pretty sharp too!

OESSliders.jpg

RightFront.jpg

• Premium Member
On 11/6/2018 at 5:47 AM, Dare738 said:

I would avoid these at ALL cost.... These are junk, I probably have mine laying around my garage somewhere. Poorly designed, not rigid, just no-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/29/2019 at 2:20 PM, rfranzel said:

Old thread, but always a good topic. I'm very happy with the rear axle spools I got as part of my OES Accessories frame slider kit. They sell different combinations of parts including the rear axle sliders (spools) alone. The link above goes to their page that shows them all. 

They look pretty sharp too!

OESSliders.jpg

RightFront.jpg

These spools are great for cleaning the chain and getting the rear wheel up off the ground, but you can't adjust the chain if you're using them to hold the bike up. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, motomeek said:

These spools are great for cleaning the chain and getting the rear wheel up off the ground, but you can't adjust the chain if you're using them to hold the bike up. 

To properly adjust the chain the wheels need to be on the ground anyway.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, DewMan said:

To properly adjust the chain the wheels need to be on the ground anyway.

The OP was asking for spools not just for cleaning but for adjusting. Just wanted to clarify that those won't do it.

And one can adjust on spools. I personally do since it's where the bike sits level before putting it back on the ground to check. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.