The MT-07 Forum

Rear spools on 2018 MT 07?

dankykang

• Premium Member
On 2/12/2019 at 5:36 PM, DewMan said:

To properly adjust the chain the wheels need to be on the ground anyway.

I'm not quite sure this is the case, maybe I'm wrong!!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, fzar said:

I'm not quite sure this is the case, maybe I'm wrong!!

Or I am. 😁

Back in the 80s when I was taking Motorcycle Mechanics training at the local Vo-Tech, I was taught to check slack with both wheels on the ground and even with the rider on the seat for best results. Best practices may have changed since then.

Any current shop mechanics around that can chime in here? It would be appreciated. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Actually best is to compress swingarm to the point where axle, swingarm pivot and front sprocket shaft are all aligned in straight line. This is where chain is tightest. 

If you put aftermarket shock and raise ride height standard chain slack is to tight so aligning it is best way.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, motomeek said:

These spools are great for cleaning the chain and getting the rear wheel up off the ground, but you can't adjust the chain if you're using them to hold the bike up. 

Those are worthless IMO. Cant take wheel off 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 2/13/2019 at 8:01 PM, DewMan said:

Or I am. 😁

Back in the 80s when I was taking Motorcycle Mechanics training at the local Vo-Tech, I was taught to check slack with both wheels on the ground and even with the rider on the seat for best results. Best practices may have changed since then.

Any current shop mechanics around that can chime in here? It would be appreciated. ✌️

It's totally a way to do. I'm not discounting this method at all. I just like symmetry, since I'm a n00b. 

Adjusting Chain with Wheels on the Ground

Adjusting Chain on a Stand

• Like 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's true that my spools are worthless if the goal is to adjust the chain or remove the wheel while the bike is lifted on a stand by the spools. Axle spools cover the axle nuts which must be loosened to adjust the chain. Other swing arm spools leave the nuts exposed making it possible to perform these maintenance tasks on a stand.

On the other hand, it's trivial to remove them for maintenance with a pair of 5 mm allen wrenches.

I installed the OES Accessories slider kit thinking they looked good (matter of opinion), and to protect the bike in the event of a slide. I haven't tested their effectiveness in that regard, and don't plan to.

The manual explicitly states that the chain slack should be checked while on the side stand. It doesn't matter if the adjustment is made on the side stand, or on the appropriate shop (or center) stand so long as the last step is to check and validate the slack on the side stand.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...