The MT-07 Forum

Had the race bike out today

MT27

Thanks for the reminder to knock the old rust off my two bicycles so that there's more room for new rust.

Maybe, someday, I'll put a 50 cc engine on my fixie. Now that would be a good mpg. machine and I could cruise at 35 mph. 🍻

Beemer

Me and my 12" of femur screws just got off my Bridgestone MB4 mountain sled (vintage 1990) - road tires, no more mountain bike crashing for me, lol.  Not quite that hot here yet, but suppose to be into the 90s for the next few days. 

It's a bit too early for the beers, hah, but not by much!   

Wanted to do some concrete repairs today, hmm, think I'll wait

But, i'll take swelter over 35F and rain any day. 

" Bridgestone MB4 mountain sled (vintage 1990)"

Woah!!! serious collectors retro! Did you have any Hipsters chasing you down the road offering to buy it.

Crashing on the road does way more damage than dirt. Got into MTB in the first place because so many of my friends died or were seriously injured on the road.  30years mtb this year and only 2 notable crashes , neither of which has left any notable damage.Only know of one person personally that has died off road and that was a downhiller.

You crash all the time but do little damage most of the time in the dirt.

Wish I hadn't said that, I am going mountain biking in 2 hours...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

That MB4 is such a heavy anchor by today's stds. Front suspensions were pretty new and expensive when that bike was new - so nope at either end. Got it when I moved to Colorado, mostly to commute, but did some trails out there - not much dirt to cushion a fall out there. They don't call 'em the Rockies for nothing! 

I retired my 1986 Miyata Pro road bike after a little fall from a ladder in 2001. The sudden stop at the floor was not kind to my femur. Figure i put ~ 22k miles on that bicycle - still have it. Only thing it collects is dust. By 2001, it was mostly Shimano Ultegra stuff with Campy wheels. Nice solid frame (triple butted, splined - the last truly "made in Japan" bicycle maker). I don't think it couldn't go fast enough to misbehave - at least I never found a hill long/steep enough. Routinely saw  50-53 mph (downhill of course)on my Cateye on one road here in SW PA. But at 22 lbs., it's also really heavy by today's stds.

So it took a ladder going 0mph to hurt me - sheesh! 

Keep the rubber side down gregjet

" Got it when I moved to Colorado". Of course you did. If you read US mtb magazines , it appeared that everybody rode bikes in Colorado at the time...

And everyone who owned a pickup truck out there expected bicyclists to get out of the way or die trying. Bicycling was way more dangerous there than in SW PA

Riding my TCX tonight. Full carbon, 1x11, 700x40 tires.  Rides really smooooth. Not quite as fast as the TCR.

zridetime44.jpg

Nice. I've no idea what it's like to ride a modern, light bicycle

I see pedals in yer future. I started out with straps and cleated shoes back in the 80s. But like click-pop shifters (as opposed to friction/no detents), step-in pedals are wonderful things. You can get MB or touring shoes that have the cleat recessed up into a hole in the bottom of the shoe so you can still walk.  Even on dirt roads or hard pack trails, I'd prefer them to cages and straps any day. 

Cyclocross is booming at the moment MT27. Never tried it but could be fun. My nephew owns a bike shop in Melbourne and has swapped his riding almost entirely from mtb to CX. But definitely clip ins for me. I hate cages.

Archived