The MT-07 Forum

Installed Cartridges, now I have this strange sound.

Braaapmode24

Braaapmode24

Hey guys, so I ordered the Matris kit, and after installing them myself, the forks were making a bad screeching noise when I compressed them. I decided it'd be better if I had a mechanic do it for me, so I took it to a local shop. When I got the bike back, it's still making this sound. Am I being unreasonable by bringing it back to them? Or is this actually normal? To my untrained ear, it sounds like there's no oil in there.

Here's a video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18Gaf4UPFmUHttc2qyhANuh3VcMXToVir

If there's no oil, there will be no damping - you'll notice this in a big way as the bike will bounce all over the place. Just pushing it down and letting go will have it pogoing, which doesn't seem to be happening in that vid

And even though sometimes springs will make some noises as they rub on the cartridge a bit (and that can go away with some miles as stuff gets a polish), what you have is way too much. Maybe they didn't add enough fluid. 

Does the Matris kit specify an air gap over the fluid? 

If so, ask them how high they filled to - while yer standing there with them. If all they did was pour in x milliliters to  both sides, this will be wrong. It's got to be measured in millimeters from the top. Probably somewhere between 120 and 150mm or so. depending on the cartridge. Iirc, OE is 120mm

• Global Moderator

I have the Matris F15K that @pattonme installed and they do not make that noise, so it is not normal.  Beyond that I am afraid I cannot be of any help.  

Archived