The MT-07 Forum

Best MPG/Tank Range Competition

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

I can only do this challenge about once a year. It is SO absolutely boring and tough to not wanna twist that throttle even once.

Like @faffi said, 40mph and 6th gear would be ideal. But driving for 6-7 hours straight like that to get to the end of your tank would be a death sentence.

1 hour ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

I can only do this challenge about once a year. It is SO absolutely boring and tough to not wanna twist that throttle even once.

Like @faffi said, 40mph and 6th gear would be ideal. But driving for 6-7 hours straight like that to get to the end of your tank would be a death sentence.

Thats pretty much how i did it. Take off from lights in 3rd, avoid highways and hills (especially because im....... voluptuous) and cruising in 6th at anything over about 50kph. As soon as i refilled i hit a nice twisty road near mine and hit 90kph in 2nd. Holy $#!7 did it feel great

• Global Moderator
10 hours ago, dmoney said:

Nope. As soon as i got my phone out to try there was an announcement over their PA system saying 'the person at pump 6, please put your phone away'. Something to do with safety and the pump blowing up. Thats why i took the receipt.

You think thats bad, try filling up wearing your helmet. They go nuts

That is weird.  I have never heard of an explosion because of a phone.  It seems that having a hot engine near a fuel pump is WAY more dangerous.  They should not allow that.  I almost never take my helmet off when I fuel and nobody has said anything (or maybe I did not hear them because I had my helmet on). 

I assume you must live somewhere in Europe with all those rules.  

Ive never heard of it either but im not the one you gotta convince haha. There was one time i forgot to take my helmet off and they actually disable the pump i was at until i took it off. 

Im in Australia 

• Global Moderator

The only thing I can think of to explain the helmet is they want the cameras to have photos of your face in case you take off without paying.  It is obviously safer to fuel with your helmet on, why else would they require it for pit crew members refueling race cars. 

njdevils1990

My highest MPG indicated on the dash was 66.9 mpg which came to be actually 72.5 mpg. Most range I got out of literally an entire tank was 252.6 miles.

20180706_192808_zpsk1j4cwrz.jpg

20180706_192819_zpshd5nsoxk.jpg

20180706_192853_zpshm4h2m6n.jpg

All fuel data is here

702149.png

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

My second attempt, and probably my last--my God it was excruciating to ride so slow and easy. 😒

Total KM:  336.8 (209.278 mi)

Reserve KM:  16.9 (10.5 mi)

Litres used:  10.267 (2.71 US gal)

Indicated L/100KM:  3.1 (75.88 US mpg)

Calculated L/100KM:  3.048 (77.17 US mpg)

Mostly secondary roads at speeds of 60 - 70 KM/hr, with a very short stint of highway riding at 100 - 115 KM/hr, using ethanol free 91 octane fuel.  My bike is stock, with a Puig windscreen and I tip the scales at around 205 lbs with gear.

IMG_0009.thumb.jpg.42fdc99d858a737ba8736dbad6bc9bdb.jpgIMG_0010.thumb.jpg.373abdd2f8a65d01762efd2568ef3793.jpgIMG_0011.thumb.jpg.b369145d4194d4fb87cfa7a050f96ad2.jpgIMG_0012.thumb.jpg.46781f32f9d722a033769a207ffac85f.jpg

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

AlbatrossCafe
8 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

My second attempt, and probably my last--my God it was excruciating to ride so slow and easy. 😒

Total KM:  336.8 (209.278 mi)

Reserve KM:  16.9 (10.5 mi)

Litres used:  10.267 (2.71 US gal)

Indicated L/100KM:  3.1 (75.88 US mpg)

Calculated L/100KM:  3.048 (77.17 US mpg)

Mostly secondary roads at speeds of 60 - 70 KM/hr, with a very short stint of highway riding at 100 - 115 KM/hr, using ethanol free 91 octane fuel.  My bike is stock, with a Puig windscreen and I tip the scales at around 205 lbs with gear.

Wow.... I think you win lol. Going only 60-70 KPH means you probably rode close to 5 hours at that speed for this tank. That's discipline right there.

@bornagainbiker Which station are you getting your 91 ethanol free from?  I looked on the pumps (Esso) where I am but couldn't find any indication of ethanol levels on any grade.  

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
5 hours ago, JayMT07 said:

@bornagainbiker Which station are you getting your 91 ethanol free from?  I looked on the pumps (Esso) where I am but couldn't find any indication of ethanol levels on any grade.  

I buy Shell gas, but I believe that all brands of 91 octane gas are ethanol free here--maybe it's an east coast  thing?

24 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

I buy Shell gas, but I believe that all brands of 91 octane gas are ethanol free here--maybe it's an east coast  thing?

Thanks. I'll have to do some digging for ethanol free around here. Closest Shell is about 30km away and in the opposite direction that I normally travel. 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
25 minutes ago, JayMT07 said:

Thanks. I'll have to do some digging for ethanol free around here. Closest Shell is about 30km away and in the opposite direction that I normally travel. 

Try checking the Esso Canada website, maybe their 91 octane is ethanol free too--that's how I discovered that Shell's 91 octane is ethanol free--via their website. 😉

5 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

Try checking the Esso Canada website, maybe their 91 octane is ethanol free too--that's how I discovered that Shell's 91 octane is ethanol free--via their website. 😉

I have already. They just give a blanket statement that their fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol.  Nothing specific about which octane rating has what percentage or if any are ethanol free. 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 minutes ago, JayMT07 said:

I have already. They just give a blanket statement that their fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol.  Nothing specific about which octane rating has what percentage or if any are ethanol free.

Bummer. 🙁

• Premium Member

I'm too lazy to look up where you're at but WAWA usually has certain pumps at each location that offer Ethanol free premium. If my memory servers me correctly it's 93 octane.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived