The MT-07 Forum

The joys of buying a new bike

MT27

I live way out in the middle of nowhere Fl. I drove 75 miles to a ridenow powersports (they are a really big chain ). Struck a deal on a bike, started the paperwork had my checkbook out, started writing the check and the finance guy tells me how expensive the service dept labor rate is and that my first service was $1,000.oo. I got up and told them the deal is off and left. There were a few things I wanted to say, but it’s not worth it. Easiest grand I ever saved.

I stopped in at a second ridenow dealer and was going to pay a few hundred more than what I wanted just to get the MT. Two days later I drive 73 miles to pick the bike up and the guy tells me they don't take checks. The first dealer had no problem with a check. I tore the paperwork in half and walked out. Again there were a few things that I would have enjoyed saying but it’s not worth it.

Out of the 26 motorcycles I have purchased. #27 is turning out to be harder than the previous 26 combined. It might be time to drop the MT idea and just buy something used.

do your own service? Or have an independent shop do it?

There are probably quite a few used bikes around. Where is 'nowhere FL'? Maybe have the more local Yam guy source one for you from the big multi-line dealership or the regional distributor? I'm sure there's quite a few sitting in the warehouse.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I've never had a new bike.  Never bought used from a dealer.  Never had a problem buying a used one from the classifieds or Craigslist.  I found my 1st 2015 FZ 07 with 1800 miles on it abut 90 mIles from where i live and the 2nd with 3000 miles about 120 miles away.  Paid around $6k for each.  They already had a bunch of mods so I didn't get to choose what was on them, but I changed what I wanted to after I got them.

There will probably be a few barely used 2018's hitting Craigslist this fall or winter if you wait it out.

Just make sure to run some sort of title check and make sure that whoever is selling it is the owner on the title.  If anything looks any kind of sketchy, walk away, there's always more out there.

pattonme , yes I can turn a wrench. Tomorrow I am going to play with my old thumper.

I might drag it out and street it again. I'd sumo it but the swingarm is pretty narrow.

ztzzz.jpg

• Global Moderator

My bike has not been back to the dealer except for the battery cable recall.  I had a local shop do the first service as it was my first new motorcycle and I wanted someone with experience to check it over.  If I recall correctly it cost around $150.  It definitely was not much more than that.  He said he was surprised to find the dealer had done a good job prepping my bike.  I guess that is often not the case, and from stories others have posted on the forum I can believe it. 

I bought my bike first and found out later my first service (300 plus $$$) included things that didn't necessarily have to be done and as predicted, they didn't and still don't after 30k miles. I recommend going back to the first place and snatch up the bike you like and ignore their first service and check everything yourself at the recommended time and just check things after that once in awhile (according to manual anyway). 

Beemer

In 5 minutes over the phone I just bought a '18 Z900RS for 20% off MSRP. It's june, mind you. Barely half way into the model year.

Freight+Prep was 545. So some dealers know how to conduct business in an intelligent and professional manner. I don't plan to keep the bike, probably have it a month or two and then sell it for even money because by then it'll be wearing updated forks and a Nitron NTR1 (I have 5 on the shelf) and possibly the Z900 cam shafts.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The first dealer needs to learn that you don't F'k with people and that you need customers way more than they need you. When I worked at dealers we never pulled sh*t on customers. 

It was funny to have a guy come back after we quoted him 6000 OTD and he ended up buying the bike at another dealer because the other dealer sold him the BIKE for less. The only problem was he paid 6300 OTD. I can't tell you how many times that happened.

Archived